Search

Losi 8ight or Xray XB808

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
+1

Those are the kind of responses hobbyists like to hear not comments about I hate these 6 things about the car and how they are biased towards one brand. Either way you go both cars are down right awesome. Get one, get setup, practice, race, and win trophies with either ride.
Or even just have fun. That is, after all, what this hobby is. A ridiculous amount of fun. If only the general population knew...
Old 08-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

My 8ight shocks had slop in the top mounting point (on the shock tower) after some time the shock cap worn a hole and oil starting coming out...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taurius
My 8ight shocks had slop in the top mounting point (on the shock tower) after some time the shock cap worn a hole and oil starting coming out...

bah...no comment....your FULL of it imo....ive been running my 8ight's for over a year...and ive never heard of this shock issue.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
bah...no comment....your FULL of it imo....ive been running my 8ight's for over a year...and ive never heard of this shock issue.
I agree , I`ve been running my 8ight every weekend ever since they first came out .
Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taurius
You must have the RTR plastic caps, because the metal ones that are in the race roller or the kit don't ware.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The RTR plastic caps don't wear either.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
It might happen if somebody forgot to put the shock mount bushing on the shock post...
Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree with everyone else. You can't go wrong with either car, but Since I own the 808, I can tell from experience that It is cream of the crop. I have no complaints at all except for the parts pricing, and you can really only buy stuff online. People told me before I bought, that Xray is the Mercedes Benz of RC cars, and I have to say I agree with that. The car is bullet proof, handles like a dream, both on power, and off, fast as hell, and I have nothing bad to say about it. On another note, since you are not quite ready to buy, why not wait till the new MP9 and the Hyper 9 are released, and then you can evaluate all 4, and make your choice.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

I've had both rides.

Both buggies are good race machines, YOU could win with both!

I didn't want to just post the old argument of "one is better than another", so I took the time to look back at my results. The results of my last 5 expert races with each brand, here is how I faired:

Losi 8ight:
(BTW I owned the losi for 6 months) I went back and looked at my results online, and my posts on another forum from after each race.
1. 1st in the B-main bumped up to A,.. rear pinion went out in the A.
2. Finished 7th in the A-main
3. DNS A main as (3rd qualifier),.. throttle servo burned on starting line.
4. Qualified 5th in the A-main,.. shock piston fell off 3 laps in.
5. Qualified 2nd in the A-main,.. then servo number 4 burned out 10 min in.

Xray XB808:
(I've owned one for 4 months)
1. Finished 4th in the A-main
2. Finished 1st in the A-main Lapped the field almost twice...
3. Finished 2nd
4. Finished 3rd A-main in a big two day race, and won a jumbo trophy!
5. Finished 5th in the A-main after two flame outs (dang glow plug).

I just wanted to point out one thing..... I"M THE SAME MECHANIC AND DRIVER with both buggies, and yes I'm using the same servos. I also want to point out that in 4 months of racing, I've cut my cost of maintenance in half while driving the Xray, far surpassing the extra $180 I paid for Xray the kit. I'm actually having fun racing again.

Summary:
So I guess I have to give the consistency, durability, acceleration, speed, handling, jumping, stability, steering, longevity, and lower running cost to the XRAY! ...And no I'm not sponsored, I'm just a racer...

I give the Losi the parts availability, and props to the team drivers...
Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
I've had both rides.

I didn't want to just post the old argument of "one is better than another", so I took the time to look back at my results. The results of my last 5 expert races with each brand, here is how I faired:

Losi 8ight:
(BTW I owned the losi for 6 months) I went back and looked at my results online, and my posts on another forum from after each race.

Xray XB808:
3. Finished 2nd

I just wanted to point out one thing..... I"M THE SAME MECHANIC AND DRIVER with both buggies, and yes I'm using the same servos. I also want to point out that in 4 months of racing, I've cut my cost of maintenance in half while driving the Xray, far surpassing the extra $180 I paid for Xray the kit. I'm actually having fun racing again.

Summary:
So I guess I have to give the consistency, durability, acceleration, speed, handling, jumping, stability, steering, longevity, and lower running cost to the XRAY! ...And no I'm not sponsored, I'm just a racer...

