Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
American drivers use pistol grip radios, European/Asian drivers use stick radios >

American drivers use pistol grip radios, European/Asian drivers use stick radios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American drivers use pistol grip radios, European/Asian drivers use stick radios

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Bubblestc3
Another addition to the list of European/Asian drivers with pistol grip radios, is Atsushi Hara. He also uses the KO Propo Mars-R.
yeah hara uses a steer wheel.
so does surikarn and suzuki from team tamiya.
barry bake uses steer wheel?
Old 11-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, Barry Baker does use a "wheel" transmitter, the Airtronics M8
Old 11-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by trf racer
no he uses a ko stick transmitter.
Now I remember, a few weeks ago he was down at SoCal practicing(for the worlds, I guess), and he was using a duel stick transmitter
Old 11-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

seems like the asian and japan also like the steer wheels better.
what you use bubbles?
ive got a 3pk.simply the best
Old 11-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have a M8, although I did have a 3pjs(very good radio), and was thinking of getting a 3pk, but the price was MY chosing factor...
Old 11-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Initiate

the ko ex10 helios is by far and a way the best radio and most comfortable wheel radio i have owned a 3pj an d a 3pk and an m8 and i still think that the ko is the best radio
Old 11-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by dandyspashett
I have problems finding replacement screws for my TC3.

Screwdrivers too! Associated should consider selling their cars equipped with metric screws for sale outside USA
You can use a 3mm tap and open the holes to 3mm for metric screws. The trick is to not tap it as deep as the length of the screw, that way it cuts it's own threads the last few turns and makes for a good tight tension fit. If you tap it all the way it will most likely want to loosen up or strip.

I personally prefer metric screws myself. For some reason the 3mm thread size seems to be the best application for r/c vehicles. Any smaller and you can't put much torque on a composite peice- any bigger and it's too heavy or requires large clearance holes.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

me too,
I love metric!
M3 baby!
I don't like stripping out hex screws
Old 11-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: American drivers use pistol grip radios, European/Asian drivers use stick radios

I'm in europe too, and I'm using a pistol type radio.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

I have only seen one guy use a stick controled radio... and it was at SoCal a couple months ago.. he didn't do to bad with it! but it sure was goofy to look at. I kept looking around for a tyco radioshack RC
Old 11-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by holycow
I have only seen one guy use a stick controled radio... and it was at SoCal a couple months ago.. he didn't do to bad with it! but it sure was goofy to look at. I kept looking around for a tyco radioshack RC
lol
Old 11-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Watched a lot of guys at the Worlds Off roads use joy stick radios, and they made it LOOK easy. Most of them were from the UK, Matt Griffin from Austraila uses pistol grip .Was a lot of fun watching them at work. I have enough trouble with one wheel, never mind 2 sticks.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default sticks?

i've tried both and the problem people have with pistol grip id being vertical on the steering. i see plane guys try to turn the radio on it's side to get a feel for the left/right aspect. the problem with stick is coordination of two controls right side by side and using only thumbs. with a pistol grip, it becomes second nature and you know how to turn the wheel without thinking with practice. i think you can get better control, speed and reaction tome with pistol grip because it's a less awkward position. thats just my 2 cents
Old 11-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

im from scotland and use a stick radio and so does the mojority of people i see racing , we do get some coments from the guys racing there pistol grips saying we are fishing but i thinks its jsut we beat them so badly...
Old 11-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have watched Masami Hirosaka run his car with his feet and whip up on guys with pistol grip radios.It is all a matter if you have started with a 2 stick radio or pistol from the beggining.
When I started out I used a 2 stick radio and was fine with it.I recently used a friends Vantage II at a club race to practice with and I was only 2 tenths slower a lap with it.I have airplane experience so it makes it more intuative to me personally.I bet if I ran it more often I could be just as fast{or slow} with it as I am with the Helios.Its all in preference and in the states here,we usually run Pistol grip radios.In england,thats usually the opposite.sCraig drescher could probably go to Socal on any given night and woop up on all you pistol toting racer except maybe the top factory guys so,one is not better then the other.Its driver preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.