What Car to get?? HPI? AE? XRAY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Car to get?? HPI? AE? XRAY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

xray is a really nice car, probably my next one, mabe a pro 4. my deciding factor between the two would be shaft or belt. i like my tc4 but i just dont like the fact that i have to keep buying hopups for it. i do not like the ae shocks at all i just want to buy a kit and not worry about shimming things and all that stuff just build it race it win it
Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Pro4Capece]
Originally Posted by Ben.C
After reading the article,I think its a very easy acar to work on. Losi cars are also winning races. And as a american car,parts should be readily available.

QUOTE]

I've heard/seen the complete opposite a friend of mine broke one of those plastic bulkheads in practice. If I'm going to drop over 300 clams on a chassis, I shouldn't get cheapo plastic bulkheads. Also, the owner has said that his old XXX-S is a faster car. He's no newbie and prob could be a factory racer if he raced more often.
!!! OMG!!! Thats very bad...However I have a friend who is driving this car had so far not much problems with it.Like yeah,what you said,the bulk heads are still plastic and would probably break too...

I have a friend could so bent a alu bulkhead,don't see why plastic don't break... Good point.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by i_got_m8_4_$85
xray is a really nice car, probably my next one, mabe a pro 4. my deciding factor between the two would be shaft or belt. i like my tc4 but i just dont like the fact that i have to keep buying hopups for it. i do not like the ae shocks at all i just want to buy a kit and not worry about shimming things and all that stuff just build it race it win it
Would probably go for the belt if you don't like to shim stuffs. I think the pro4 needs the diffs to be shim properly so that the bevel gears won't strip during a collision head on to the wall....
Old 07-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Anyone noticed how on most of the "this vs. that" threads, the guys always say the car they own is best?
actually not once did i mention what i own...... but thanks for noticing
Old 07-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

OK, here's my 2 cents. I have a TC4 with ti turnbuckles and no other upgrades. The car is very easy to drive and easy to set up. I bought the FK05 to give belts a try and sold it within a month. Very fast car but very expensive to buy parts for. Now I have the RDX and love it. Not alot of support from my LHS but after two months of racing, I still have every spare part that I started with. The XRay always seemed to be on the edge of control, but the Corally drives very smooth. Two locals with the LOSI love them. Figure out what is important to you and then buy. If you need local support, you're probably better off with the TC4 or HPI. If you don't mind internet shopping, the RDX and XRay are both great cars. If you're looking for ease of maintenance, the new Yok belt drive is awesome. You give me a penny for my thoughts and I put my two cents in, you're making money off of me.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go for the xray if you can get spare parts easily ,even though it dosen't brake, it's still best to get a car that you can get spares for

Charles
Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ALBERTO
actually not once did i mention what i own...... but thanks for noticing
You didn't even make a suggestion as to which one you liked best
Old 07-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really loved my xray. such an easy car to work on. No need for extra parts to get those anti-dive/squat settings. It is a durable car, but i did break a knuckle during a practice run.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=stiltskin]The XRay always seemed to be on the edge of controlQUOTE]

This is the reason I nixed my XRay too. I couldn't drive the FK on rubber tires (although it was a good foam car) The Losi was better on rubber tires but I went back to foam (hey, all I do is carpet! might as well do it the right way and help put a groove on the track )
Old 07-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

every single one of those cars are great.... just pick one you can get part for ..... just in case
yes i did .......
Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

yes i did .......
where
Old 07-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

whatever he could get parts for.... the decision should be his not ours.... that way there's no one to blame but himself
Old 07-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

From a quality and durability standpoint I would say go with the X-Ray.

The AE cars and the Pro4 are also good performers with reasonable durablity (aside from the 1-way bevel gears). Between the AE and HPI offerings I would suggest the Pro4, it is constructed from higher quality materials.

Mark
Old 07-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mtveten
From a quality and durability standpoint I would say go with the X-Ray.

The AE cars and the Pro4 are also good performers with reasonable durablity (aside from the 1-way bevel gears). Between the AE and HPI offerings I would suggest the Pro4, it is constructed from higher quality materials.

Mark
i agree when the pro4 is running one-way the front gears strip pretty easy when in a couple of hard hits. But i just recently found out my one-way shimming was different than the stock set-up this whole time...ooops
Old 07-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by axel
i agree when the pro4 is running one-way the front gears strip pretty easy when in a couple of hard hits. But i just recently found out my one-way shimming was different than the stock set-up this whole time...ooops

The HPI gear stripping problem will go away if you use ball diff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.