Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
I have seen kinetic's in gtb2 cases......I have also seen 6000mah batteries with 5000 stickers..........both are easier than making a blinky led

It is called discussion not bickering

nobody said the current rules don't work but if we can increase racers easy then why not.

also the old can't buy anymore thunder power 40c 5000 dominates at my track, so it made me wonder if we can't update the battery as most suggested ones are only around 30c
no, this is called wanting everyone to change the rules to suit YOUR needs - nothing more, nothing less...

and i'm sure you realize, that with the amount of draw the 25.5 motors pull, you DON'T need a high C pack to perform well, as the motors don't generate enough energy to heat the pack to get the advantages of the higher C ratings...so actually for this class, the 35c and 40c packs are the best

if you're seeing that kind of cheating, why aren't you doing anything about it instead of asking this class to change to suit the few cheaters at your track? and if you have to cheat at this class, then maybe it's time to start looking for a new hobby...yes, there's competition in the class, and yes, everyone eventually takes racing serious - but come on, this is one class where cheating don't get you anything other then a plastic bowling trophy
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Or ...

Let em run whatever 2S batteries they want for a set period of time - a month, 4 races, whatever. Just make it known that if they want to be legal and part of the USVTA class they have to follow the rules.

Who really cares at the club level if someone has a 5000mah+ battery? The "fast guys" and the track owner/director should be able to explain the rules and the reasoning behind them. The race is only 6/8 minutes long. I'm sure just about every racer at every track can tell you how much mah they use in a heat. A battery bigger than that doesn't really gain you anything. A bigger battery doesn't give anyone any real advantage.

Give them time to get legal. Explain to them why the rule is in place. If they don't want to change "just because" or argue against it just for the sake of arguing then they aren't going to be someone you want around in the long run anyway.

Remember it's a toy car. This is a hobby. If you can't afford it, don't do it. It's not food/shelter/clothing. It's not a necessity. It's completely optional. You don't have to do it. Don't ask everyone else to change for you. Join in. It's supposed to be fun. If it's not fun you're doing it wrong.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd
Guys look,

I started running this class after a LONG brake from Nitro truggy. I have an MI1 set to current VTA spec. I am still missing the driver.

My story is simple. Evoracer got me into VTA and I love him for it. Sadly he dropped his club shortly after I started. At the same time as my start I raced club events at our local Hobby town in Florida. Now Having ran state races in another country while in the military I now have zero interest in them.

I dropped about 600 on my VTA car starting fresh. This could have easly bought a 17.5 TC car and about 3 races later could have dropped 400 more in parts and such.

VTA is a spec class and I have learned so much from Evoracer and the other guys at the other track.

Hobby town would not run a VTA class and stuck me in the sportman GT any motor goes. I got second place in that race. 2 weeks later 4 guys show up with VTA USVTA rule set cars and the class took off. at Hobby town now 4 races after that we have 4 heats and A and B mains with a 8 car Main. With a car turn out of bout 12-14 people. Had to runs a "Hot rod" class for people like me who own and run one car.

Hot rod rules. Simple- Change body USVTA spec or any car that could be a hot rod no later that the mid 70's

The class is great as is. however more speedos and tires need to be approved. With the music city thing months away... I see a shortage in tires yet again. The rules list is great with that exception to the speedos. That club kit from novack better get approved fast because 120 sounds better to most guys than 160.

A hint to novack. the club VTA package......esc sold by its self is about 90......motor is about 60.....sucks if one has to blow a motor and figure out that the combo is cheaper than buying one or the other new.

DarkSide You asked me once on the old thread If i would make the music city event. I currently have plans to do so. My driving is bad but I will be there.
Thanks Dave and Good Luck in the future. It's a shame that some people always think their way is better and it ends up adversely affecting others. VTA may continue to grow but it won't if retail shops like the local HT won't keep an open mind and also support the smaller clubs with less resources.
Our little club got a few people in to the hobby and that's something to feel good about. Watching that effort get belittled and badmouthed sucked all the fun out of it. Like many have said " If you're not having fun, it's time to go"
Thanks to all you guy's in VTA that I've shared comments and discussions with. Keep you're eyes on the target and don't let ANYBODY tell you that VTA isn't a great program. Evoracer out.

Last edited by Evoracer; 04-02-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
VTA may continue to grow but it won't if retail shops like the local HT won't keep an open mind and also support the smaller clubs with less resources.
I have seen HTs that did a really good job supporting local racers and I have seen them have no clue about it. I guess it just depends on who owns it and if a local racer has pity on the rc department enough to go and work there.

You can only do so much to support RC when your stores focus is to sell glass beads to old ladies.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen kinetic's in gtb2 cases......I have also seen 6000mah batteries with 5000 stickers..........both are easier than making a blinky led

It is called discussion not bickering

nobody said the current rules don't work but if we can increase racers easy then why not.

also the old can't buy anymore thunder power 40c 5000 dominates at my track, so it made me wonder if we can't update the battery as most suggested ones are only around 30c
It's really not that hard to find legal packs, like this, took me about 5 minutes to track down... http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=596&id=9168
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Running today at Thunder in Nashville, I ripped my spoiler off my 68 Camaro body during a very skilled cork screw passing maneuver that didnt go well, and it was a very noticeable difference for the rest of the race. Got very loose in the rear. Remounted it between heats and was back to how it was before the failed super skilled maneuver attempt.

For those that didnt get it, there was A LOT of sarcasm in the "maneuver", was more of a WTF did I just do moment

Glad to see i'm not the only one that has those moments of wtf?...lol
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
It's really not that hard to find legal packs, like this, took me about 5 minutes to track down... http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=596&id=9168
its not very hard to find 5000 packs...I listed 4 or 5 ROAR legal packs on the last page...and that was on 5000mah search on Amain's site..

so there really is no need to allow higher mah packs - its just that people want to change the rules to suit their own agendas
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by k_bojar
to suit their own agendas
You can almost race without packing the charger as it is.

Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd
Well could be my car I have not figured that out yet. The back end is loose while under light power.

I will not enter the con concourse at Music city however. I want to see first how well I do at my local track. My car and it's decals will be Vintage but with a twist. I am not copying a current driver but making a "Club color" car something I would want a VTA club to have name and all. That is if I ran one anyways.
I have been thinking about doing something like that as well. Not a club color but representing my own VTA track and program on my car.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 04-03-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default tc4 wheels

just ordered a new tc4 club racer, noticed on the picture the wheel hubs have 6 sides on them. what wheels do I order to be legal? Thanks for the help, new to onroad.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Hey DARKSIDE, I sent you a PM.
got it...call me for better info...my pm box got full some how...lol

so some guy with a 6000mah battery is just going to own?

We could almost double our VTA class if :

1. guys could run the batteries they already own for other classes, which left 5000 behind long ago , save $$

2. guys could run blinky esc as they already own one and most of the approved esc's are discontinued, save $$

also these two changes would allow most guys to run the same car in VTA and blinky 17.5 again saving them money
hey Jay...how are you?...Ive got emails,pm's,voice mails, and a text about your post....and at 1st I thought not again, but after some reseach notice this is your 1st time....

Well welcome to US VTA....as alot of response has been given to you, I hope you get it...but if not he is the short order.....

You will need to look into the history of this class and see the trials others have gone though to make it what it is today. Starting with the reason for the class and what made it work from the start.

Stock 27t motors and 4 cell packs, is a good start. Start there and pm some of the ppl at the beginning of the class. And get the inside scoop on the true US VTA, know your history. And it will help you better than me or anybody explaining it to you here.

I hope some others do the same. I had to do it to get a better understanding and it took some time, but its the BEST class in on-road RC if not all of RC. And it got that way by trail and error. But for over two years, I have never seen a class grow and bloom the way the US VTA class has.

Do some research and you can read some of my post and see I wasnt always on the team as well. I had those "why' and "why not", and it was a great lesson.

Good luck and happy reading
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard

pics

pic 1,2 are from the FSEARA when the FL guys ran 13.5 back in 2008

pic 3 are my TC3's one with 27t and Novak GTX other with 17.5 SS and GTB late 2007

pic 4 is my TC5 with 21.5 SS from 2009, it was the 1st time 21.5 was used and the LRP SPX

pic 5 is my TC3 with 25.5 used today

love this....
"We don't hear anyone complain about any other classes rules. I don't understand why the VTA rules are so hard to accept"
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-fseara_017_s.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dsc_4540.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-we8359%7E1.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-usvta-nationals-2009-042.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-004.jpg  

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 04-03-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Reed60
just ordered a new tc4 club racer, noticed on the picture the wheel hubs have 6 sides on them. what wheels do I order to be legal? Thanks for the help, new to onroad.
The only legal wheel is the HPI Vintage Wheels in any of their color or design variations. The rules and part numbers can be found here...

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

The TC4 has a slightly different looking "star" wheel adapter than the usual hex. But it still fits the same 12mm hex design standard on all touring cars.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

hi
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I got a buddy who has a 69 Chevelle SS....and is looking for a 69 Chevelle RC body to fit his tc3. Any of you guys know where he could find one? Or something that looks close enough?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
got it...call me for better info...my pm box got full some how...lol

hey Jay...how are you?...Ive got emails,pm's,voice mails, and a text about your post....and at 1st I thought not again, but after some reseach notice this is your 1st time....

Well welcome to US VTA....as alot of response has been given to you, I hope you get it...but if not he is the short order.....

You will need to look into the history of this class and see the trials others have gone though to make it what it is today. Starting with the reason for the class and what made it work from the start.

Stock 27t motors and 4 cell packs, is a good start. Start there and pm some of the ppl at the beginning of the class. And get the inside scoop on the true US VTA, know your history. And it will help you better than me or anybody explaining it to you here.

I hope some others do the same. I had to do it to get a better understanding and it took some time, but its the BEST class in on-road RC if not all of RC. And it got that way by trail and error. But for over two years, I have never seen a class grow and bloom the way the US VTA class has.

Do some research and you can read some of my post and see I wasnt always on the team as well. I had those "why' and "why not", and it was a great lesson.

Good luck and happy reading
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard

pics

pic 1,2 are from the FSEARA when the FL guys ran 13.5 back in 2008

pic 3 are my TC3's one with 27t and Novak GTX other with 17.5 SS and GTB late 2007

pic 4 is my TC5 with 21.5 SS from 2009, it was the 1st time 21.5 was used and the LRP SPX

pic 5 is my TC3 with 25.5 used today

love this....
"We don't hear anyone complain about any other classes rules. I don't understand why the VTA rules are so hard to accept"
+1
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
I got a buddy who has a 69 Chevelle SS....and is looking for a 69 Chevelle RC body to fit his tc3. Any of you guys know where he could find one? Or something that looks close enough?
Although it's not on the U.S. VTA list of approved bodies, this one is probably the closest you will find. It's the Parma 10114 '69 Monster Muscle Car Body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.