Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by rgirocz28
If you are talking about the HPI104815 (or similar) driver set, I just use ShoeGoo. I glue the head to the roof and the little front tab under the windshield. Works like a charm
yep. this way you dont have the driver figure in the way when you work on the car
Old 11-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
A short 5 minute main? And an amazing consistency in driving regardless of this, wheels or motors.
That's exactly what I see too. Appears that #3 was the best combination
Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone run the J-71 and compare it to the newer protoform VTA shells handling wise?
Old 11-29-2017, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

You know, I just love the Tamiya Mini Chassis (M03, M05, M-04, M06, etc)....and I wish I could race them again, as my local track has gone to the Traxxas Latrax Rally Cars as their spec Mini car of choice....why on Earth, I have no clue..(I refuse to buy one)...

Anyway, back to my point...I was reading some of the history of the Original Trans Am Series, and I learned 2 things, 1)The first race was in 1966 and was won by a Dodge Dart, and 2) the "under 2-liter class" ran at the same time with the V8 cars.

The under 2 liter cars, were
Alfa Romeo GTA
Ford Cortina Lotus
BMW 1800TI & 1800 TISA (looks like the old 2002)
BMC Cooper S (Mini Cooper)
Volvo 122S
Fiat Abarth 1000 TC

not to mention, one of my favorites, the Datsun 510 in the 68/69 years...

Most of these Bodies are available for the M-Chassis cars.... and I would love to run these in VTA....along with the Mustangs, Camaros, