Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

lee i do run a oneway alot! but i also use a spool and dont use full lock either even in slow speed corners if the car is setup right it should rotate with minimal input with the steering the only time i have used full lock is if i am spun out and need to be turned around, other then that never! with oneway or spool! i wished would could meet at a race so i could show you in person!
thank you lee you understand how much dual rate do you use!
i use between 55 and 70%
Old 09-30-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i also use around 70%(that's my starting point) i dont really know how much i twist the dialer/knob when i'm running aka panicking
electronically it's limited to 80,then it starts to just beep.
i normally dial down,not up.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

so then you arent using lock and your car must be set up correcttly!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

I use between 50-70 depending on the traction, its a matter of preference, but when looked at generally, very few do use lock to lock.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs down

I'm quite certain if I was using a one way on an open tarmac circuit, I'd turn my steering rate down a bit. Maybe. Or maybe I'm just sooooooo brilliant I'd simply use less stick - has that ever crossed your minds?

I could easily claim that drivers that win races WITHOUT using electronic aids on the Tx are actually better racers, with more skill.

I could also claim that racers that set up their cars 'correctly' should have no need to use expo, rates, anti-lock braking, take off control etc etc or any other electronic magic on their cars - all of which are 'driver aids' to make their 'difficult' to drive race cars easier to race.

I think that certain 'experienced' racers can all too easily get very conceited.

I know for a fact, that on my local track one-ways dont work - PERIOD. It's just too tight and grip is at a premium because of the control tyres. To give you some idea, I'm running low to mid 1:8's on the gearing. On the same car/motor/cells I know people running mid 1:5's on more open circuits. Does that mean I'm wrong? No, it means that my 'home' car is set up for me on my local track. That also means plenty of lock, something that the TC3 lacks out of the box. Perhaps not for oval racing, or tracks where you can pretty much cane it all the way around.

Most of the other makes of car have far more lock than than the TC3 does. Yes to some degree the car can be steered on the throttle, but there is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR GOOD LOCK ON A TIGHT, SLIPPERY & TECHNICAL CIRCUIT. Period. My set-up is good, my driving is 'better than average' and I do OK. If I tried making up for inferior lock on the TC3 by changing everything else, I'd definitely be compromising many other aspects of the cars handling. Not good!

One more thing - Tyre wear. My front tyres are not being scrubbed, so therfore I am not using either my rates or available lock incorrectly. That's why our TC3's have Ackerman. My tyres last a whole season and the first few rounds of the next!! Go figure.........

For reference, my lap consistency is usually within .4 - .8 (difference between fastest and slowest lap) of a second with my current set-up, which is about as good as I can get it with a TC3.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Ok could we drop the arguement.

I have had to wade through plenty of this already.Horatio,you do what you want.Certain things you have said reveal what level a driver you are.If what you say works,then good for you.Otherwise could we get back to the thread guys?
Old 10-01-2003, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Ok could we drop the arguement.

Originally posted by racenut123
I have had to wade through plenty of this already.Horatio,you do what you want.Certain things you have said reveal what level a driver you are.If what you say works,then good for you.Otherwise could we get back to the thread guys?
This is TC3 forum, we were discussing (and still are) steering on the TC3. There is no argument. It's just that people like me and Boomer like proper explanations from 'experts' - not very broad generalisations like 'if you need more than 50 percent lock you aint drivng the car properly' etc.

Funny, I don't recall any input from you whatsoever?

Also in your opinion, what level of driver would you say I was from what I've said? I'd be interested to hear it!

Place your bets please drivers...........
Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

DOTMAN: I have had the same issue with the rubbing of the springs/retainer, or the shock eyelet at the bottom of the shock with the rear tower up front. But it usually does it when i run 26 mm front foams. Seems (to best of my memory, and im getting old mind you...) it didnt make a difference with ASC or Losi hubs. I also use both hub carriers, or caster blocks, ASC doesnt make 6 degree carriers, so i have been using Losi carriers to keep it simple for me, but with the same results. I usually cut down my fronts (width) anyways... 24mm front and 26mm back. Which seemed to solve the issue. The only time i run 26mm front is with 30mm foams in the rear and no rear toe... or 26mm rubbers. I always stretch my 24mm tires over 26mm rims and inserts, and shape the sidewalls with a dremel and a sanding drum for smooth consistent sidebite. Maybe if i used less steering lock to lock it wouldnt happen? Hope this helps.

