HPI SUX

Old 07-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HPI problem

Well the story goes i bought my sprint 2 drift rtr w/ trueno body july 1 i received it 7 days later in the mail, did word for word what the instructions told me, took another 4 days to get the body the way that i wanted it, first day i ran it jul 21 kept shorting out, so i unplug the battery thinking that the battery might be messed up, well no everything works fine again, until the battery starts to go dead. So i get home let everything cool down and do some more body work, wake up this morning charge the battery again (6hrs later) i go and take it out for another run, plug it in everything works great, then BAM the same thing stops working, steers fine, but wont move. So i look at the battery, and start checking things out, connections etc. etc. put the body back on everythings fine again, about 5 mins later its starts acting up again, so i'm like WTF, run over too it , smell smoke, and now i'm like WTF take off the body, pull the battery check the connections, and then i see that the two wires that come from the ESC (yellow, and blue) have melted together, and right before that the blue wires has this sparking look to it. This is my first R/C vehicle and have only enjoyed it for about 25mins in total before i have to ship out to the west coast, to get warranty work done to it, with money that i dont have, would it be wrong of me to say that i should ask for something free from HPI considering that they stand behind there product....? like a free Body or something i know its R/C and things break, but this so far has really turned me off for future purchases from HPI....! waht do you guys think.....?????

Last edited by xrs_wtf; 07-23-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xrs_wtf
This is my first R/C vehicle
Theres nothing wrong with HPI, but this might be your problem, no offence.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

HPI / HB has one of the best customer service available and stand behind every product they produce. they may not send you a new body.. but they will mostly likely send you something extra...

my first car was HPI... and for the most part..haven't had to buy anything else...
Old 07-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Seconding the "possibly your fault" opinion.

Get someone to look at your wiring, because it sounds like it is shorting out somewhere.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
HPI / HB has one of the best customer service available and stand behind every product they produce. they may not send you a new body.. but they will mostly likely send you something extra...

my first car was HPI... and for the most part..haven't had to buy anything else...

FOR SHURE!

Originally Posted by Burlap
Seconding the "possibly your fault" opinion.

Get someone to look at your wiring, because it sounds like it is shorting out somewhere.

yeah, i think so to... not to knock you... but it could be
Old 07-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

And mate, even the best in the world with the best cars have these issues, if you cant put up with it, get out of the hobby NOW
Old 07-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the root of the problem lies here.....

Well the story goes i bought my sprint 2 drift rtr w/ trueno body july 1 i received it 7 days later in the mail,

This probably would not have happened if you bought it at a local hobby shop. They would have helped with any questions or even taken a look at it for you when you first had the problem and been able to diagnose it for you before the magic smoke was released.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sime
And mate, even the best in the world with the best cars have these issues, if you cant put up with it, get out of the hobby NOW
for real

hpi/hb cars are the BOMB!

my cyclone, i LOVE it,

any rtr car comes with crappy electronics really.... its just something that u upgrade.. they work, but arent the best

but i think the lhs would of been good also! sometimes you just needs someone else to look at it to notice something wrong
Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
FOR SHURE!
Why not "BlackedOutSavage" then?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Why not "BlackedOutSavage" then?
because its now BlackedOutCyclone

named by billy (track owner) LOL
Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

And xrs_wtf, wait till ya start racing, ya better have deep pockets for repairs then
Old 07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Initiate

well thanks for the input everybody i appreciate it, i know personally its not my fault cause it comes wired already hence the RTR, i dont mind the repairing stuff at all, but when you only get to use something outta the box for 25 and breaks already, its like buying a toyota with a dodge tranny you know, i dunno though i guess we'll see...
Old 07-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

well thanks for the input everybody i appreciate it, i know personally its not my fault cause it comes wired already hence the RTR, i dont mind the repairing stuff at all, but when you only get to use something outta the box for 25 and breaks already, its like buying a toyota with a dodge tranny you know, i dunno though i guess we'll see...
true

very true

but even still, still will be defective... its how it is, and sounds like thats what u got
Old 07-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
true

very true

but even still, still will be defective... its how it is, and sounds like thats what u got
Yeah more than likely its just defective, i mean people are buying up these things like hot cakes, tower hobbies has sold out 2 times in the same month, so they prolly slapping together as quickly as possible. I plan on upgrading on my batteries to a venom racing 5000 mah NiMH battery, anyone use these here...? Good/Bad...? also in the future if the ESC goes out which is prolly whats happened, what will be a good one to upgrade to, this car has a 17 Turn motor on it.... Thanks guys
Old 07-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah more than likely its just defective, i mean people are buying up these things like hot cakes, tower hobbies has sold out 2 times in the same month, so they prolly slapping together as quickly as possible. I plan on upgrading on my batteries to a venom racing 5000 mah NiMH battery, anyone use these here...? Good/Bad...? also in the future if the ESC goes out which is prolly whats happened, what will be a good one to upgrade to, this car has a 17 Turn motor on it.... Thanks guys
well if ur on a budget there not bad

but if u cn swing the money, get some gp's, or ib's, there much better

on top of that, thats about it

id get some deans, or power poles because tamiyas melt togather when they get hot

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.