Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

In all honesty it is going to boil down to the fact that you cant beat the tried and true 103. F1 is finally making a comeback and I don't see this chassi being able to compete. I have a trg, f104 trg, f104,f109,exo 104 and 103 and a few other variations of the f1 and tried and true the easier the car is to set up the faster you can go. I've tested them all on several tracks with tons of variables and still have yet to see someone be able to knock down a 103 with a good pilot. Theirs no way. It's like putting a pan car up against a mini Cooper , the rear suspension and gearing of this f1 will keep it slow. Always live by the fact that it's easier to keep it simple stupid.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Personally I don't give a crap about pan cars. F1 cars are not pan cars. A short course truck is not a touring car because they have the same type of suspension and drive train. They are very different. For one, f1 cars aren't a giant wing on wheels. You don't need sophisticated suspension at this scale when you have so much down force available. Another is pan cars never use rubber tires.

I would love to see some innovation happen with f1 cars. Pan cars can stay pan cars for all I care.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Pan cars do use rubber wheels and boddies that aren't a wing...on concrete ovals.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
That tie rod is the "upper deck" and judging by it's proximity to the motor cavity, I doubt a standard carbon/fiberglass upper deck would have had any good mounting points. Case in point, the upper rear suspension arm mounts are SUPER close to the pushrod rockers, so no room for a proper piece of material there.

I'm guessing on another aspect, but there are teeth in the front suspension bulkheads which might be for adjustable caster. That would be MUCH appreciated!

My only fear is F/R weight bias. Most RWD r/c cars have a distinct rearward bias, but this car has the battery extending fairly far forward.

p.s.-I MUST HAVE ONE.
I agree it looks to be for castor adjustment.
Only thing I don't care for is the gear pitch.
Looks really cool otherwise.

I also agree...I must have one.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

IMHO as long as F1 is a class for fun racing here in Germany the guys would stick to their "pan car", because pan cars are easy to setup and very light.

But I will by one if it is not to expensive. I like the idea of a true scale F1 with a good rear suspension to bash around our local track and a parking lot near my place. As I've said i depends on the costs.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For rubber tire racing, bumpy surface and strong motors this F1 should be faster than a solid axle. It would be nice to slap on a turbo/boost esc.

For realism, a sure winner! And I think we are all into F1 rc for realism and not just going round in circles like other classes.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I'm not flaming. Like it has been posted before, current F1 cars are pretty easy to deal with. You can make things pretty complex on a pan car, but it doesn't have to be that way to get good performance. At least some part of the decline of sedan is the complexity of the suspension. I realize that some here would like to have IRS and the challenge of setting that up, but that would probably have a negative effect on participation.

F1 is actually gaining some momentum after years of barely being there at all. Wholesale changes would be bad just because that momentum might be destroyed. If this car had come out 4 or 5 years ago, when F1 was at a low point, maybe it would have redefined the class. Tamiya, to their credit, re introduced the F103 a few years ago and got the class back on track.

To be honest, I still have a hard time believing that an IRS car with a gearbox will be faster than a straight axle direct drive car. It's just hard to say what will happen when the door is opened.
You know,my 1st thoughts when I saw this car was "o-boy,just when f1 is taking off...someone is going to toss us a complex car and mess things all up"
I actually posted "there goes the neighborhood" in another thread.
I did not want to muck up this thread with any negative energy. but since you brought it up..I will say it was inevitable that a mass produced irs f1 car was going to happen. Lets hope things work out and advanced cars like this don't kill the class again.
With our clubs current silvercan rule (soon to be 21.5)..I feel this car is gonna be a dud compared to a good old 103. The difference will happen when some low wind horsepower is applied. Guess we will see.

My earlier comments here (that I will be getting one of these cars) is purely based on the looks of the car. It looks damn cool for sure.
I also would guess that anything sparking up interest in f1 onroad is a good thing.

Guess you could say I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"I also would guess that anything sparking up interest in f1 onroad is a good thing."

