Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I've just read on LosiBk2.com that Team Losi are not sending a team to the worlds. >

I've just read on LosiBk2.com that Team Losi are not sending a team to the worlds.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've just read on LosiBk2.com that Team Losi are not sending a team to the worlds.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Lou
I hope that isnt true, at least for our mutual acquaintance.

Years ago the the team concept of marketing R/c seem a requirement necessary to sell r/c car kits...
Today this has change , no longer is it "win & sell" ...

Now having just a few team driver`s as possible to promote prime market area`s in the country`s R/c market is all that is necessary...

The old way, was to employ as many team driver`s as possible to dominate and win the big events..
This is expensive and not profitable today...
Winning a big race just does not sell as many car`s as it use too....
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm obviously not a team driver but I disagree with the potential impact of team drivers. ESPECIALLY in this case. Let's say Losi does step out of RC Racing... That leaves Associated as the ONLY manufacturer producing a stadium truck worthy of racing... Yeah, there's going to be people that pipe up and say what about this truck, or what about this truck..... But whatever manufacturer beats a T4 at a big race is going to sell a LOT of trucks from guess who....... the deserted Losi die hards that refuse to by a T4!! Therefore, whoever does step into this market, whether it's Hotbodies, Kyosho, or whoever, it's going to be VERY important for them to be represented at the big races.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a thought - considering Japan is doing better than the U.S. financially and when you consider the exchange rates...it gets pretty expensive, so I agree with scrubnick. Don't know why they wouldn't send guys to the onroad nationals. Hopefully TL is just focusing highly on their 1/8 offroad endeavors this year. They have a good company with quality cars but their distributor sucks unfortunately.

Last edited by Nay0k; 07-16-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

funny thing about that is you guys are trying to make something out of nothing. if the 2 parties arent fighting over anything and are happy with the outcome (the people who made/designed the car/coming out with the new) why do people try to make drama of it? hmmmm.does this infact change anything about the cars? last time i checked the xxx-cr was newer than a b4, the mf2 can still win races and the losi 4 wheel drives were still popular..... maybe losi has a reason maybe they are switching gears to nitro who knows last i knew people raced cars they liked not because it won a roar or ifmar championship.......
Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scrubnick
Look at it from a monetary standpoint. To Losi, sending drivers to the worlds in Japan will cost upwards of 10 grand, easily. Airfare is about a thousand each, plus hotel for a week, ground transportation, food, etc. Then, if they do win, they might sell a few hundred more kits than they would otherwise. Also, I don't think Losi is very big in Japan. They could spend that money sending their drivers to a bunch more local races out here and get better exposure for their money.

On the other hand, it's tradition for AE and Losi to battle at the worlds, but oh well.

i agree with him, and also last i heard there was going 2wd week and 4wd week, so it would cost 3 grand to send one guy
Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

the worlds are once every 2 years...they can splurge and send a team
Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Doesnt Losi only have 1 2wd world championship after 9 tries? Maybe thats why they arent sending a team.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mugenlife
funny thing about that is you guys are trying to make something out of nothing. if the 2 parties arent fighting over anything and are happy with the outcome (the people who made/designed the car/coming out with the new) why do people try to make drama of it? hmmmm.does this infact change anything about the cars? last time i checked the xxx-cr was newer than a b4, the mf2 can still win races and the losi 4 wheel drives were still popular..... maybe losi has a reason maybe they are switching gears to nitro who knows last i knew people raced cars they liked not because it won a roar or ifmar championship.......

The CR is an old car compared to the B4, an updated old car for sure, but still the B4 is the newer design. I just bought one yesterday and I'm sure it will do me well, but it's 4 years since I raced my old xxxbk1 and this looks only a little different.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mugenlife
It obviously doesn't change anything about the cars already in production. But since Horizon has taken over there's been a major change. Losi used to be strictly race oriented, now they're using their R&D to develop 1/36th scale cars and drifters with working headlights. And try to order a set of 2.2 Tapers in the pink compound, or even a truck body... ANY TRUCK BODY.. everything's on backorder. I don't see any signs of a new design for anything electric. Their focus is on everything except racing. And it's not that we're making drama out of this, it's just a little upsetting to be loyal to a specific company to see them drop their interest in electric racing.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ed237
Are they just having a bad year financially and will be back next year, or is this just the beginning of the end. And if so, how long will it take? 1-2 years?

I could only imagine the dissapointment for the drivers. Going to high profile races overseas like the worlds in Japan is one of the big reasons they work so hard at what they do.
The end? Bad year financially?? That's probably the furthest from the truth, and i'd like to think that the end would be way, wayyyy off, considering no shop on the planet can keep Losi 1/8th scale kits and parts in stock. And, you mean those high-profile races overseas - like the neobuggy race that Adam won, and the nitro the race in Italy that Adam won a few weeks ago. Seems to me like Losi has a stranglehold on the hottest market in R/C cars right now...

