Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best ESC

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DG Designs
I would probably be getting a Tekin but i am not buying a ne computer or software to set the timing(proud Mac owner!) Thinking about the Speed Passion but i cant seem to find a lot of info on it. Its looks like the thread for it was closed. anybody have any input, good or bad?
I'm using a SP LPF and it works fine for me,with the optionl programming card can also be used with Your PC, i don't have it to say how it works,but as the esc come out of the box,it works very well for my needs.With a Novak 7,5L,wrong gearing and 30°C i was able to run 3 packs an the esc was just warm.It'isn't the smallest esc around but i've space on board(CRC GENX10).
I dunno yet how it performs off road,but one thing i really like of it is how sensible is the esc to set up changes.Many people here is getting S.P. products,more and more left LRP's to "jump aboard" with this brand after the release of the new SSX that left many peolpe stuck after few packs .
Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

So the SSX is having problems?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by flame56mx
I do know actually, I race w/ an Orion dealer, and yes his speedo was fast, for about a month, now it's not, as it is on a ups truck back to Orion. I own four Tekin esc's and have never had a issue with any of them. I have seen quite a few orange ones go up in smoke also. I am just offering an "opinion" not stating company "stats". You know as well as I do that a company can boast about it's numbers all they want, but its the results on the track that really matter. For instance, look at lipo's and their "C" rating, some are only 20c, others are 35c. I cant tell the diff between the two, can you?
What you are saying doesn't mean anything. Some people also have trouble with Tekin ESC too.

I'm talking as per spec and price : KO Propo BMC get the highest continuous amp and the most expensive esc in the market today. Translation : the best esc for low turn modified motor.

The result on the track that really matter ?? .... are you talking the result from local monthly club racing or international racing event ?

If you are talking from local monthly club racing perspective : I guess the winner could be anybody who has the best talent driving, not the best esc.

If you are talking from International racing event perspective : I assumed all drivers who participate in this type of race are all top drivers around the world. Do you dare to count how many tekin sponsor drivers win the world titles compare to ko propo sponsor drivers ?? At the worlds, ESC's FET matters.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DG Designs
So the SSX is having problems?
Seems like the issues are with Bec and controller as it was told me from a guy that after attending a race got stuck at the first minute of a semi final cause of the second fan he was using on the esc.(happened with a Novak 4.5R 2S)
A lot of people uses LRP products over here,many of these were awaitng for the SSx to come out for months now that the esc hit the tracks most of this folks is looking for something different.We don't race limited classes over here,the lowest windings class is Stock 10,5 turns 2S/6cells.
Most of the races are unlimited class.Since we dont have indoor tracks most of "the sport" is played in 1/8 outdoor tracks so 17,5/13,5T motors and 5/4cells/1S is something we aren't use to and we don't really consider .For what i've seen and heard from Sr. racers for low windings motors LRP's last esc suck's real bad and many more are in shops waiting to be repaired/serviced.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Drifting101
Yer I know I will get flamed as every body hates these but the search function doesn't allow me to search "best"

So my question is what is the quickest ESC on the market right now, I am currently running TC Spec but there will be faster out there. Will be used with a couple of different 17.5

BTW Money is no object
SO, going back to the beginning now that everyone has had a rant......

If you are racing 17.5's, at club level, in any of the cars like are on your sig, 99 out of 100 racers would feel the difference between any of the top ESC's from LRP, KO Propo, SP, Tekin, or Novak, as far as speed goes.

What will make the difference is quality of wiring and soldering, batteries, connectors, and driving. Nice of ppl here to say "well, at International level blah blah blah", i'm sorry, but guys at international level don't ask questions like this, guys like most of us do.

So, buy the brand you like, and get it set up clean and efficiently. FET's don't really matters at club level from all the top manufacturers. The only FET I ever think about is on Star Wars.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If ONLY racing 17.5, does it matter between Tekin RS and RS Pro?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
If ONLY racing 17.5, does it matter between Tekin RS and RS Pro?
Well, your wallet will be lighter...

Go with the Tekin RS, there is absolutely no difference if you are running 17.5.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Down were I race stock is not entry level it is quite competitive......I placed 5th at the states and 1st at my club so I am need to worry about every .001 sec a lap I can get........I will be buying the RS pro and maybe the SPX aswell
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Drifting101
Down were I race stock is not entry level it is quite competitive......I placed 5th at the states and 1st at my club so I am need to worry about every .001 sec a lap I can get........I will be buying the RS pro and maybe the SPX aswell
As you have the Tekin RS Pro you don't want the SPX any more.
The updates that we get each time are improving the speedo each time and making it faster and faster. The SPX is on his max right now and you can't update it.
Also open the LRP speedo's some time to clean it.
I have now heard of several SPX speedo's going in flames.
And loosing power. Didn't hath that problem with my Tekin. I only got more and more power and a great customer service from them. Te best i ever got and not only when i have problems. also for setups and that kind of stuff Tekin helps you with it.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

In the UK I know of at least 10 stock spec speeods that have stopped working. The problems I know of are they put drag break on and you cant take it off and the other problem is they just loose all power and shut down every now and then.
Go with the Tekin I can assure you, You will not be disappointed!!

Regards

Ricky Copsey
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

any problmes with tekin rs pro on 4cell nimh and 4,5T-6,5T ?? i have a few times truble with my lrp comp 2007...
Old 06-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

From what I have heard there has been no problems experienced at all.

Cheers

Ricky Copsey
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BNiels707
Well, your wallet will be lighter...

Go with the Tekin RS, there is absolutely no difference if you are running 17.5.
Thanks.