Search

The Coming Battery Wars of our Age ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Noah R.
Well,
If you think about this logically you'll realize that NimH's would eventually be replaced. Nicads were replaced with NimHs and if I had to guess the price equivliency was the same back then as it is now.
Definitly, I remeber the days of my nicd 2800mah when 3000mah nimh just kinda came around. 100 a pack too if i remember or close too it.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedracer19
I just hope that race dir.'s will only go to 8 min. race's.

Yeah, that would prevent the need for and hopefully the marketing of the matched pushed battery needs.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Roar will listen to the customers & what they want to see happen. Currently electric mainly consists of short mains & people whining about how they still want to use brushed motors & nimh cells. There are still people who have been taking advantage of this technology & will continue to take advantage of this technology. Roar is only kidding itself if it expects brushed motors & nimh cells to stick around. As more people enter the rtr & lipo market they will become cheaper & more dependable. Just take a look at the li//bl plane market. You can find 7500mah 2s lipos 25c rating for under $60 & you can find an esc +540 bl motor for under $100. When people are asked to spend $800 to get into 1/8th scale they still jump on the band wagon. They will do the same for a cheaper & very apealing electric class.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Just take a look at the li//bl plane market. You can find 7500mah 2s lipos 25c rating for under $60 & you can find an esc +540 bl motor for under $100.
Where??? Seriously... I've been looking at getting some electric planes and I haven't seen any batts or motor/esc combos that cheap.

As for the battery wars. Run time is no longer the issue. Now if they make our mains and heats longer then it may become an issue but right now its not. In flying there are definitely differences from pack to pack that are rated the same but come from different companies. You can actually tell the difference. I'm sure the same is true for the different car packs. I currently run Trak Power lipo packs in my cars. Currently I can run 2 heats with a single charge and turn lap times just as fast in the 2nd heat as I did the 1st heat. I haven't gotten a chance to try any other brands but I'd like to soon to see if there is a difference. The war will consist of who can deliver them most power out of the pack just as the NiMh war has been.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

I just started running lipo's in my race cars (Track just started letting us) but I have been flying with lipos for 3+ years.

Since I started the battery wars have been hot and heavy with new packs coming out with higher C ratings and lighter packs every 3-6 months.

I expect to see the same in car packs. I also expect to see companies lie about capacity and C ratings as they have been doing in the air packs.

I have been in this hobby for 25+ years and there has always been "battery wars", it won't end any time soon.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

There are weight limits & I can make a 20 minute main in mod while pulling wheelies down the back straight 20 minutes into the main. If you want a cell that is produced by an honest manufacturer then run a123 cells. You can pick up 10 cells for about $100 in a dewalt 36volt pack. I currently run a 2s 3p pack in my xxx-t & it performs great. Not to mention I love the 15 minute charge times.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Even with a difference in performance between batteries, in off-road, there is so much extra capacity left in the battery after a race, that if you have a medocre pack, you can make up for it with a faster motor. That is a good thing, that creates balance.

For extended races (i.e. 20 minutes), that medorce pack is no longer competitive, because to make the longer race, you'll have to use a more conservative motor.

I'm not saying 'don't increase race length', I'm just saying don't increase race length too much.

20 minute races would require expensive lipo's, 8 minute races would require any lipo. <---example

Last edited by Scrubb; 01-17-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Talking

what battery wars. hell i already run practice at 20-25 min and repeak for the heats & mains! where's the war at!

4200'$ ePOWER cells!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

I make 20 minute races w/ a pack I paid $45 shipped for & its been run around 200+times & still pulling those wheels off the ground late into the main. Oh yeah, thats while running a mamba 7700. Perhaps you need to stop wasting money on things you don't need so that you can purchase the items that you actually need. There is a weight limit in rc that is already pushed by the current "heavey lipos". If you show up to run mod & your running a $250 battery that you actually paid for then I'm just going to laugh to my self about what a waste of money. If you invested $250 in a battery so that you can be .0001 seconds faster each lap in stock & you can actually notice a difference then you need to move on to mod.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can see some "battery wars" of a sort for those running stock classes, but nothing like we have always had with nickel cells. And the llipo-of-the-month is not what it has been the past 3-4 years either.

Here's why IMO.

1. Lipos have caught up to the current demands of cars. 8c 10c 12c.... were not good enough, but today we have true 20c+ cells and most car racing doesn't put much strain on these good batteries.

2. Lipos have a more flat discharge and are more similar from one brand to the next than nickels.

2. Capacity is not an issue, so voltage drop late in the run isn't a concern. So all that matters is how the pack maintains voltage under race conditions.

Obviously, not all lipo packs are the same... some will have better performance... hold higher voltage under a given load. So some packs may have more punch than others.

BUT.... the only time this matters much is in stock classes... and stock does not push the battery as much so that will somewhat level the small differences in performance from one pack to another. IMO, most of the current name brand car lipos will be similar... only crappy packs with over-rated specs (from questionable sources) will have a noticeable performance issue.

I think word will spread about any such poor lipo packs and the consumer will sort out the crap. It won't take long to figure out what packs are the good ones.

Kinda like stock motors... serious racers know which ones to buy, and the ones to avoid like the plague.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stallard
I just started running lipo's in my race cars (Track just started letting us) but I have been flying with lipos for 3+ years.

Since I started the battery wars have been hot and heavy with new packs coming out with higher C ratings and lighter packs every 3-6 months.

I expect to see the same in car packs. I also expect to see companies lie about capacity and C ratings as they have been doing in the air packs.

I have been in this hobby for 25+ years and there has always been "battery wars", it won't end any time soon.
I voted for the Lipo fans on rcrcr.
I may be a Lipo fan someday....lol, but I got those 3600 Elite NiMh packs and they are what they say they are better than the 3800 IB cells.
But I dont like the IB's because people in japan have defintly
had "BLOW UP" issues with the new 4600 IB cells.
But you and Robbie and I shouldnt have to worry about that...
I just hope Chris doesnt go Lipo, he shouldnt, but we'll see April 12th...lol
I cannot wait to hit those tripples with this car.
Maybe he can go to Albion next week I do plan on going so mark me down please.

Last edited by bmaglinger; 01-17-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I do not belive though that NimH's will be phased out completely, due to the fact that 12th scale onroad requires NimH's and so dose Oval. The weight of the battery is the main problem for smaller / oval cars
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Just run like a 3kmah lipo lipo w/ a gtb 10.5 for pan car & add lead weights to oval.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Definitly, I remeber the days of my nicd 2800mah when 3000mah nimh just kinda came around. 100 a pack too if i remember or close too it.
When I first got into RC racing I ran 1200mah NiCd's in my 1/12th 4-cell carpet car and 1/10th Kyosho Turbo Optima....LOL
Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
When I first got into RC racing I ran 1200mah NiCd's in my 1/12th 4-cell carpet car and 1/10th Kyosho Turbo Optima....LOL
Same here, scary how long ago that was!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.