Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T3

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Photocycler
Thanks, what would my limitations be racing the T3R without those parts? I am a beginner road guy so do not know much more aside from gearing, camber and caster settings
Not much limitation. Like Bonadona and others said, try to get a set of turnbuckle and sway bars and that's it. If you want more option, then I suggest you to get a second hand T3 in good condition to limit the cost.
But to begin TC class with, the T3R will be great.

Don't worry to much about the settings. You can follow the intruction manual to start with (it will work well), but focus first on these 4 crutial points:
- Correct assembly of the car, suspensions travel free from any issue, and symetric L/R.
- Differential tight enough but ALWAYS smooth.
- Bodyshell/wing correctly cut and posted.
- and the most important of all, choose the right tires for your application and take the greatest care of them.

Everything else will come on time !
Happy begining !
Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ate the Cvds and diffs the same in the T3 and t3r
Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Ate the Cvds and diffs the same in the T3 and t3r
Nope, T3R comes with 4 natural Aluminium CVD. T3 comes with hudy spring steel ones for the front and black aluminium for the rear.
Differential is also different. Plastic outdrives, disk shapes etc are different.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Also, if you plan to buy the ECS shafts for a T3R, you will need to either Dremel the stock caster blocks, or buy the new style to fit the joint.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Would a 09 or 08 t2 be better then a t3r

I plan to run a tekin rs esc and 17.5 brushless with lipos
Old 10-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slideaway
On T3R : No carbon fiber parts, only FRP (glass fiber)
No sway bar, no orange coated parts, no adjutable turnbuckle, no S.Steel drive shaft. check the Xray web site for the exact list.

But honestly, if you really want to upgrade a T3R to T3 (which is of course possible), it's gonna be pricey. More than buying the T3 directly. No point...
Not so pricey if your a cheap skate like myself on a tight budget. T3R Kit new=$250.00, T3 chassis and upper deck=45.00, set of turn buckles with ball ends and balls=15.00, full set of sway bars and hdwre=19.00 and so on, all the upgrade parts were purchased second hand in exc. condition from the pull apart guys and with the release or the new T3-11 there will be many more used parts and cars available! From what I have seen most Xray owners take very good care of their cars so to me buying a used Xray product isn't much of a gamble IMHO.

Last edited by georgec; 10-19-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone tried modding a T3 to make it more 2011 spec? I mean, Smokem or Exotek chassis plate, and dual bellcrank steering from a TRF416 or TCX?

I should have a used T3 coming this week, and if the lower deck needs replacing then I'll probably get a Smokem one, and I have the steering parts from TRF416 available to me....
Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by academygaz
Has anyone tried modding a T3 to make it more 2011 spec? I mean, Smokem or Exotek chassis plate, and dual bellcrank steering from a TRF416 or TCX?

I should have a used T3 coming this week, and if the lower deck needs replacing then I'll probably get a Smokem one, and I have the steering parts from TRF416 available to me....
keep us imformed it is a cheaper option than a new T3'11
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by academygaz

This is something I'm planning to design this winter.
Also like to have the servo in the same position as Tamiya has it.

Furthermore I'm planning on making a version which uses the Tamiya suspension blocks, the way the T3 has it is an improvement, but I still think the Tamiya/TCX/Yokomo style of suspension blocks is superior.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
I still think the Tamiya/TCX/Yokomo style of suspension blocks is superior.
Please explain why?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
This is something I'm planning to design this winter.
Also like to have the servo in the same position as Tamiya has it.

Furthermore I'm planning on making a version which uses the Tamiya suspension blocks, the way the T3 has it is an improvement, but I still think the Tamiya/TCX/Yokomo style of suspension blocks is superior.
Ok , i will have contact with you

I am planning on making another chassis plate with TRF416 steering and the servo turned by 90 dergees

i think this will give the car the best of both worlds , i like the Xray suspension mounting points though so i will leave those alone
Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Please explain why?
I don't think there would be much difference performance wise, maybe the car will feel a bit more direct because of the elimination of the composite rollcentre inserts.

However I really dislike working with the system, fiddly to mount with the shims, takes more time to change rollcentre, high change of mis aligning the parts and so binding the suspension.
In the short time I owned a Serpent S400 I really started to like the suspension block system this car and the other cars mentioned are using.

It's just a personal preference, I also think it looks a lot better.

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
Ok , i will have contact with you

I am planning on making another chassis plate with TRF416 steering and the servo turned by 90 dergees

i think this will give the car the best of both worlds , i like the Xray suspension mounting points though so i will leave those alone
Ok sure, no problem.

Yes, I think this as well, I like the design of the 416/417 a lot better as the T3, but the quality and availability made me decide to run a T3.

I will start next week with converting the original T3 chassis to a cad-file.
Then I will try to acquire a 416 steering system and chassis to put those into cad as well.

I'm also planning on doing a lot of calculations regarding the car's flex.
First with the original chassis and how far it's off regarding symmetrical flex.
I'm guessing the methods used by most factories are pretty crude simply because the software packages to do these kind of calculations are hugely expensive.

At first I will work on a chassis with the 416 steering setup and original suspension mounting points.
If I'm pleased with the results and there is enough interest I will look into a limited production of the chassis.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

what mah and c rating battery's are best to run in a T3 in stock 17.5 BL class
Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I like a Thunderpower 5000 mAh 40C 2S for all of my 17.5 needs......

Also, with the 2 corner battery mounts (small black plastic pieces) a TP 5000 fits perfectly.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

what mah and c rating battery's are best to run in a T3 in stock 17.5 BL class
The SMC 5200mah 50c CMAX is a great battery and fits nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.