Wiki Posts
Search

Boost is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
I know right? Your car wasn't exactly fast down the straight last weekend, but somehow managed to lap the field
Perhaps he needs a dyno?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Perhaps he needs a dyno?
No I need a brand new stick. Even though last year I qualified in the top 3 of every race major or minor I entered in TC with the same 2 Batteries.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One run batteries.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
No I need a brand new stick. Even though last year I qualified in the top 3 of every race major or minor I entered in TC with the same 2 Batteries.
Just think Sack, if you would of bought new sticks every race you would of TQ'd.....
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
Perhaps he needs a dyno?
No, he needs to rotate the sensor board more....
Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Chubbs, since you are now the Region 5 MOD TC champion, you are no longer entitled to comment on threads that involve the mere mortals in the spec classes.

The problem is that "blinky" is still in it's infancy. Just like "boost", we won't see all the issues until we've run it for a while. After a full season of "blinky" and the new products that will surely arise, shortcomings will be found there as well. We all know that motors are not all created equal, even two from the same manufacturer. So now, since you can't tune the speedo, motor selection WILL inevitably become more important. Fact of life.

If that's the game we want to play, then so be it. Let's go 17.5 blinky, 13.5 open and Open Mod. I'll just stick to 13.5 open. Problem is, when the lazy racers realize that blinky isn't really fixing anything, what do we do then?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Put the sticks on the dyno??
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chubbspeterson
Come on...this is insane, you mean to tell me not once nobody blows out of runs? Nobody puts down an ill handeling car? No mental errors?

This track must have the greatest racers of all time! I would hate to buy 100.00 lipo's every week to race there!

If in 17.5 "blinky" you guys are exhausting your packs, you must be racing for 10+ min. qualifers. I don't care if it's 1/12th ot 1/10th, equipment is only part of the package.

Ever been to a track where a "driver" kicks your butt with your own car? How did he do that? He used your equipment? Your motors, and your batteries?

How was he a 1/10th faster a lap? It can't be? How could someone be better than me!
There is almost no such thing as an ill handling car in 17.5 blinky 1/12th. They are so slow a monkey with a 12I could get around.

Now I haven't experimented with packs enough to know how big a difference a fresh pack will make, but if it's just .05, that's a HUGE difference in a competitive 17.5 blinky 1/12th race.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Nearly 25 years of RC racing, and the one thing I can always count on is this:

As soon as things start to equalize, we change the friggin' rules.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
There is almost no such thing as an ill handling car in 17.5 blinky 1/12th. They are so slow a monkey with a 12I could get around.
And this one I dunno about. Around yes, outta the way, not so much. I ran this past weekend. My Blinky HP was as good as anyone there, including EA. My car however, was just too stuck at both ends. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at it, tire combos, springs, dampening, body styles, I just couldn't free it up. I would've had the same problem boosted.

The one thing I did notice was that throttle feel is probably the biggest joke I've ever heard of in the blinky vs. boosted debate. 17.5 blinky 1s is FULL PULL. There's nothing to be gained by finessing the trigger. Pull the biggest gear you can, full can timing, and pray that's enough.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey CypressMidWest,

Question for ya for 1/12th. What are your thoughts on going mod binky?
I personally don't like this binky stuff.Lol... Again this is just for 1/12th.

13.5 1/12th boosted is slow for me. I would love to run Mod 1/12th but no one seems to want to run it. Or instead of Binky just have preset profiles for Touring,Offroad and 1/12th like The LRP SPX back in the day. just a thought.

The best thing in Mod it all come's down to who has the best trigger finger.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mike ivy
Hey CypressMidWest,

Question for ya for 1/12th. What are your thoughts on going mod binky?
I personally don't like this binky stuff.Lol... Again this is just for 1/12th.

13.5 1/12th boosted is slow for me. I would love to run Mod 1/12th but no one seems to want to run it. Or instead of Binky just have preset profiles for Touring,Offroad and 1/12th like The LRP SPX back in the day. just a thought.

The best thing in Mod it all come's down to who has the best trigger finger.
Mike,

I've never been a fan of Mod rules, aside from availability of equipment (motor and battery) and a limit on chassis specs. I think boosted Mod is AWESOME. Any guy can run HP that's reasonable for them in the infield and still get enough straightaway rip to get outta the way of Blackstock or Cyrul without getting run over. Track size is the determining factor for 12th mod imho. If the track is big enough, guys should run it. Otherwise they're just skeered.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ROAR should probably vote to put a freeze on rule changes regarding classing for 3-4 years. Kind of like F1's freeze on engine development. Just set up the rules for 2012 and lock them in.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i cant help but laugh at posts like these.
when i first started in rc cars a 1200mah nicad was the only choice
a 05 stock motor was the king.
now after all these years of wanting more power people complain its to fast
roflmao.seems to me there is to many who dont want change,they want to pull the trigger flat and steer.they still want nimh
the whole idea is throttle control and setup.
why slow a class down just because a few cant keep up,they should be in a slower class.
all this crap about making a even playing field and cheaper is a joke.
if a guy has money to burn he will just over gear and replace motors every couple meets,new tyres,higher c rating batteries,the latest fast motor.
seems the days have gone were we used to say "hey look tony has a new battery and motor,that thing fly,s awesome" now its "tony has a new motor and its faster than mine,i am going to scream and cry and get his motor band"
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Come on guy.....

Stock racing is about doing your homework, test, test, test. the guys that do that, and work on their chassis, and DRIVING, are the guys on top...

Take a look at a Top stock driver's run, I bet at the big races, were the top stock racers go, it's 6-8 minutes of near perfection.

Get your hot lap and 20+ lap average to be within .01 to .02 then you'll be on to something....

Pisst...It is the same is Mod too....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.