Old 08-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I've had both rides.

Losi 8ight:

Xray XB808:
3. Finished 2nd

Summary:

From your post I would say, that it seems to me that the Losi breaks down, and the Xray wins!! Nuff said!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Humm I've always been a fan of losi stuff and I've never had an xray. When I started 8th scale off road i've always had a mugen, I could drive that car hard. I quit for 2 years and got a MbX-5 and went to race that weekend and i finished second my first time out. only thing I broke on it was an after market chassie brace cause i plowed into the face of a jump with the front end. Oher than that the car was a blast. Has anyone seen pic's of the MBX-6?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've had both rides.

Losi 8ight:

Xray XB808:
3. Finished 2nd

Summary:

Well I guess according to this post Losi is just plain garbage. Losi sure seems to be on the lines of a redcat or himoto with all these problems. I just want to take a look at your problems for a moment.

1. rear pinion went out = maintenance rarely see this happen on any buggy and when it does it's generally traced back to maintenance.

3. & 5. You burned up 4 servos. This was a Losi issue with adding the O-rinng and properly setting your EPA's. This issue should have been solved after the 1st burned out servo. I and many others never experienced the issue due to setting servo's correctly from the begining. others who burned out servo's and replaced reset there EPA's never had another problem.

4. Shock piston fell off out of the blue just fell off. Sounds more like not properly reinstalling piston. Now if you said it broke that I can maybe go for that. Allthough I never seen anyone break the pison. Seen rods bent.

More than anything I am NOT bashing you just pointing out. That most of your problems seem to be maintenance and user error than manufactors defects. It is inherent in a man to blame the machine and not reevaluate what he did wrong or coud be doing wrong. The greatest growth of a man or driver is when he understands his faults and moves to fix his issue. Which always makes his machine and everything around function at a higher level.

Did you ever take in to consideration that when you changed to X-ray your mindset changed also. You chose a better setup that accomodated your driving style better. You started performing better maintenance from the lessons you learned running your Losi.

Again I'm not bashing you I am glad you are winning with your X-ray they are beautiful buggies. Your success is everyone success it fuels the fire to win in everyone and compete against you. However don't place your faith in a piece of equipment when the only real difference probally was you and your learned skills. To say a piece of equipment was the difference is to say your really not that good of a driver unless you have product A under certain conditions. Thats not the sign of a good driver and you must be one because you are winning. Buggies don't win you make them win.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Yer gotta agree vladconnery, I don't think that maintainance was his strong point
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Well I guess according to this post Losi is just plain garbage. Losi sure seems to be on the lines of a redcat or himoto with all these problems. I just want to take a look at your problems for a moment.

1. rear pinion went out = maintenance rarely see this happen on any buggy and when it does it's generally traced back to maintenance.

3. & 5. You burned up 4 servos. This was a Losi issue with adding the O-rinng and properly setting your EPA's. This issue should have been solved after the 1st burned out servo. I and many others never experienced the issue due to setting servo's correctly from the begining. others who burned out servo's and replaced reset there EPA's never had another problem.

4. Shock piston fell off out of the blue just fell off. Sounds more like not properly reinstalling piston. Now if you said it broke that I can maybe go for that. Allthough I never seen anyone break the pison. Seen rods bent.

More than anything I am NOT bashing you just pointing out. That most of your problems seem to be maintenance and user error than manufactors defects. It is inherent in a man to blame the machine and not reevaluate what he did wrong or coud be doing wrong. The greatest growth of a man or driver is when he understands his faults and moves to fix his issue. Which always makes his machine and everything around function at a higher level.

Did you ever take in to consideration that when you changed to X-ray your mindset changed also. You chose a better setup that accomodated your driving style better. You started performing better maintenance from the lessons you learned running your Losi.

Again I'm not bashing you I am glad you are winning with your X-ray they are beautiful buggies. Your success is everyone success it fuels the fire to win in everyone and compete against you. However don't place your faith in a piece of equipment when the only real difference probally was you and your learned skills. To say a piece of equipment was the difference is to say your really not that good of a driver unless you have product A under certain conditions. Thats not the sign of a good driver and you must be one because you are winning. Buggies don't win you make them win.

I totally agree !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.