Wiki Posts
Search

What do you tune first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default What do you tune first?

If your at a race, and your car is not handling the way you would like it, what do you change and in what order?
-aside from tires.

Out of curiousity, I get kind of flustered knowing that two adjustments can accomplish the same thing .
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I usually start with tuning my engine and getting it running at it's best. Then I can tune the suspension, droop and choose tires for track conditions to go faster with my already tuned engine. Just how I do it and I'm sure others do it other ways but this works for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I start with Tires find the tires that work best and then go to the shocks and then camber and then Toe and after all that diffs. But most of the time you can get the car handling better with Shocks and Camber diff is the last thing i touch.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madac
I usually start with tuning my engine and getting it running at it's best. Then I can tune the suspension, droop and choose tires for track conditions to go faster with my already tuned engine. Just how I do it and I'm sure others do it other ways but this works for me.
Same thing here!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

after tires, I useally go to ride hieght, droop, camber, and toe. Then roll center and fluid changes if needed. I think weight transfer when tuning. For example, need more on power stearing, you need to make wieght stay more over the front tires and not shift so far back. I have a good setup, so I rarely change anything but ride hight and tires and accational rear roll center.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

engine/pipe has to be right and a priority, i am going to lump clutch and gearing in here with it depending on the traction can be a powerful tuning aid.

Tires, tires, tires

ride height/droop/shocks.

diff tuning has helped alot some times, only problem is it's a pain and if it doesn't work and you need to change again it's a tripple pain.

A turn or two of preload can have a dramatic affect sometimes. springs and oils too.

But most of the time tires/clutch/suspension will give me the most help.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

if you know what change do what do what easy first
so you need more steering what can you do
go to a softer front bar

go inside on the arm on the shocks

go down one spring rate

drop your ride hight a mm up front

change your toe out a lil

so i start with ride hight and go run it again

then i change the toe

then i say is the spring going to help or should i try the arm first
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Every brand if car us a little different in what is the go to setup stragedies. Some respond better or worse (or not at all!) to different changes. I don't know your racing history so please forgive if you may already know these things.

You have to prioritize what setup changes can be accomplished with what time you have available. Something that is not the ideal thing to do right away like ride height change, is valuable if all you have is minutes before a race. And you are trying to compensate for changing conditions.

More ideal things to change, like suspension geometry, Take more time of course. But can provide real powerful options. That is, if you know what they do for your car and driving Style. Here is the rub, and the answer you may not want to hear, but is all about test test test. Dedicate practice days to just
constant changes to roll centers and arm angles. Just so you know what they
do, know them like the back of your hand and help make the right guesses race day.

That being said, yes, two different adjustments can accomplish similar things but often with very different adverse consequences. Every positive change you make will have a associative negative side effect. So when deciding between different options you ask your self which ones side effect will give you lesser problems, and can you fix that with some other change. It's possible the side effect may well be irrelevant not needing to compensate.

Maximize gains, minimize losses, repeat.

Roll centers, swaybars and shocks are the main things I adjust. Kickup angles too if there is time. And the more you know your shocks the better, as they are the gate keepers between the tires and chassis geometry. Real bummer if there is bad communication there.

I am incredibly lazy, so one thing I do is keep multiple upper links assembled at my default camber settings. So comparisons or changes between heats are actually doable.

Also a second set of shocks, so comparisons can be made. And during racing allows a quick "undo button" if a shock change does not work out.

Those two investments will get you a faster car before any fancy pipe and motor.

Last edited by johnny t; 05-02-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Brushlessboy16
If your at a race, and your car is not handling the way you would like it, what do you change and in what order?
-aside from tires.

Out of curiousity, I get kind of flustered knowing that two adjustments can accomplish the same thing .

go with a rc8t if you need more steering

but what i do if needed is usually just mess with the "shock angles" or "camber" "tires" ride height not to much really.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

aside from tires, its usually droop and/or ride height for me, that is about it. every now and then ill change rear diff between 2k and 3k.

Last edited by jmaxey51; 05-02-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brushlessboy16
-aside from tires.

There are sooooo many things you can change. It really depends on what it is or is not doing.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Hudy Off-Road setup guide. http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=4461
I know this book in and out, but it never leaves my tool box. No one can tell you what to check 1st, b/c no one knows you or your car. You will have to run your car and figure out whats happening and what it needs to get better. If your car is handling like total poo. I would find a base setup for that car. Run it on the track and adjust from there. BUT and I cant stress this enough, change 1 thing at a time. I know changing one thing at a time will take you longer to get there, but you will know if you are heading in the right direction and what makes the biggest change.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default +1 On Hudy

Originally Posted by portyansky
Hudy Off-Road setup guide. http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=4461
I know this book in and out, but it never leaves my tool box. No one can tell you what to check 1st, b/c no one knows you or your car. You will have to run your car and figure out whats happening and what it needs to get better. If your car is handling like total poo. I would find a base setup for that car. Run it on the track and adjust from there. BUT and I cant stress this enough, change 1 thing at a time. I know changing one thing at a time will take you longer to get there, but you will know if you are heading in the right direction and what makes the biggest change.
Hey Ben, after looking through the Hudy set up guide I broke it down and summarized in order of preference. First things first is tires. Tires are 90% of setup so if they're wrong, nothing else is really going to fix it!!! At Families it's easy, Holeshots, Digits, Sevens, Turbotrax, (not sure of AKA's small pin, but just ask Gregg/Gunnar). Run what the fast guys run or find the closest equivalent in your tire selections.

So after tires here goes the Hudy summary:
1. Downstops (droop)
2. Ride Height
3. Camber
4. Track Width
5. Caster
6. Toe
7. Ackerman
8. Steering Servo Preload
9. Bump Steer
10. Roll Center
11. Shock Absorbers
12. Front Kickup
13. Rear Anti-squat
14. Wheelbase
15. Anti Roll Bars
16. Rear Wing
17. Clutch
18. Diffs
19. Gearing
20. Tires, GET THE RIGHT ONES FIRST!!!!!