Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by haywood
This has been a disappointing build to say the least. I can already tell I will miss the Xray quality plastics as one of my steering blocks stripped out the first time I ran the screw up on the bottom.
Did you tap the tread with the grub screw, was it tight going in ? If loose that might of been y but also you don't tighten the screws to tight as they are plastic
Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Got my mi5 over 500 laps now and i am very impressed with the steering feel of the car. I changed quite a bit from the kit setup but im a little faster now than i ran with my xray T4. I've raced on open medium grip asphalt with 13,5 blinky. The only thing i think that will improve the car more over my current setup is a shorter front link as the car responds a little to slow to initial steering but has crazy mid and exit steering.

The build of the car is in my experience different than building a xray, but the quality is the same. If u follow the manual and dont wrench on it like its a 1:1 car, i personally dont see any issues with stripping steering block screws or any other part on the car for that matter.

Since its a new car i checked the steering assembly and the rest of the car after pretty much every third or fourth run, and i also noticed there was a little play in the steering rack, but after i rebuild it, it didnt happen again. There is a little play on de rear hubs, but no more than any other car, so its something to keep an eye on, but wont be a issue.

The only issue i have is with the shocks. I build them like every other shock i've ever build , with green slime, and once build they are fine, but after 2-3 runs they seem to bleed a little oil through the bottom of the shock. Im going to try a new set of washers and o-rings just in case, but if that wont help, im going to fit some other o-rings.

I also have received some uncontrolled hits with other cars wich ended with some hard crashes but the only thing that came lose was the bodypost in the rear (wich maybe could be my own fault for not tightening it enough).

I have added my setup sheet for those who want to try something else. If u are running in hot weather i would change the shock oil to 500 front/rear and if u are running on higher traction change the rollcenters to 1mm with 0,5 anti-dive.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Yeah, my shocks leak like crazy as well. I don't think the stock o-rings are a great fit. will try some blue x-rings next and see how they hold up.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My car is done! Can't wait to run it Wednesday night!
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-img_2396.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-img_2391.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
uhm... what the heck are you talking about? Fantom doesn't get their motors from Trinity, they get them right from the manufacturer in China, just like Trinity. Trinity doesn't even warranty the motors... they are sold OEM from the manufacturing line. Anyway, the new trinity motor plate doesn't fit... and I tried the oven trick tonight, and no-go.. didn't help.
Not sure if you got the bearing out yet but if not try tossing the end bell in the freezer overnight. Heating works great on bearing races and the like since the diameter grows larger as the material heats up. My experience with similar problems to yours in the past is that heating a part like this will actually cause the inner hole where the bearing sits to compress as all the metal around it tries to expand.

Good luck
Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

I ran my car today, and used the stock setup. Car was very good, did not change anything. I also put the car on the scale, it needs a diet. Using the full sized battery and servo, my car is at 1525 grams.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
I ran my car today, and used the stock setup. Car was very good, did not change anything. I also put the car on the scale, it needs a diet. Using the full sized battery and servo, my car is at 1525 grams.
Need some HP in there looking at the lap times.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
My car is done! Can't wait to run it Wednesday night!
No signature paint scheme
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I will post my full setup sometime later this week, but my Mi5 is now 2 for 2 in main events and I'm hoping the trend continues. We had pretty good traction today and the car was pretty much flawless the entire time. I was on a TQ run in the second heat but had the track blocked by lapped traffic so ended up just missing it. I was sleeping on the start and gave the leader a bit of a gap. After a few laps I was able to pull in the distance and a mistake by him put me out front. In his effort to close the gap, he clipped a board and launched into the wall putting him out of the race. It was unfortunate as we both push each other to go faster but it is what it is.

The car itself is easy to drive and I can go faster but would have to start cutting closer to our very unforgiving boards. The rear end did step out a couple of times going into the high speed sweeper but other than that the car was flawless. I'll post a setup in the next couple of days but will say that I really like the feel of the mid-engine conversion on carpet. I might swap back to stock next weekend to verify that it's better.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by STLNLST
No signature paint scheme
What are you talking about!?! That is my new signature paint scheme!

I have no desire to spend 2 hours painting a fancy body and I would rather spend the $$ on tires than paying someone to do it for me...lol!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

well, not really. I hate boosted, so I was using non-boosted, running with the boosted drivers. with that in context, I have to say I was going pretty good, don't you agree? look at the 2nd round of quals, look at those lap times
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

besides, I was TESTING! so it really didn't count. lolol
Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AdrianM
What are you talking about!?! That is my new signature paint scheme!

I have no desire to spend 2 hours painting a fancy body and I would rather spend the $$ on tires than paying someone to do it for me...lol!

I wish I could get my wheel wells cut out that nice. Mine always look like 3 year old had at it with a pair of scissors.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
uhm... what the heck are you talking about? Fantom doesn't get their motors from Trinity, they get them right from the manufacturer in China, just like Trinity. Trinity doesn't even warranty the motors... they are sold OEM from the manufacturing line. Anyway, the new trinity motor plate doesn't fit... and I tried the oven trick tonight, and no-go.. didn't help.
Sorry but all Fantom's D3.5's and Revtech's are OEM Trinity motors. Those motors are manufactured exclusively for Trinity. Fantom may be getting direct ships from the manufacturer instead of cartons making a stop at Trinity in Sanford, FL but they write the check to Trinity.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran my MI5 for the first time yesterday and i have to say, it was really good out of the box. I ran the kit setup. I only got one run though. another racer hit a board and knocked it out in front of me and I hit it. the soft aluminum screws did what they were supposed to do...they sheared off which saved the chassis but when the arm yanked off, it pulled the shock with it which broke off the left side of the shock tower. I didn't have a replacement so the car is offline until i can find a replacement. Anyway, first run was very impressive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.