Wiki Posts
Search

WHAT ORDER DO YOU SET YOUR CAR UP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default setup problem

everytime i try to setup my car. i cant seem to get my ride height to stay were i want it. as soon as i set droop it seems like my ride height goes up. an then my supension is tweaked(cant seem to correct to it). ive reset my car up at least 3times a day since sunday tryin to get it right. but no luck yet im going to keep working with it until i figure it out.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by crACkeD ChaSsiS
everytime i try to setup my car. i cant seem to get my ride height to stay were i want it. as soon as i set droop it seems like my ride height goes up. an then my supension is tweaked(cant seem to correct to it). ive reset my car up at least 3times a day since sunday tryin to get it right. but no luck yet im going to keep working with it until i figure it out.
Try seting your droop screws all the way out , level with the bottom of the A arms. Set your height, then camber, then your droop.It could be that you are pre loading your springs too much...............
Old 03-29-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I set up my car in the following order:

1. Check car for obvious problems - loose screws, excessive tweak, broken parts, etc.
2. Droop - shocks off
3. Hudy set up station
4. Ride height
5. Tweak
Old 03-29-2006, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Try seting your droop screws all the way out , level with the bottom of the A arms. Set your height, then camber, then your droop.It could be that you are pre loading your springs too much...............
Slotmachine is right. This is a common issue that drivers have. Other than using the method I described above, it's best to set your downstop screws further out before setting ride height, camber & front toe. This way you won't compress the springs (preload) accidentally and have problems with the ride height fluctuating when setting the droop as a final step.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Rookie

the best order for me is to stick cells in it and away i go :P lol nah what they guys are saying sounds good!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by crACkeD ChaSsiS
One thing a lot of people just stuck doing is following other peoples set-ups. Just because someone else uses 7mm of droop, does not mean you can use the same amount of droop. Droop is dependant on ride height and tire diameter. Unless you have the same car, same tires and same ride height, you cannot use someone's elses droop measurment.

If changing your droop alters the ride height, you are in fact running NO droop. When the car is at rest, the droop screews should not hit the chassis at all. Most people these days measure uptravel. I've been doing this for years and find it much better and easier.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I`m still having a hard time understanding how your droop would effect your height when set properly. Droop when set properly would never effect height !

I`ve been seting cars up for a lot of years and always set ride height first, then camber , then droop .........I think you will find that , that is why everyone is having a hard time understanding your set up directions , they have always heard of people doing it always set ride height first, then camber , then droop
Paul R.
I agree with you totally Slotmachine. I was just saying it COULD be done that way. But let me I would go further to say if you mean set your UP travel after ride height I agree. But I would still recommend using a droop gauge with the shocks off and get the droop even, doesn't matter what height, just get them even so you know for a fact that other factors are not effecting your droop. Then do everything - ride height etc, then final step do your up travel droop.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC_Woody
I agree with you totally Slotmachine. I was just saying it COULD be done that way. But let me I would go further to say if you mean set your UP travel after ride height I agree. But I would still recommend using a droop gauge with the shocks off and get the droop even, doesn't matter what height, just get them even so you know for a fact that other factors are not effecting your droop. Then do everything - ride height etc, then final step do your up travel droop.
Yes I concur......................
Old 03-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default WELL

Well, this thread is clear as mud.

Last edited by imjonah; 03-29-2006 at 08:39 PM.