Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RB B9 from hell

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

DONT buy the 09 edition RB'S

I got a ws9 break in went smooth first race always flamed out after fuel stops no matter what i did using a rb turbo 6 cpo2 then i changed to the no.5 plug whihc helped but it still flames out leaving the pits, i then tried a gas cooler changing carb restrictor, cheaking leaks everything is fine.

Then engine also seems to run very rich only get bout 7mins and when i lean it out the temps rockets its insane

I was in a qualifing event today of which it ran ok but i have just changed it back to a novarossi as theres a long final tomorrow and dont want to pit and stall every 7 mins.

Also other people at my track made the mistake with ws9 and have since changed engine within 2 gallon.

However i am nt against RBS i do have a RBWS7 11 of which i have well over 35 gallon through and the compression is still imense and i have used it for almost 2 years racing + now a backup engine.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by adz06
DONT buy the 09 edition RB'S

I got a ws9 break in went smooth first race always flamed out after fuel stops no matter what i did using a rb turbo 6 cpo2 then i changed to the no.5 plug whihc helped but it still flames out leaving the pits, i then tried a gas cooler changing carb restrictor, cheaking leaks everything is fine.

Then engine also seems to run very rich only get bout 7mins and when i lean it out the temps rockets its insane

I was in a qualifing event today of which it ran ok but i have just changed it back to a novarossi as theres a long final tomorrow and dont want to pit and stall every 7 mins.

Also other people at my track made the mistake with ws9 and have since changed engine within 2 gallon.

However i am nt against RBS i do have a RBWS7 11 of which i have well over 35 gallon through and the compression is still imense and i have used it for almost 2 years racing + now a backup engine.

I do not mean to start any trouble here. But I know for a FACT the new Mugens are having trouble!!! We fought this with my buddies MBX6 and we had to do some fuel routing and a tank mod. We thought it was the engine too.

I just want to notify you guys that it may be the car. Install a Brand NEW tank, not just a test and see what happens. We fought this for 2 months.

This may not be your problem, I just dont want to see you guys ditch a good motor.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what % fuel do you run I used to run 20% in my nova and then one day it just started to flame out one of the guys I run with is a pro and knows alot about motors and he told me to go up the 30% and the problem was gone. same thing with my buddies 21. JPX it runs great now.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would say try a OD 99 plug or 99T plug if turbo and retune. I had issues tuning Nova plugs. Runs great, then when its hot, it flames after WOT. Tuned it to an OD99, ran fine, installed the another NR #6, back to flaming after WOT. Put the 99 back in, and it has run 2 gallons so far and looks perfect. The RB plugs I believe are Nova plugs, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The RB plugs I believe are Nova plugs, but I could be wrong.
Yes they are, and like i said earlier, not what they used to be.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

One other note, try a different bottle of fuel also or different brand. I have seen bad fuel screw up many people while trying to chase a tuning issue.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tomkat
I've run the engine in both my MP9 and ST-RR (truggy) with same outcome. I use the 2045 aswell and a 7mm venturi (orange). What makes you think this is an airleak? (wouldn't temperature be all over the place, power loss etc. in case of an airleak?).
yes and very erratic tune

odo plugs

i dont say odo plugs for no reason
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

One other note, try a different bottle of fuel also or different brand. I have seen bad fuel screw up many people while trying to chase a tuning issue.
happened to me today. was going to use up my sidewinder 30% thats been here6-7 months,3/4 gone. what a bitch.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I would say try a OD 99 plug or 99T plug if turbo and retune. I had issues tuning Nova plugs. Runs great, then when its hot, it flames after WOT. Tuned it to an OD99, ran fine, installed the another NR #6, back to flaming after WOT. Put the 99 back in, and it has run 2 gallons so far and looks perfect. The RB plugs I believe are Nova plugs, but I could be wrong.
yes they are
Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Until recently I have used sidewinder 25% but in an attempt to solve this problem I have tried to switch brand. I went for the recommendation of RB's own fuel (also 25%). This posponed the wear of the glowplug slightly but nothing that's acceptable. A 30% blend has crossed my mind but according to most sources this will only make the engine even harder to tune - however this might end up as a last desperate attempt before I sack the engine.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Here in Denmark the RB 9 engine is very popular but not throuble free. The RB#6 plug is ok with 30% nitro. The best plug for 25% nitro is SH#7 plug.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have two gallons in my Hobby 9 and it runs suberb at 280 degress!! With the same plug when i purchased new. Lean that son of a %##@^%^& Out!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

initially i'm also having tuning issues with my c6t. it would flameout no matter how i tried to tune it. after i chg from rb#6 plug to os p3 (as recommanded by my lhs), it's been ok so far.

RB engines need a hotter plug to keep its tune!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Glorykid
ok

After speaking to the RB techs at the euros. The problem with flamouts when pitting our just coming out is cold fuel getting on the pipe, savoya runs a splash guard attached to shell that fits between the tank and the pipe.
Your engine sounds to be too rich on the bottom!
Hi.

Do you know why Savoya's engine flamed out 8.30 min. before the end of the Euro A-main?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tomkat
Dear fellow racers,

I have recently purchased an RB B9 which is giving me headaches. Before putting this piece of hardware on the shelf I hope some might have experienced similar problems with their engines. Here's the deal.

Break in done according to RB's manual. Approximately one gallon of fuel has been used so far.

When I run the engine with a brand new RB #6 glowplug (CP2) it runs fine for about a tank or two (sometimes only half a tank). Then it starts to flameout when applying WOT (or at least 3/4 WOT). No matter what I attempt in adjustment this behaviour continues. There is no obvious damage to the glowplug (coil's not broken etc.) and it glows upon testing. If I install a brand new RB #6 glowplug I am able to WOT again but only for a short while (roughly a tank or two again) and problem reoccurs. Something must have happened to the glowplug though? However if I keep power on the glowplug I am able to WOT though! Engine is running slightly on the rich side but nothing that makes it four stroke.

Has anyone had similar behaviour on their engine? (especially RB B9). Any input is appreciated!

Thanks.

/Tom
Hi Tom.

I've seen 2 RB engines (B9 and WS7 III) which flamed out like yours (12 and 6 liters of fuel). Both of them didn't have 100% compression left. I guess it was because of too little break-in time. In other clubs in Denmark, drivers has had the same problems. Often they only had to put a new rear bearing in the beast, and they ran perfect again.
One clubmember runs a WS7 III. It has swallowed +22 liters of SideWinder 25% fuel, and still goes like new. Nothing has been changed. He never sets the HSN screaming lean, and I guess thats why there has been no issues with his engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.