I'm all for that as well. I'm sure they did a lot of testing before the release of the car and 3 racing does not build junk. I will wait until I see one in action first though. I am putting an old F102 together now for someone that will be capable on the track as is. I do like the mantiswerx car with it's rear a-arm setup so I can see the advantages for it. Only track time will tell the story.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
"I also would guess that anything sparking up interest in f1 onroad is a good thing."
This could be the right timing for a proper IRS F1 car.
There are a lot of F1 rubber tires on the market now to support it.

I prefer the simplicity and low cost of the current gen of F1's
But, yeah, whatever brings racers to the track can't be all bad.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

so... when do we get a chance to buy one of these puppies... im lovng the look of it, It does look like a f201 with out the awd crap to weigh it down!

i want 1, i want 1!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree that some of the car does look "plasticky"; however, I am sure that 3 racing will release a graphite chassis conversion for the car at some point that will correct all that.

As to the straight axle vs independent susp. designs, I can't speak for everyone out there, but I would like to think that the #1 reason that people are drawn to F1 rc racing is two part. Part 1 is most F1 rc racers follow real F1 racing and are fans. Part 2 is that they appreciate the "scale" appearance of the F1 rc cars, as most other forms of on-road racing have gone down the "pure performance" path and have as a result abandoned scale realism. Most touring cars race with Protoform style bodies that do not represent any particular real car; and the same can be said for most pan car classes as well.

So to me, as someone who appreciates scale realism over "pure performance", I am all for the direction that 3 racing is attempting. I would like to see F1 rc racing embrace the "scale realism" concept and develop cars that not only look like the real thing, but also perform very well too. This new car from 3 racing may not be perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Ultimately those who support F1 rc racing need to decide which is more important; all-out pure performance or scale realism. I've already made my choice!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I agree that some of the car does look "plasticky"; however, I am sure that 3 racing will release a graphite chassis conversion for the car at some point that will correct all that.

As to the straight axle vs independent susp. designs, I can't speak for everyone out there, but I would like to think that the #1 reason that people are drawn to F1 rc racing is two part. Part 1 is most F1 rc racers follow real F1 racing and are fans. Part 2 is that they appreciate the "scale" appearance of the F1 rc cars, as most other forms of on-road racing have gone down the "pure performance" path and have as a result abandoned scale realism. Most touring cars race with Protoform style bodies that do not represent any particular real car; and the same can be said for most pan car classes as well.

So to me, as someone who appreciates scale realism over "pure performance", I am all for the direction that 3 racing is attempting. I would like to see F1 rc racing embrace the "scale realism" concept and develop cars that not only look like the real thing, but also perform very well too. This new car from 3 racing may not be perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Ultimately those who support F1 rc racing need to decide which is more important; all-out pure performance or scale realism. I've already made my choice!
+1 from me.. that why i race Mini, as its scaled down and the cars look fantastic going around the track. Im so over teh touring car same shell cars... just doesnt look good in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

pokiou, I also race in a Mini class where I live. We race the ABC Hobby Goose which is a rear wheel drive that is the same dimensions overall as the Tamiya minis(some Tamiya mini parts like wheels, tires and shocks and certain bodies will fit it) They offer awesome scale realism and with the rear wheel drive they even drive more like a real car. We have strict rules that enforce the
"scale racing" concept, and as a result all the cars look like the real thing! Datsuns, Toyotas, Mazdas, Mini Coopers, etc.

If on-road racing is going to make a serious comeback, then I think the way to go is with the "scale realistic" approach. The "all-out pure performance" route has resulted in making on-road racing too expensive for most and has nearly killed it. And I'm not just making this up; check out any forum or thread out there about why on-road is hurting and most everyone says the same thing I just said.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus

I agree. Look at SCT they exploded because of the scale realism. Is that part of the reason the VTA class has taken off as well. People in this hobby like racing along with building the cars. Building is everything from tuning them to building the most realistic car possible.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like the car. I think its neat, new, interesting, and I want to try one. But I think it will get waxed when they start showing up at regular club races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.