Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI SUX

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You let the motor overheat. A change to 12 gauge wires and deans would have made a big difference.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
well if ur on a budget there not bad

but if u cn swing the money, get some gp's, or ib's, there much better

on top of that, thats about it

id get some deans, or power poles because tamiyas melt togather when they get hot
You might want to consider a decent charger to add to this list.

If the charger took 6 hours to charge the battery pack that came with it then the Venom 5000mah pack will take ummm, considerably longer.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If its taking 6hours its not a peak dection charger either. Get one of those or get ready to buy new batteries sooner then later..

Not saying your at fault, its totally posible the unit came defective from the factory...

The sad unfortunate truth is that most of the time it is user error. I do repairs for my local hobby shop and 100% of the cars i get handed to me are RTR. And 99% of them are broke because the end user was either at fault or failed to read the manual or take the initiative to fix it them selves.

RTR maybe great for boosting sales but im not sure its actually good for the hobby in general... Im an old fart i guess...(in my 30's?? is that old? LOL ) But i find the guys that stick with the hobby the longest build there own!

PS support your LHS and and they will support you. EBAY cant fix you RTR but your LHS Can.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

How common is this, first time RC users buying RTR's over the net.

Learners should buy them from a LHS, any issues, the LHS will usually be more than happy to assist.

For the $20 you saved being a tight ass, you'd have gotten the service from the LHS and had this resolved by now, from what appears to be a simple wiring fault.

Lesson learnt?

Lets hope so!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this is a prime example of why RTR cars are bad news in alot of cases....

RTRs get alot of new people into the hobby....but the side effects can be bad...newbies buy RTRs, have problems and blame them on the product....then quit the hobby...

so much valuable learning happens wile building....

but starting a thread thats called "hpi sucks"????? your just making yourself look stupid by doing that dude....

please go to a hobby shop B4 you get your next car....and maybe try building a kit....you will end up with a better overall experience...If you just want to ask some questions then feel free to call me at Remote Control Hobbies...

425-482-4328

Sean
Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Are you sure the initial problem was shorting and not just overheating? The plugs on the motor are pretty poor and have a lot of resistance but because they are convient and generally work with mild motors they get used a lot in RTRs and low end kits. But if you get stress in the drive train you are likely to see these connecters heat up and melt together either at the connector or somewhere along the wire. If you got debris in the pulleys the could cause it to overheat and HPI would likely NOT cover that under warranty. Another possiblity would be if the wires were too loose and the belt rubbed through the insulation causing a short.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annie_himself
You let the motor overheat. A change to 12 gauge wires and deans would have made a big difference.

me?

Originally Posted by Super_Roo
You might want to consider a decent charger to add to this list.

If the charger took 6 hours to charge the battery pack that came with it then the Venom 5000mah pack will take ummm, considerably longer.
and yeah! thats a must... i forgot the hpi's come with a wall charger lol, idk much about rtr's anymore
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Regardless of how the connectors are not very good for RC, the wall charger is inappropriate for charging modern batteries, etc...HPI DID package them together in the kit, and it SHOULD run without issues, especially straight out of the box!

So I understand your frustration. However, like everyone said, RTR cars come with stuff that you should replace ASAP, like the afforementioned wall chargers and tamiya connectors.

So be patient for your warranty work, be nice to HPI on the phone, and learn your lessons from this...sometimes things are defective, shop at your LHS, and upgrade your car if you plan on using it often
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
me?

and yeah! thats a must... i forgot the hpi's come with a wall charger lol, idk much about rtr's anymore

No, not you, the beginner of this thread.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annie_himself
No, not you, the beginner of this thread.
ahh, i thought so

well just to say, i race with 14 guage wire, and deans....so ew wire isnt really needed, especially on a rtr speedo IMO

i would just maybe buy a new speedo, motor is fine for out front driving...and then deans, some nice/ish batts and you should be rocking
Old 07-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Tech Initiate

yes the kit came with a wall charger, and i am definately looking into a quick charger i've been thinking of the Vision Peak Dynamite 2. Also i didn't really mean to say that HPI sux its just one of those spur of the moment uncontrolled rage things, i mean reading on here for a while and the reviews of "ALL" HPI's products is how i made my decision, as far as the local hobby shop they didn't have any, and the guy said that he could order one , but it would prolly take a month for me to get it, it wasn't the money factor at all, btw thanks for putting those words in my mouth, i went with the WWW because hobbypeople had some, also please tell me whats a good ESC upgrade for this car so i can take care of the problem, and as far as calling that one guy for questions, Hey man i have free long distance, if you are willing to help me out i'm game.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default Quality Issues With HPI Products

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Im an old fart i guess...(in my 30's?? is that old? LOL )

Yes thats old because your probably twice the average age of the users on this forum but your lucky because your 10 years younger than me

Originally Posted by xrs_wtf
Also i didn't really mean to say that HPI sux its just one of those spur of the moment uncontrolled rage things, i mean reading on

You could probably change that if you edited your original post.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default sounds like you have problems

XRS, if you would have said there new car line-up sucks or what direction they are moving in is unclear, there may have been some truth to whatever it is you are implying. Aside of that, HPI/Hot Bodies is one of the better companies out. Sorry you got "burned" but more than likely, you did something wrong.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default ahem

ok you say the steering works but the car wont go and you blame the battery? does the steering not need battery power or works off some magical force from hpi or sumthin....

for future refrance. if the steering work and the car wont go then its not your battery or its connections. its your motor dead and simple

also taking into the fact that there is obviously a shorting problem as everybody has stated.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
XRS, if you would have said there new car line-up sucks or what direction they are moving in is unclear, there may have been some truth to whatever it is you are implying. Aside of that, HPI/Hot Bodies is one of the better companies out. Sorry you got "burned" but more than likely, you did something wrong.

I dont understand how i did something wrong its a PREASSEMBLED car from the factory. I never said that the Sprint 2 line up sucked.... its rc i understand things break, but not when there brand new, i mean maybe i just gotta lemon..? it happens but HPI is still responsible.

Originally Posted by PINKIE
ok you say the steering works but the car wont go and you blame the battery? does the steering not need battery power or works off some magical force from hpi or sumthin....

for future refrance. if the steering work and the car wont go then its not your battery or its connections. its your motor dead and simple

also taking into the fact that there is obviously a shorting problem as everybody has stated.

Yes i was hoping that it was a harry potter type magical beam aimed directly at my cat to make it move forward and reverse. Dude im an R/C noob i still gotta lota of trouble shooting that i have to learn. I mean you had to learn once to.

Right about now i think in this thread i've gotten about 5 useful comments, and about 20 un useful comments, TY to the guys that have been trying to help me out i appreciate it for everyone else that just wants to keep leaving crap PM it to me so i can just delete them cause i dont have the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.