RacerDX: Sounds to me like your servo saver adjustment is too loose... or maybe you have a partially stripped gear in your servo? The gear would usually make an obvious noise though... Check it out and let us know!

Boomer: Thanks for the props on the 4X2 chassis, im sure i wasnt the only one to think of it, but alot of time went into that chassis with a dremel and files. I was very pleased to see it do so well on the track. It just wasnt feasible when utilizing the same batteries for several different cars in different classes, or needing someone elses pack in a pinch! Back to the drawing board!!
- Dave
Old 10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Yep - that's the only reason I didn't mess with it. I also run a 10L2 with a Mod at Revelation (man, THAT's the way an RC Car is supposed to be driven!!! ) and I need symmetric packs for that. . .
Old 10-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default horatio

The point I was trying to make is that people like you because of whatever reason like to Hijack threads to hear themselves speak.I just receieved a TC3 recently after taking a 2 year period away from the car.I was thumbing through here and this is what I have to read?Your opinion of yourself and your compentancy as a driver/setup guy.This thread is bigger then just you my friend.I hadn't given any input so far because I just came here today.I just hate wading through Garbage,thats all.You made your point awhile back and so did speedxl.My point is alright already!You differ in opinion.I may agree with one of your opinions completely,but thats neither here nor there.

So if you want to continue debating,be my guest.

In regard to what my opinion of your driving is personally,really cant say being that I have never seen your drive.But when you say certain things that are opinions and they go against all practical wisdom,your own words betray you and thus your credibility as a driver/setup guru is compromised.Just my OPINION.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

ok now we are saying that everything that we are all saying is garbage! guys take it easy we are just giving opinions on what we know or have learned to help each other! i havent said that anyone here sucks! i just gave some detail to my race experiance so you could see that i have some history doing this! generally with experiance comes knowledge! am i wrong ! no bodies comments here are garbage!
racenut i am sure you werent pick at me but lets all play nice! racenut this is a forum and we may never all agree even in the full size auto world every nut has a theory to his own maddness! i am sure we can all agree to that!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Rcnut:

Hey - cool it down a little. I never hijacked any thread! I don't profess to be bigger than the thread, a master setup guru or any of the rest of it.

I'd love to know what I've said that defies 'all pratical wisdom' and also why my 'words betray me'.

You haven't explained why.

It's nice to know that you agreed with something I said, though I wouldn't dare ask you what it was

I'd hate to think that my credibility has been lost - I didn't have much to start with

You guys are sure easy to wind up - I seem to bring them all out of the wood-work!! No one can say that the threads I visit are boring.............

Peace
Old 10-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

this is fairly typical of discussions on this entire board, racenut. If you read everything that Horatio, Dave, speedxl and I have been saying, you can actually get a very good, 2 sided discussion about steering lock on a TC3. You get both sides and a good amount of technical detail. All four of us are very technical and all four of us have been backing our opinions with practice and substantial detail.

Of course I will say that speedxl and Horatio are full of hot air! I think everyone knows that by now! only kidding. We differ in opinion, but we all want to go fast.

Nobody makes you read this thread or this board. I guess I could tie you up and use matchsticks to keep your eyes open so you would have to read it, but I know people that would enjoy that. . .hmmm, never mind!

In any case, the discussion is still appropriate to this thread. I am sorry if you don't enjoy it - just skim over us if you don't. I plan to keep discussing things and at length!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Speedxl:

We don't always agree on everything each other says; but you sure know your stuff AND what's more you have a great sense of humour!! You crack me up laughing.

I agree - nothing I've read on this thread so far has been garbage. I learn something every time I get onto the forums.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

Boomer:

You make me laugh too bro!

Don't talk to me about hot air - I just had baked beans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.