There's a great article in Xtreme R/C June 07 (page 52), with 4 items listed showing why electric offroad is losing to nitro offroad. Basically, one listed - if the tracks don't conform to the supercross style tracks that the consumer's want, they'll starve. the same goes for the Mfg's - AE did the RC8, and other primarily-electric companies have at least taken a stab at nitro with engines/accessories (Orion/CRF, LRP, etc)... Everyone is scrambling around to try and knock Losi off as the current king of the mountain... better bring a big stick...

I love electric offroad, and it's unfortunate to see, but i did not know how much i enjoy running Gas 1/8th scale till i got my 8ight and 8-T. I should start writing lyrics for 50 Cent...

I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. Yes, it is the world champs, with the title and all that, but why send a team of ~10 guys to try to sell a couple kits in 10 days time? When the market is shifting world wide as it currently is? From a business perspective, i would much rather use those funds to send Adam and Truhe all over the place to clean up on the track, and help develop sales off the track, at the national/regional level in the current hot market - 1/8th Offroad.

i need to start packing for the Shootout...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

scott54 - Do you actually know who designed the micro-t? Maybe it wasn't a losi engineer/R&D team.
Also..if losi isn't geared toward electric racing....
Look at the offroad elec. nats results. Losi sent 4 guys: Jesse Robbers, Mike Truhe, Billy Fischer, Ronnie Gardner. All 4 guys made every "a" main of every class they entered. 13 "a" appearances in total.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

So whatever makes the most money is were the focus is? I dont see AE failing to send drivers to the worlds to focus on the "hot market" only.

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
The end? Bad year financially?? That's probably the furthest from the truth, and i'd like to think that the end would be way, wayyyy off, considering no shop on the planet can keep Losi 1/8th scale kits and parts in stock. And, you mean those high-profile races overseas - like the neobuggy race that Adam won, and the nitro the race in Italy that Adam won a few weeks ago. Seems to me like Losi has a stranglehold on the hottest market in R/C cars right now...

There's a great article in Xtreme R/C June 07 (page 52), with 4 items listed showing why electric offroad is losing to nitro offroad. Basically, one listed - if the tracks don't conform to the supercross style tracks that the consumer's want, they'll starve. the same goes for the Mfg's - AE did the RC8, and other primarily-electric companies have at least taken a stab at nitro with engines/accessories (Orion/CRF, LRP, etc)... Everyone is scrambling around to try and knock Losi off as the current king of the mountain... better bring a big stick...

I love electric offroad, and it's unfortunate to see, but i did not know how much i enjoy running Gas 1/8th scale till i got my 8ight and 8-T. I should start writing lyrics for 50 Cent...

I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. Yes, it is the world champs, with the title and all that, but why send a team of ~10 guys to try to sell a couple kits in 10 days time? When the market is shifting world wide as it currently is? From a business perspective, i would much rather use those funds to send Adam and Truhe all over the place to clean up on the track, and help develop sales off the track, at the national/regional level in the current hot market - 1/8th Offroad.

i need to start packing for the Shootout...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Post Maybe it's whoever runs the car side of things at.....

Horizon and not Horizon themselves.

Example: My XXX-CR had parts missing and badly made when I got it, many emails to Losi and a few Aaron, about 3 months later it got sorted.

But.....

I also got a Blade CX2 RTR heli (by E-flite) from what I can only call the Aero division of Horizon. It had a couple of faulty parts and what looked like a part that was about to die so I emailed them (I even offered proof of purchase). The reply was basically "sorry to hear of your troubles sir the parts will be with you ASAP. And sure enough 2 weeks after they said they were on their way they arrived.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

There are loads of new 4WD buggies here or on the way, Durango, Aero, X5squared, D4, S4, 501X, Schumacher even later this year. 2WD I heard rumours of a Tamiya, TTech have plans to make one, Kyosho have an excellent new 2WD which got its second UK National A final this weekend gone.

Electric off road is awesome with the best drivers in the world.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DanGriffin
scott54 - Do you actually know who designed the micro-t? Maybe it wasn't a losi engineer/R&D team.
Also..if losi isn't geared toward electric racing....
Look at the offroad elec. nats results. Losi sent 4 guys: Jesse Robbers, Mike Truhe, Billy Fischer, Ronnie Gardner. All 4 guys made every "a" main of every class they entered. 13 "a" appearances in total.
I have absolutely no idea who designed the micro-t. It could have been Bob, it could have been Chuck... who knows, who cares. I don't care if the project was subcontracted to Tyco to design it. The point is that they are releasing TOYS now. And read the comment above your posting, There's a nice argument at how Losi is going full speed towards the Nitro market because it's the "hot" market. I race on an outdoor track that gets as many electrics as it does nitro. And I also have to bring a spare truck for parts because I if I break something, the part is probably on back order....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.