Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

anyone know what the max shock length is (front and rear) before the shock ends start undoing themselves from the shock shaft?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akshayp14
anyone know what the max shock length is (front and rear) before the shock ends start undoing themselves from the shock shaft?
Not sure what you mean. If you are referring to how deep the bottom eyelet screws on I don't, but if you are wanting more droop/stroke I wouldn't unscrew it more than 2 turns. The front screwed all the way on at full droop wont bottom out on the droop screw at full droop so at a full droop like off a jump you would be better off with them screwed all the way on. Your droop will max out around 105.5mm screwed all the way on. Now if you do unscrew them be sure the suspension arms bottom out on the droop screw. You may be able to get around 107mm? And finally if you do unscrew them you will want to fill the void in the eyelet with a short hex head set screw that can be taken out later if desired. If you don't fill the void on compression you will risk them slipping or stripping.

Yes I have been playing with the shocks...LOL The bad news is unscrewing the eyelet the spring will all but be threaded all the way down to the point of no more height adjustment. But 27mm ride height is doable.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

My second HW Xerun 150A in just two months went up in flames. Literally. Had to save my car from going up in flames.

I have two buggies with a HW combo installed in both. Couple of months ago the esc went up in smoke in one of the buggies, and last night the other went out in flames and smoke. Killed a lipo also.

The esc was less than 6 months old, the first just a couple of months.

I have the esc's mounted in my E 3.0's and as you know they are mounted directly on the chassis plate in my case only with a single thin piece of self adhesive tape.

I suspect thay the esc's are not strong enough to withstand this kind of mounting.

It's like the esc at some point just breaks down internally and short circuit itself which causes the massive melt down with smoke and fire.

I'm not saying anything bad about the HW esc, maybe other brand of esc's would not be able to withstand this amount of uncushioned stress.

What are you guys doing to protect your esc. I would hate to have my esc sit and wiggle around or in a pool of shoe goo or somethimg like that. But maybe you just can't have both? I like how it sits flat and neat on the chassis. Maybe the electronics are not just up for the job, yet?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Tech Regular

I have my ESC mounted in the rear like the 2.0 does. Only issue is that there really isn't a completely flat surface cause the battery pad that was there was removed by the former owner that did the battery mod. I have a Tekin RX8 and noticed it had come loose the other day while practicing. A buddy of mine suggested I try Velcro. Apparently he runs it in all his RC vehicles. I went ahead and peeled the old servo tape off the chassis and applied the Velcro he gave me and it seems to be doing fine. The ESC has a little bit of movement, but its not flopping around or anything. Its mounted pretty firm.

Anyone else use Velcro? Or anyone try it and have issues while using it?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Salkin
My second HW Xerun 150A in just two months went up in flames. Literally. Had to save my car from going up in flames.

I have two buggies with a HW combo installed in both. Couple of months ago the esc went up in smoke in one of the buggies, and last night the other went out in flames and smoke. Killed a lipo also.

I have the esc's mounted in my E 3.0's and as you know they are mounted directly on the chassis plate in my case only with a single thin piece of self adhesive tape.

I suspect thay the esc's are not strong enough to withstand this kind of mounting.

It's like the esc at some point just breaks down internally and short circuit itself which causes the massive melt down with smoke and fire.

I'm not saying anything bad about the HW esc, maybe other brand of esc's would not be able to withstand this amount of uncushioned stress.

What are you guys doing to protect your esc. I would hate to have my esc sit and wiggle around or in a pool of shoe goo or somethimg like that. But maybe you just can't have both? I like how it sits flat and neat on the chassis. Maybe the electronics are not just up for the job, yet?
Try this

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...ng-Gel-1-Sheet
Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ps71
That looke like a good solution, thank.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Red face Like 6 in 4 years

Even top brands melt.... that tape looks good.

Originally Posted by ps71
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Even top brands melt.... that tape looks good.
Wow, that looks like mine.

Yes, guess everything can go up in smoke.

Also had a Mamba Monster esc some time ago that just refused to carry on living and went up in smoke.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just double up the double sided tape by 3M the grey kind and the clear kind is even way more shock absorbing. Plus it's half the price of the Kyosho stuff and a roll will last WAY longer...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a 4 year old (yes 4) HW 150a in mine without issue (other than a little big). I always mount them on the Kyosho helicopter gel (http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...HanPlwVE3w_wcB) and have never had an issue.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer
I just double up the double sided tape by 3M the grey kind and the clear kind is even way more shock absorbing. Plus it's half the price of the Kyosho stuff and a roll will last WAY longer...
+1. I used three layers of the 3M 20lb tape. Not so much for cushion but to get the Xerun 150amp above the edges of the chassis cutout. With a Castle BEC strapped to the side of it the font print is pretty big.

BTW, the Xerun 150 amp in my 8ight has been going strong since 2011. Been running it off and on during that time frame.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't understand the "taper up" phenomenon...

I guess if you don't have jumps that need pack, it could make sense. But it seems weird to have a slower rebound stroke and a faster up stroke....

What is the part# for the 1.2x8 taper piston???

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by skrichter; 06-09-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default Astro or grass setup??

Hey guys, picked a 3.0e kit on the weekend. My first meet with it shall be on grass, now already on the box setup, it feels much different to my old MBX6 Nitro, the 6 was a beast. Always fast.

So, I'm wondering if anyone had a grass setup or even an astro setup.

I can't really ask for tips at the track. Because it consists of Mugens (mostly mbx7's), some kyoshos and a few xray. And 3or 4 losi 2.0. I know of a base setup from a local guy from a 2.0 but the 3.0 is obviously a different car.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Had a good weekend with the 3.0.....Just had a couple questions, I am running a tekin rx8 gen 2 with gen 2 1900kv, 15/45 gearing. I cut the vents in the stock losi body and my motor was running 172-175, Esc was 98 degress. I am use to running 1/8 nitro so im not real familiar with these electric motors.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiracer22
Had a good weekend with the 3.0.....Just had a couple questions, I am running a tekin rx8 gen 2 with gen 2 1900kv, 15/45 gearing. I cut the vents in the stock losi body and my motor was running 172-175, Esc was 98 degress. I am use to running 1/8 nitro so im not real familiar with these electric motors.
Temps are perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.