Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you missed his point. Being that a good option is to build a USVTA legal car and run it since it is allowed to run like that. With a little effort and patience, you can evolve their spec class into a fully legal USVTA rules event. The Alex is beautiful.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greenbandit
Why have any classes at all? If it is all about putting your car on the track and running laps, why not just put it on the street and race yourself? Why are there classes of "real" car races? My idea of racing a VTA class is to run similar cars with spec bodies, wheels, motors, and such to keep it really competitive and close. I have raced for over 30 years and do not feel the need to just put my car on the track and run laps. I was excited about VTA because of what it represented, and the really cool scale aspect of it. I do not see the point of running minis, FWD's, and VTA's with all kinds of motor, battery, and body combos all at the same time. Doesn't make sense to me, but more power to you if it makes sense to you.
because RIGHT NOW there is no mass for the class that you want to race at that track. but you have to start somewhere and and copping out is a great way to start a class.

so what if you have to race against minis and fwd cars. doesn't scca and imsa and lemans race different classes in one race? you know why they do that? it's because it would be stupid for the track to have a specific race just for 10 or 15 cars when they can get 40 to 45 cars from 3 classes on the track at the same time. if this track just started up there are just trying to get things going and when people see you out at the track they think I would like to do that because I like the style of car you are running and then you have one more and that gets one more and then and then and then!

but if you want a challenge, realize you have to pass or let other cars pass you based on performance difference and driving ability sometimes that to me can be fun also. I have been known to put myself in a slower heat of people just so I can practice that, knowing that I'll be a better driver for it.

but maybe that IS just me.

but it still comes back to if you want the class to race you have to start somewhere.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Questions

Good Morning to everyone in VTA Land....

Was wondering if anyone could shoot me a quick PM with what is needed for a startup into this class...I have seen it run at Snowbirds and I want to get one to have....Im not looking for the cheapest thing out there...and I would like something that I can tune and make competitive...just dont want to ask a question in here that floods the board with 300 opinions....thanks for the help
Old 07-09-2014, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Well, I was all excited to start racing again, but I found out that the local area does not want to accept the VTA rules and wants to run a class called "Scale Spec". The rules basically state you can run brushed Tamiya Silver cans or brushless 25.5, 2c Lipo or 4 cell Nimh (????), any body that looks scale (????), and you can run any 4wd touring, FWD touring, or any mini chassis, again (????). I guess this kills my wanting to return to on-road racing. Oh well.
Not sure why they'd make a provision for 4 cell NiMH packs - against a 2S Lipo, that's like bringing a knife to a gunfight...

Anyhow, don't let the strange ruleset prevent you from joining the fun. Given some time, the weaker combinations would weed themselves out, and you'd most likely end up with most cars running 25.5s and 2S Lipo combos, with a host of different bodies. The biggest problem I see is the lack of a spec tire, since that tends to be the greatest equalizer to keep the cars closer together.

The rules will probably sort themselves out (to a degree) after the first few races. Once that happens, you'll most likely see the different types of cars split into several, more equal classes. Rulesets are never perfect, but every organization needs to start somewhere.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

No spec tire. No common body types. It'll be all over the place. And the "weaker competition" that'll be the legal VTA cars...

If that class was run here, I'd put together a 4WD touring car with VTA tires and a USGT body with a big wing and a brushed silver can.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I think you missed his point. Being that a good option is to build a USVTA legal car and run it since it is allowed to run like that. With a little effort and patience, you can evolve their spec class into a fully legal USVTA rules event. The Alex is beautiful.
Thank you and you guys are right. I respect everybody's opinion and advice. I just really hoped for more. This track has been open for years, but just went from dirt off road only to carpet on and off road. There was talk of a VTA class, but then I read that they were lumping it all together. I really enjoy the scale aspect of RC and was hoping for a true scale VTA class. We will see what happens.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

That carpet wont last very long if they are running offroad on it too. There are ways to extend its life, but offroad vehicles are just hard on it. In addition traction for onroad will be less than onroad only tracks.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

This is true. The track has gone through about 5 owners in the last few years. I guess they are trying to get as many people in there as they can. Curious if you guys think a Tamiya Silver can is anywhere close to competitive with a 25.5 brushless motor? I used to run the TCS series, so Silver cans are very familiar, but I have not run a 25.5 brushless.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by .crispy
No spec tire. No common body types. It'll be all over the place. And the "weaker competition" that'll be the legal VTA cars...

