Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

"the tuning bible"

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

hi houston,
just wondering why offroad .21engines usually use a much hotter plug than onroad .21engines?

i've seen people using os p3 for their offroad engines but when it comes to onroad engines they'll use a much colder plug like nova#7. both using 25% nitro, air temp about 77F and humidity about 70%.

also, which is more damaging? over lean HSN or over lean LSN?

Last edited by keavze; 07-20-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by keavze
hi houston,
just wondering why offroad .21engines usually use a much hotter plug than onroad .21engines?

i've seen people using os p3 for their offroad engines but when it comes to onroad engines they'll use a much colder plug like nova#7. both using 25% nitro, air temp about 77F and humidity about 70%.

also, which is more damaging? over lean HSN or over lean LSN?
the only thing i can really think of about the onroad plug thing is the way the throttle is applied , the weight of the car and the fact that they are always towards the upper revs of the engine . off road cars are definitely easier to tune with the hotter plug , our offroad engines IMO have a much higher torque load that they transfer to the engine so they like to use a hotter plug to give an advanced timing to the engine .

over lean hsn because thats where your engine is revving and needs more oil

not saying that a lean bog off the bottom is a good thing but its not just caused from a lean lsn . usually high temps or wrong pipe
Old 07-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

thankyou for yr reply houston.

however, what i'm trying to ask about the engine lean issue is that; what damages will happen to the engine if:

you're running it too lean on the
1) LSN, 2) HSN

by the way, how will the tune be affected if there's a change of plug? example from #6 to #5 or from #5 to #6?

Last edited by keavze; 07-21-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Initiate

what are perfect running temps for a OS V-spec?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

There's no such thing as the perfect temp for any engine? Throw your temp gun into the bottom of your pit box and only use it for running in!... Learn to tune by power, sound and smoke. It's a much more accurate way of getting the best perfomance and longevity out of your engines.

google RON PARIS and you'll find the best tips for tuning nitro engines!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Prophet

thankyou for yr reply houston.

however, what i'm trying to ask about the engine lean issue is that; what damages will happen to the engine if:

you're running it too lean on the
1) LSN, 2) HSN

by the way, how will the tune be affected if there's a change of plug? example from #6 to #5 or from #5 to #6?
low speed usually equates to poor low end performance with possible temp spikes and a very high idling that pushes you through the corner .

high speed usually equates to an out of balance feel when running and and much less engine life due to low lubrication flow on throttle .

Old 07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by lowey79
There's no such thing as the perfect temp for any engine? Throw your temp gun into the bottom of your pit box and only use it for running in!... Learn to tune by power, sound and smoke. It's a much more accurate way of getting the best perfomance and longevity out of your engines.

google RON PARIS and you'll find the best tips for tuning nitro engines!
or just look at post #1
Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by houston
low speed usually equates to poor low end performance with possible temp spikes and a very high idling that pushes you through the corner .

high speed usually equates to an out of balance feel when running and and much less engine life due to low lubrication flow on throttle .

so it's more damaging to an engine with a lean HSN than a lean LSN...
Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Tech Prophet

so it's more damaging to an engine with a lean HSN than a lean LSN...
thats what i said in this post http://www.rctech.net/forum/6090701-post77.html
Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by houston
or just look at post #1
Hahaha, i forgot what thread i was in!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default newbie

hi guys

ive just got my frist buggy and me knowing nothing about tuning i'd thought ill ask what will happen if the car is

lean on bottom and what will the car do???
rich on bottom " "
lean on top " "
rich on top " "

or what should i look for.

as i really dont wanna stuff my motor

cheers
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i bought a losi 8ight 2.0 rtr buggy when they first came out and i have been racing it for a month and half. i still have the stock losi 350 engine in it and has great power and seems to run great.

my problem is when it flames out or runs out of fuel, it is nealy impossible to get it to restart until it sits for a while. it temps at about 250 when its 90 outside. i'm wondering if the metal carb could be causing vapor lock because it does not seem to be insulated from the block. thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Rookie

speed freak your too lean on bottom when you flame out hot and its hard to start there is not enough fuel richen your l/s an hour or two and you will find it better
Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by racer-007
hi guys

ive just got my frist buggy and me knowing nothing about tuning i'd thought ill ask what will happen if the car is

lean on bottom and what will the car do???
rich on bottom " "
lean on top " "
rich on top " "

or what should i look for.

as i really dont wanna stuff my motor

cheers
rich will burble lean will hesitate then quit engine should idle smoothly and return to idle after throttle snap. If engine continues to rev after idle snap it is too lean richen the l/s needle if engine bogs and burbles after snap it is too rich on bottom. If engine idles but won't rev has lots of smoke and burbles it is rich on high speed needle if hesitates and revs to a screaming pich it is lean may even stall just quick pointers I recoomend getting someone with experience to help you at local track or hobby shop.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

after a high speed pass, my engine will idle slightly higher; however if i blip the throttle, it'll return to normal idle.
if i don't blip my throttle, it'll return to normal idle after about 5s.
my guess is the LSN still abit lean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.