Wiki Posts
Search

Lowering the weight of Touring Cars that use lipo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would agree with what seaball said.

If I race competitively running lipo allows me to run a heavier servo that I like, SSteel screws, extra fans, heatsinks etc. . . Before lipo my car with all that extra weight would be many grams over. With lipo, I can be under with weight to move around at my pleasure. The cars I run might be beefier which fits my backyard budget, with hardly any breakage. I can also dabble in bigger events without feeling the need to buy exotic cars and parts.

Locally the rules are open with lesser restrictions (like no weight) to allow it easier for anybody to compete or be competitive. You add too many restrictions or rules, then you lose people because for some it is about trying to race for 5 min without breaking. Although Roar and US Vintage to us are only guidlines that help us locally figure out what is best for our budgets and class structure.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Slightly off the discussion a bit...but on a similar note nonetheless...

I run m-chassis with LiPo and i always feel that adding the weight would be disadvantage in comparison to those running NiMh. For a 5 minute heat, NiMh could be charged as high as 8 amp to give that extra boost in the voltage, u cant replicate that using LiPo.

I am in the process of getting trial runs using both LiPo n NiMh with the same car setup etc from the top drivers. Hopefully it will shed some light at least in our case...as we are tinkering with the idea of allowing LiPo users to run lighter cars.... who knows....
Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

nope keep the weight rule as is 1500 to 1520.
except maybe in mod so as to allow use of lipo (5 celll rules due to light weight) but i dont run mod so dont really know but for stock leave it be its easier to add weight than loose it
Old 07-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
This is why I have suggested 'Lipo Class Racing' it would still be stringent with ruling, just down to 1400 grams, so we don't have the hassle of finding around 200 grams of lead every time we get another car when using lipos
Malc
How many cars do you go through?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brit_bulldog
The whole point of this thread is that once again technology has moved on.

Why do some guys think running lipos is more expensive?

You add cost of 3-5 packs of nimhs with cost of charger plus discharger.

then add cost of charger plus 2-3 packs of lipo.

It is cheaper!!!!!!

I run LiPo in sedan but it's not "cheaper" to switch over unless you already have a charger that will charge both like an ICE for instance.

So, 2 Orion 4800's, a midlde of the road charger and a balancer will set you back about $420.

And 3 packs of good SMC or Trinity cells, a charger (ICE), and simple discharge tray (Tekin) will set you back about $415.

Cheaper to get into? Not so much and the new NiMh cells actually last pretty well.

The thread is about weight. Not cost. Reducing the weight isn't going to do anything to get more people to race again. Personally, I don't think that the weight of the cars is the problem with sedan but this isn't the place to complain about all of the issues that are bringing sedan down.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm going to have to disagree with Seaball on the lighter cars make for more fragile cars.

My Reedy 5000 LiPO's weighs an easy 200g less than my 4600's.
I can replace my servo with another servo that weighs 20g less because the car needs less steering torque with less weight.
The new tires sets weigh 10g less each because of the larger rims, 40g savings there.

Without hacking and cuting on the chassis, a sedan can easily weigh upto 300g less than todays cars by changing the motor and battery package.

So what incentive would a car maker have to make the car more fragile? Racers will still have to add weight if the limits were reduced by 100 or even 200 grams. Manufactures would loose customers if they made a product snap like a twig. If the manufacture chooses to use exotic parts, they could just outprice themselves from future sales.

Speed Can Win a race, Durability will finish the race.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Is this really the big problem in Onroad? The only way you could lower weight of lipo cars is seperating the classes so now we'll have 45 classes instead of 25. A class for ever person. Awesome.

Well someone mentioned my name. I dont know why.

2nd, Schreff uses aluminum screws in every screw hole in his car including bulkheads, no problem there. I use titainium in my cars again no problems.

On every other aspect I agree with Seaball's
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Initiate

We need less classes not more.

Just imagine you just built your lovely new touring car and then mr rules and regs tells you you got to add i big chunk of weight to it. The reason being we want people to have strong reliable cars.

Just seems Stupid to me.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Then I guess you have to run nimh. If there is no weight limit why have a motor limit, why have rules at all and different classes. Why not make every races Run what ya brung.

Oh and by the way I dont see Lipo being any cheaper at the highest level of racing, possibly more than nimh.

New cells coming out every week, 100 bucks a piece, and heating them and 2 c charging. At a small Trophy race this weekend I saw 2 lipos swell and no nimh's do anything stupid. Oh and nimh won the toughest class by a pretty big margin too. Lipo will not save onroad.

Last edited by L.Fairtrace; 07-22-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want to see one reason that some manufacturers want to make very light fragile parts go look at the prices for caster blocks and/or steering knuckles for the popular cars. Very few have reasonable prices (Associated being one example of good and inexpensive).

It's not the weight of the cars that's breaking them it's the speeds that we're running combined with the traction that we have now (foam or robber). Remove 200 grams (7 ounces!) out of a car and it's going to end up going even faster and you'll break just as many parts.