If that class was run here, I'd put together a 4WD touring car with VTA tires and a USGT body with a big wing and a brushed silver can.
That is completely legal. I did find out that 4wd touring chassis' have to run VTA HPI tires. I guess I will have to search for USGT bodies as well. Does this mean Porsche's, Audi's, new Mustangs, BMW's, ETC? I am not sure what to run?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is true. The track has gone through about 5 owners in the last few years. I guess they are trying to get as many people in there as they can. Curious if you guys think a Tamiya Silver can is anywhere close to competitive with a 25.5 brushless motor? I used to run the TCS series, so Silver cans are very familiar, but I have not run a 25.5 brushless.
At one of the tracks here in Indy, they used to run a sportsman TC class. Any 4wd TC chassis, any body, any tire, and either 25.5 brushless or tamiya silver can. They were pretty close in speed, and i have seen both combinations win with multiple different people driving. So either one should be fine, maybe start with the silver can since that is what you are familiar with and once you get the rest of the program figured out, then pick up a 25.5 to try (and then you have one for the USVTA events to be legal)

Best of luck!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you want to get these "non glamorous" spec classes to your track, you need to show a little initiative, and evangelize for them.

I bought a slash to race ONE TIME as a second class last December. I got fifth, about twenty feet off the winner. After it was over, I had an orphan slash with no class and nowhere to play, so I took it out and practiced with it everywhere that had an open practice, ran some laps, put the transmitter in the hands of anyone who had a pulse, and told everybody what a great time it was. Two months later we had 22 show up opening day for the class.

While that may be too much to ask for many to do, if you have one of these VTA cars, and you are on the faster end of the class, open your setup book to other guys who are struggling, put your transmitter in the hands of anyone who shows and interest, and do your part to grow (IMO) the best/fairest/least expensive class in on road.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA

While that may be too much to ask for many to do, if you have one of these VTA cars, and you are on the faster end of the class, open your setup book to other guys who are struggling, put your transmitter in the hands of anyone who shows and interest, and do your part to grow (IMO) the best/fairest/least expensive class in on road.
Bravo! I commend you good sir, keep up the good work and support for the class, either VTA or USVTA people need to be introduced to them by putting a transmitter in their hand.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

CraigMBA for President!

Seriously, some guys complain about low turnouts or getting people into the hobby. Got to HELP newbies or they will feel unwelcome. RC car racing requires a huge amount of new knowledge.

It's hard to go out on the track when you are new and make all sorts of mistakes. Or show up with the wrong equipment because you are on the beginning of the learning curve. I'm still learning.

I've been flying RC airplanes since high school, so I knew what a servo was when i started, but it was hard to start in a new aspect of the hobby and be the new guy. Some guys reached out to help, most others didn't. I can tell CraigMBA is a mentor type.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
If you want to get these "non glamorous" spec classes to your track, you need to show a little initiative, and evangelize for them.

I bought a slash to race ONE TIME as a second class last December. I got fifth, about twenty feet off the winner. After it was over, I had an orphan slash with no class and nowhere to play, so I took it out and practiced with it everywhere that had an open practice, ran some laps, put the transmitter in the hands of anyone who had a pulse, and told everybody what a great time it was. Two months later we had 22 show up opening day for the class.

All very true. Everyone in the pits needs to help anyone starting out. Without new racers the hobby we all love dies and we don't get to play with toy cars anymore!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Care to enlighten me with which shop this was? Was it HT in Fredericksburg (The "C" ) that ran Spec Gt, or are you referring to the spec series that MRH / Johns Mobile RC ran? I raced at all of those places, in those particular classes...
nf_ekt FYI Went by the old HT in Fredericksburg when I was in DC two weeks ago and sadly it was closed. I was told that HT reopened elsewhere, but without the on-road track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.