Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why touring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

How about the new Tamiya direct drive 10 scale tourer, maybe???
Old 12-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

i race TC becasue its the popular class in my area. TC on carpet int he winter, and 1/8th buggy in the summer

personally i love how the TC class is always changing. i think a big reason why you think no one races 12th is becasue it never changes, like you said. where is the skill in having your car hook up all the time, and not have to make changes? sure doesnt look like skill to me.....
Old 12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My thought is that the price hike on TC may be affected by the over-popularity around the world, first you have all these top companies making nice chassises for racers and for those who just want to look cool to have fun the bodies are appealing to people's real cars or dream cars. I think if 12th can get more ppl into it the industry will grow like whats happening in TC as well. I really love the 12th bodies and love the way it runs and I would have bought a 12L4 instead of a Pro4 if I could find any indoor/carpet tracks around my area, but the closest one is at least 3hours driving away. Anyways, just take it easy guys/gals, let's just have fun and leave these marketing craps to the people who don't enjoy RC.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
it seems your the one thats offended by the technology that is coming out not myself since you are the thread starter right?
Correct...I am, The technology advances make the prices go up and growth of the hobby go down. I feel we should be concerned about the future/welfare of our toy car racing.

Charlie: I am interested in see what direction the Tamiya direct-drive touring car will go in. I feel its a good idea. Hopefully it spurs a bigger movement. We can use our existing touring tires/bodies but the car will be much more efficient
Old 12-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ogreasurada
Anyways, just take it easy guys, let's just have fun and leave these marketing craps to the people who don't enjoy RC.
I'm glad to see someone who doesn't nesscessarily agree with my statements understand what I am trying to convey and reply in a level-headed manner

Thanks, You deserve a cookie
Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Charlie O
How about the new Tamiya direct drive 10 scale tourer, maybe???

DITTO!!! I hope this class takes off and ends up in the TCS series. If it does then soon you will see Touring Pan cars. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Brant
Old 12-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So... just because you think 12th scale is better... we all should?
Touring pan car was popular around here about 10 years ago... just died out
Old 12-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Kat I feel your pain. Back years ago I was in a similar situation as you, not much money to spend for RC cars. I was getting beat by drivers of less skill but more money. I took some years off and concentrated on my career now years later I can afford to buy what ever I need. Touring cars will be around for some time, it’s a giant rolling monster were new cars, batteries , chargers ect will change every 6 months. There is now large amounts of money to be made from this hobby. You will never see pan cars again there is no money in it for manufactures and they would not allow it. If you want to keep racing get better ( lots of practice ) with your 12 scale go to a few big races place your car as high as you can in the mains and maybe some one will sponsor you. It's not always talent but how you present your self is what some manufactures are always looking for. I have been racing since 1978 I have seen it all come and go. You are correct about the price of a new touring cars this is why you see a bunch of 35 year plus olds playing with rc cars. I’m one of them lol.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I race both 12th scale and touring cars. I find 12th scale challenging and a lot of work. That's one of the reasons 12th scale is fun. However, TC's are easier to drive and not as much work to tune or drive, so it's a little more relaxing... that's why it's fun. I race in the spec class with a spec motor and spec tires, so the cost isn't too bad.

-Frank
Old 12-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FrankW
I race both 12th scale and touring cars. I find 12th scale challenging and a lot of work. That's one of the reasons 12th scale is fun. However, TC's are easier to drive and not as much work to tune or drive, so it's a little more relaxing... that's why it's fun. I race in the spec class with a spec motor and spec tires, so the cost isn't too bad.

-Frank
I tried to get a bit more of a spec aspect going on with a form of "racers agreement" in the area but the few of us who agreed on it, agreed it'd never work.

12th scale and TC are two different diciplines. TC costs a lot more and for some its easier, some people like me believe that TC is harder and don't see the point in doing something that isn't as much fun when you don't put as much cash into it.

My goal now is to become as good as possible with this car I have (CRC T-Fource) and rack up some podiums.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

for one, new technology comming out so fast is a good thing. that means the 6 month old technology comes down in price that much faster. and that 6 month old stuff, its still damn good stuff. i dont have much tied up in my touring setup at all. i have a used tc4, some good 3300's from guys that went to 3800's, a used digital intellipeak, etc. my setup is plenty good to win at our track, i just need to work on my radio input interface its that which wins races, as long as your car is pretty good, a good driver can get the job done. you also have to remember, not every track runs every class. where i run, its either tamiya spec, or touring stock.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a TC3, some used but ok 3300's, used electronics are all cheap and can put you in first place easily with an ok driver...i dont think you need tons of money to be on top
Old 12-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

When there is a pan car that can hook up in low traction and handle bumps, then it might gain in popularity. Remember, most people don't race on the glass top surfaces that hold the Nats and Worlds. Touring has 4wd and independent suspension with makes it handle much better than a pan car.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The thing that bugs me the most is I hear guys say to me all the time how much more they like 1/12th than TC, yet they show up every week and race their TC because it's what everyone else is doing. I've been racing my 1/12th for a few months now and I love RC again. When I got back into it and had to drive a TC it just wasn't what I had hoped, 1/12th scale cars are like GTP racecars and TCs are like souped up family sedans. I grew up racing 1/12th scale and just love the precision. TC was a poor, sloppy, heavy, overly forgiving substitute for what I remembered RC racing to be.

Funny thing is, 1/12th scale died out because of how expensive it was and how difficult it was to get good batteries. Now that batteries are a cinch and 1/12th is probably the cheapest form of electric racing it's gaining a little in popularity but not nearly as much as I had hoped it would. It's just like everything else in our society, very few people want to do something different from the accepted norm, and right now that norm in most areas is electric TC.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the biggest problem I have with my 12th scale is tire maintenance. I seem to go through fronts like their's no tomorrow. With rubber tires on sedans, they last quite a while and I dont have to worry about chuncking or gearing up in responce to tire wear.

Spec classes only work if the racing organizer creates it. "Gentlemen" agreements don't work, it has to be organized.

-Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.