ACADEMY New SB V2 4WD Buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACADEMY New SB V2 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:02 AM
Mike Kazz

Make sure the outdrive collars are on correctly per manual. Also, If your diff is maelting, make sure that the tention in the spring is still good. For all my cars, When not using them for a while, I loosen the diffs and release the tention in the springs... Do not grease the outdrives also... JUST IN CASE...

Old 11-26-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Mike, why wouldn't you put the diff fluid (grease I am assuming was meant) on the diff as stated in the manual?

If you have the newer style universals, does it look like you have more room between the universal end that goes into the outdrive and the flat surface across from it of the outdrive? If so, maybe try a different diff spring like the B4 diff spring? We did this trick on the SB V1s as originally the diff nuts would bottom out and have no diff action or worse wouldn't tighten up enough. The B4 spring was bigger with more space between the coils so you could tighten it down more and still have "diff" action.

May be worth a look.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's been almost a year since I reviewed the V2 here

I gave the car a much lower rating than the sb-sport, because of

- center driveshaft: Didn't fit the joints well, had to be ground a bit, bad material combination since its ends should have been plastic (which didn't hold up and was replaced by steel pins that damage the outdrives, driveshaft setup in general seemed very carelessly constructed.)

- rear end: less articulation than front end. Diff outdrives too short, even shorter on the right side making the driveshafts fall out. Ridiculously thick universal drive shafts (4mm steel) would bind and break the outdrives unless there are a lot of suspension limiters (inside & outside) used, effectively crippling many attempts to change the setup.

- price: 270 Euros (300 $) is just not right by any measure for the basic, flawed V2 kit. Though I understand that the pricing was Academy Europe's/Germany's genuine idea.

Now from what I've read on the last few pages, there seem to be some fixes - but there's no definitive statement that they actually rectify the issues.
So, can anybody help me out? I'm not up to date any more.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PerformanceRC
Tonys screws what does the screw pack weigh?
Do you want the weight of the complete kit in the packaging?

Tony P.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Tony - is the kit for the standard sport or the carbon upgrade? The carbon top plate is counter sunk and the FRP isn't. So they would have to be different screws.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Tony i was looking for the weight of the screws themselves.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DanGriffin
Tony - is the kit for the standard sport or the carbon upgrade? The carbon top plate is counter sunk and the FRP isn't. So they would have to be different screws.
Hi Dan,

I just found out about the carbon upgrade. The TS-SBV2 screw kit will be for the SB Sport V2. I will also put together another kit for the carbon upgrade (TS-SBV2PRO) that will have flat heads instead of button heads for the upgraded parts.

Thanks and best regards,

Tony P.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PerformanceRC
Tony i was looking for the weight of the screws themselves.
The screw kit comes with 126 pieces. The car only uses @101 pieces so I supply extras. The screws are Grade 12.9 black oxide alloy steel. They are the strongest screws you can buy for our R/C application with a tensile strength of 174,000 psi minimum. The screws also have a deeper socket than many others that allows the hex driver to get a better bite on the screws. All the screws come individually bagged and labeled in a re-sealable zip-lock bag and I also include some Tony's Screws decals and business card in every kit .

If you want, I can still weigh the screws but it'll be the 126 pieces.

Best regards,
Old 11-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Can people in the UK buy your screw kits?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
Can people in the UK buy your screw kits?
ABSOLUTELY!

My shopping cart provider's software doesn't have an option for International orders, so I put a note on the front page to just email me your orders. I ship most International packages via USPS Global Priority mail for $6 (if I can use the USPS GPM flat rate small envelope, otherwise I use USPS Airmail Letter Post and will email you back a shipping quote). What it costs me is what it costs you. I do not believe in making money off shipping on customers.

I ship International orders out 6 days a week.

Best regards
Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by re-inferno
It's been almost a year since I reviewed the V2 here

I gave the car a much lower rating than the sb-sport, because of

- center driveshaft: Didn't fit the joints well, had to be ground a bit, bad material combination since its ends should have been plastic (which didn't hold up and was replaced by steel pins that damage the outdrives, driveshaft setup in general seemed very carelessly constructed.)

- rear end: less articulation than front end. Diff outdrives too short, even shorter on the right side making the driveshafts fall out. Ridiculously thick universal drive shafts (4mm steel) would bind and break the outdrives unless there are a lot of suspension limiters (inside & outside) used, effectively crippling many attempts to change the setup.

- price: 270 Euros (300 $) is just not right by any measure for the basic, flawed V2 kit. Though I understand that the pricing was Academy Europe's/Germany's genuine idea.

Now from what I've read on the last few pages, there seem to be some fixes - but there's no definitive statement that they actually rectify the issues.
So, can anybody help me out? I'm not up to date any more.
The center driveshaft has been reworked some and fits in the drive cups perfectly.

The universals also received a major overhaul and have been totaly redone. They no longer bind and break the outdrives. They are now a stronger, yet smaller size. And travel limiters can be used to once again tune the suspension and not the depth of the dogbone in the diff outdrive.

As far as price, the V2 Pro car will be priced very well against other makes of 4wd cars. Probably much cheaper. We will have to wait and see. As far as the flaws you speak of, those have been taken care of. MRC/Academy is fully driven to producing a world class 4wd car, and they are proving that day after day.

All in all, the SBV2 can compete with the Yokomo's, Losi's, BJ4's, ect. And for far less. This car is a winner out of the box, and im looking forward to putting mine in the winners circle.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just wanted to let you all know that another shipment has been made to Stormer Hobbies, I also sent him a bunch of pictures for his website as well, in the hopes that it will make all of your lives easier. Hope all is well, talk to you soon!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Do you have a pic of the Carbon arms that you can post on here?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Of course I do
Attached Thumbnails ACADEMY New SB V2 4WD Buggy-dsc03311.jpg  
Old 12-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Does that have a "vla" type option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.