Not all of the weight you add needs to be dead weight. LRP makes a huge freaking heatsink and fan for BL motors that works great. I say use the weight you need to add to help make the electronics last longer and balance the car.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Then I guess you have to run nimh. If there is no weight limit why have a motor limit, why have rules at all and different classes. Why not make every races Run what ya brung.

Oh and by the way I dont see Lipo being any cheaper at the highest level of racing, possibly more than nimh.

New cells coming out every week, 100 bucks a piece, and heating them and 2 c charging. At a small Trophy race this weekend I saw 2 lipos swell and no nimh's do anything stupid. Oh and nimh won the toughest class by a pretty big margin too. Lipo will not save onroad.
I agree and disagree on your statements about lipo's saving racing. For everyday club racers lipo's were the way to go for longevity after the IB deal about a year or so ago. Knowing that your battery was going to take a charge the next time you raced was the answer that lipo gave. I haven't run a nihm pack since then so I don't know if newer cells are more dependable again. Racers will always find a way to push the issue no matter what battery you put in front of them. Before lipo's racers were charging at 10amps at big races because they got them for free and wouldn't be using them after the event. Now one charged like that at normal club races. Racers pushing the lipo issues to 2c is just a carry over from what they were doing when they ran nihm cells. It will never end................
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

It is too early to call for a drop in weight limits.

Lets wait until a) LiPo are legal at national/international races and b) there is a clear performance advantage that means most people stop using NiMH cells and the next generation of cars can be designed exclusively around LiPo.

When that time comes, yes, lets go down to 1400gms or even less. But that time will not be 2009, maybe not even 2010 or later.

To go to a low weight for LiPos too early will unnecessarily penalise the people still using NiMH, or create an unwanted rebel racing class.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

By allowing LiPO's and NiMH to run together is the best option for majority of racing. It eliminated the needs for another class.

Over time the race class will need to exclude the older technology and move on. If the weights are not admended over time then when newer technology is adopted problems could arise in the speeds of the race classes.

This similar event happened to pan cars. As the technology got better the cars got faster. Then came the 4-cell reset. This allowed for better technology at controlable speeds. 6-cell racing vanished, new chassis and electronics came out for 4-cell and there was cost in the conversion.

Now look at pan cars today. The technology is alot better and conversion to LiPO is a massive mountain. There has been a scramble for the last year to come up with a viable motor solution to use with LiPO. At half-best is the 21.5 motor. It produces speeds similar or greater to 13.5 4-cell, requires expensive investment in larger pinions and smaller spurs and still leaves no solution for stock racing.

Being near sighted is a sure way seal the fate of Sedan racing.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Racers pushing the lipo issues to 2c is just a carry over from what they were doing when they ran nihm cells. It will never end................
Common sense and better training. When I was in Iraq, I carried a loaded rifle with me at all times for 16months. Never once did I or others in my unit have a missfire or accident. Why? My unit and I were trained on how to handle and operate a weapon in a safe manner.

The same needs to be applied to all batteries. Commonsense, read the manuals, practice safe handling, prevent shorts and reverse polarity ect.

If you can't trust the person next to you with a loaded gun, are you going to risk your life standing there? If you see unsafe acts, call it out and prevent the unsafe act from happening again.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc3team
Excuse the pun, but does this conversation share an equal weight of it to the 5 cell story?...

(In the UK) We all wanted lighter weight limits then, but we still finished up at 1500gr...
Hi
Don't you mod guys run at 1425 grams, as you have one cell less in your cars? This is what im trying to get at, as when the decision to go to 5 cell mod was announced, (I think the reason behind this, was because of the power of 6 cells were blowing up ESC's), so peeps just removed a cell from their 6 cell chassis, so how can this be any good for a chassis that was designed around a 6 cell chassis originally. Now mod have their own 5 cell chassis designed, and now is at 1425 grams, in fact we have a 4 cell class mod that runs in with us 10.5/19t which is allowed to be at 1350 grams so why cant we that now have Lipo's have a chassis designed around us and bring it down to 1400 grams, as the weight of Lipo is near half of the NMH's, oh wait a minute, we don't need to have one designed for us, as the car works perfect with Lipo and with only a FEW weights carefully placed in the car, but not have the hassle of making a Lipo Weight Plate. The car would still run around 100 grams light, this way you could use stainless steel screws and NOT expensive titanium ones to get the weight of the car down by around 30 grams, you could run a heavier servo, Cool-Can-Fans etc. This thread is not to wind people up I can assure you, its just an opinion of quite a few people I have spoken to recently. The thing is, we don't want to hold this sport back from going forward, as FTQ has mentioned, we have moved on from Brushed motors, now onto Lipo's, so why not review the weight limit, im not asking for it to happen over night, as it wont, but its food for thought
Cheers Malc TCCFM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.