Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team C 1/8 GT car

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oh yeah, and there was that one that was supposed to be indoors out by Kyle that was supposed to be part of that family fun center...havent heard about that one in a while.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

The 'Mega Track' concept is what I may have seen mentioned and I'm not sure which thread it was on.

Last edited by scary_jerry; 03-26-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Ooooops
Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I stand corrected, it's not clear to me on the ties to Team C or if someone backed out or was forced out or what exacltly went down with the "Mega Track" concept. All I know is that it was a really cool idea, sorry if I sounded harsh in any way, didn't mean to if I did.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Bearing kits arrived today!!
so here is how i will have them sorted out:
ABEC5 stainless metal shield drivetrain kit
Ceramic metal shield drive train kit
Ceramic metal shield flanged kit for 2 spd
Ceramic ABEC7 metal shield clutch bell kit !!! badly needed and i have ALOT of them
HD Stainless one way bearings

The Drivetrain kits consist of 18 bearings , does not include clutch bell or 2 spd flanged bearings.
The clutch bell and 2 spd flanged bearings are only available in ceramic and are heated to 200* and then vibrated for 30min to get them thoroughly cleaned, i have found it best to run them dry so that the oils do not get either inside the clutch bell or on the 2spd shoes.

Working on the pix and stuff, will be on the site shortly.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
There was also a Circuit of the Americas 1:1 Forumula One race track built in Austin last year, but it's way too big for R/C, ha!
Not so quick there. Daytona, yes the full size track, holds an oval race in the pits each year and may have been last weekend or the week after Easter. Either way, great venue at a full size race track.

I'd drive to Austin to race Nitro there ...... Almost any class and if needed I could take the F-Production Sunbeam out of moth balls ....... Now if I still had my Crossle S-2000, now that would scare me and anyone on the track at the same time.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

I think they hosted the World GT8 Grand Prix down at the Homestead Raceway in Florida earlier this year which is a 1:1 track, but they also have an R/C track onsite as well. It would be cool if all full scale race tracks hosted R/C events too, that would really boost the hobby to a whole new level for sure!

I'd hate to oversell Austin, the track isn't anything super fancy like what the guys have in Dallas and Houston (Porter area). It's just a bunch of boards setup in a parking lot and the driver stand is a temporary scaffolding that is setup and taken down at the end of each race day. I think the interest for R/C in Austin is probably stemmed from most of the population being techies who love to tinker which makes for a perfect segway to R/C. I will say that some of the Austin drivers are pretty darn good, maybe not as good as Marcus, but we are certainly trying to get there!

Here is a sample of what one of the Austin track layouts look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E14m8zjugXU

Sorry for the crappy driving skills, but it was my first time running my off-road RC8Be as an on-road GT8 by an amateur (me).
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip on drag brake, the more I think about it, my GT18 has a natural drag brake due to its belt driven design which is probably why I get the best lap times with it over any other car I've raced. My GT8 comes in as my second fastest lap counter, but you're right, the setup just isn't where it needs to be to unlock its full potential. I have the front as stiff as it can possibly get (within reason) with the rear as loose as it can get with the goal of trying to get the car to push than to spin out, perhaps I have the rear a bit too soft and will definitely add some drag brake too, heck I may add drag brake to my 1/10 spec cars also!

I've seen some folks refer to "Front One Way" diff as FOW, not really sure if this is common, I only bought the upgrade as an experiment and I really liked it, but I may have to swap it back to a regular diff if I plan to use drag brake.

Do nitros have a drag brake setting too?

My only experience with nitro is flying .40 size planes so I've never had to deal with low speed idle tuning or flameouts, just an occassional dead stick when forgetting to set my timer and running out of fuel, ha! I am not impressed with seeing so many issues the local racers have with keeping their engines running at the start of a race... poor PitRacer had to restart his engine 3-4 times before the start of the main this past Saturday. Granted he easily squashed the field with an easy win, but it appears that a good tune for racing conditions equates to a horrible tune for low speed idle conditions, hence reinforcing my logic to remain with electric.

We have a new racer in the class (newer than me that is) and the poor kid hasn't completed a single qualifier round to my knowledge without his engine cutting out on him
I do use drag brake that is set in the radio in nitro. The only reason my car flamed out was do to the drastic drop in temp. and I was just too lazy to lean it out, and it ran fat the whole race. I usually run 8 - 12 min. on a properly tuned engine.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
I do use drag brake that is set in the radio in nitro. The only reason my car flamed out was do to the drastic drop in temp. and I was just too lazy to lean it out, and it ran fat the whole race. I usually run 8 - 12 min. on a properly tuned engine.
When the temps drop you need to add fuel not take it away. AS air gets colder it also gets more dense which means more fuel is need to match the increased air volume. So as it gets cooler open up the needles, as it gets warmer you lean it out!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
When the temps drop you need to add fuel not take it away. AS air gets colder it also gets more dense which means more fuel is need to match the increased air volume. So as it gets cooler open up the needles, as it gets warmer you lean it out!
+ 1000%

In addition I would also begin to lean with increased humidity not just temp.

When the Nova Challange races are run the Engine clinics they provide at the race is recomended to newbies and seasoned racers alike, be surprised how the smallest thing can help you at an event and future races.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The air temp. change not the humidity in which case I would of richen and not of leaned. It ran fat trust me.. It came off the track 209deg.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Bearing kits are now available, 24.99 for SS metal shield 18 bearing kit!!
http://www.rcshox.com/team-c-gt8-gt8l/
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Virus Alert!!

Originally Posted by jlopez
Hello Guys,

I open this thread sou you can see the new Gt Car from team c

http://teamcracing.net/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=71
My computer just blocked a Virus from this; (
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Marcus, thanks for all the tips, my GT8 was doing much better for me today after stiffening up the rear a little, I also went up to 30K on the rear diff too. Using 40% drag brake took a while to get used to but it definitely dropped my lap times considerably and was finally pulling faster laps than my 1/18 car now.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Marcus, thanks for all the tips, my GT8 was doing much better for me today after stiffening up the rear a little, I also went up to 30K on the rear diff too. Using 40% drag brake took a while to get used to but it definitely dropped my lap times considerably and was finally pulling faster laps than my 1/18 car now.
Cool, its all about balance between the front and rear. Dont forget about sway bars they also make a huge difference.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Went and picked up the Team C GT8 from Marcus today. I desided to have Marcus build it for me. I do not regret that for one second. Not that is would have been hard to build, but Marcus did an awesome job of getting it just right. All I did was show up, put my receiver in and put my tires on. Once we got the travel set right I was on the track. I put 6 or 7 tanks on it and each run the car felt more and more sure of itself.

Not to sound like a commercial or anything, I will definately send out a ringing endorsement for him. If you are on the fence about whether to have him build it or not....I say go for it. He already knows what the car wants.

Thanks for everything Marcus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.