Fukuyama Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Mark ????

Originally posted by Randman
Randman is stuck at work

When you gonna cruise up to SoCal with me?!?
I'm thinking about taking a Tuesday off work sometime soon and catching a ride up there with you. I just need to time it right with work. I'll let you know. We'll see if I can get my car to actually handle on that track.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I do have next Saturday off
Old 01-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

Default Truth about high end batteries?

I am confused about Nimh 3300/3000 expensive batteries.

...for example, say I am running a stock motor in a touring car in a 5 minute race with a 1700mah Nicad 6 cell battery pack.
What exaclty is the real advantage of going with a more expensive battery. What real difference will I see with a NIMH 3300 (matched or un-matched)

My knowledge of electricity is not great but
I thought a stock motor requires 20 to 30 amps at 7 to 8 volts.
If a battery can supply this for 5 full minutes then that is all that is really needed. A battery which can supply this for 10 minutes is not really better if all that is actually needed is 5 minutes.

I spend a lot of time in the world of High End audio, which is plagued by claims of superior sound produced by expensive accessories and componants. When these claims are tested most prove to be false.

I am wondering how many of these claims for the superiority of high end batteries have been proven in real world tests.
If in fact these batteries are superior how significant is it. In the world of professional factory team racing gaining 3 secs in a 5 minute heat may be significant, but not that significant in local club racing.

For example, if I took my stock Losi XXX-S with my stock motor and a $20 name brand 1700mah Nicad and ran it in a controlled setting, say a big oval loop in a parking lot at full throttle going away, 1/2 throttle coming back towards me, stoped the car and then acclerated to full speed every lap.
Then I repeated this experiment with a $75+ matched NIMH 3300 battery pack. How many seconds difference would I see on my stop watch?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Randman
I do have next Saturday off
Don't think I'll be able to make it next Saturday. I may have to work. We'll see though. I'll let you know by Teusday. That would be better so I don't have to take a vacation day.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

To make this short as possible.....

The newer batteries have longer runtimes, higher voltage, lower IR, and are MUCH more durable and resistant to memory effects.

So.....

Lower IR = MORE punch (aka better acceleration)

Higher Voltage = Higher Top Speed

Higher Durability = Cells can take more abuse and can be charged more often

Memory Resistant = Less likely to get the memory effect NiCads were prone to because of incorrect charging or discharging habits

Longer Runtimes = In stock, this would allow you to GEAR up without the worry of dumping. Just remember, don't gear up so high your motor cooks. There is a point of diminishing returns.

You don't need the $75 matched packs....only the top racers need stuff like that or the guy who thinks he needs the best of everything (like me! haha). Fukuyama has great batteries for like $35 bucks....the difference is hardly noticeable to even a GOOD driver.

Later EddieO
Old 01-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

You took the words right off my key board Eddie! Those Older NiCD's were't able to give the high voltage and low IR's that we're seeing in the newer cells. As for run time. You'd never be able to run a 7 turn in a touring car geared the way we gear them, for more than a few minutes. Guys have some trouble still with dumping in mod because of the massive power of todays modified motors. Eddie's right though. You can get a GOOD matched pack of 1.15 3300's from Fukuyama for about $35. Just visit the site and try one for yourself. You'll be plesently suprised. Just make sure to take care of them the way they reccommend on the site and you'll be very well off. It's well worth the extra $15. You won't need the higest end pack until you're racing at a high level of competition.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

True, & to elaborate a bit on the difference between GP3300's & older NiCd cells, it really comes down more to how much of its voltage it retains in the late stages of a race. In the beginning of a run, the NiCd's will likely be just as good, just as punchy, but because of their lower capacity, the voltage will drop much more quickly than the 3300's(even in stock), & by the end of a 5 minute race the 3300's wil have a VERY noticable advantage. At my local track, e saw a good example of this when one of our fast guys ws still running 2400mah NiCd's & all the sponsored guys he ran against had 3300's. In the early stages of the runs, he was even with them(& he ws outdriving them, so he could build a good lead early on), but by the 1 minute to go mark, you could see how much his car was slowing, & that the others didn't slow in the least, so by the end, they'd catch him every time(he still won his share of those runs, but only from some truly inspired driving, keeping the others from getting inside of him, & if he made even ONE mistake, they'd leave him behind). As I said, by the end of a run, you could easily see the difference in speed between his car & the others running 3300's, & needless to say, by the next race weekend, he had bought a fresh set of 3300's for himself....
Old 01-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just want to say good luck to everyone able to attend the snowbirds. Bring home some trophies!
Old 01-24-2004, 04:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by jkerr0043
Don't think I'll be able to make it next Saturday. I may have to work. We'll see though. I'll let you know by Teusday. That would be better so I don't have to take a vacation day.
Yeah, be sure to let me know, cuz I might just go up north for gas racing if you dont wanna go to SoCal.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

I just found out, I'm free on Saturday! When do you want to get up there?
Old 01-24-2004, 05:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by jkerr0043
I just found out, I'm free on Saturday! When do you want to get up there?
They open at 10, I'm always down for a full day of practice
Old 01-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

My house @ 9:00? I could use all practice I can get there. I haven't been there in probably 5 or 6 months.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default 1ST experience with Fukuyama

Hello everyone my first post. I just wanted to tell everyone about my experience with fukuyama. Last week I emailed the address on ther website looking for some 1.17 (like everyone on the planet)dan emailed me back and said some were available,buy the time I read my email it was to late.Dan told me to try the following thursday.Wed I emailed Dan to get an update, I received an email the next day or so saying ther were two packs reserved for me.MY point being I'm not some big sponserd driver just a weekend club driver.I wasn't pushed aside or forgotten about .Kudos to fukuyama I'm a customer for rc career
Old 01-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Welcome to the Fukuyama Family!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Re: 1ST experience with Fukuyama

Originally posted by sns820
Hello everyone my first post. I just wanted to tell everyone about my experience with fukuyama. Last week I emailed the address on ther website looking for some 1.17 (like everyone on the planet)dan emailed me back and said some were available,buy the time I read my email it was to late.Dan told me to try the following thursday.Wed I emailed Dan to get an update, I received an email the next day or so saying ther were two packs reserved for me.MY point being I'm not some big sponserd driver just a weekend club driver.I wasn't pushed aside or forgotten about .Kudos to fukuyama I'm a customer for rc career
Welcome and enjoy your new packs! I'm sure you'll be very pleased with them!

Buddha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.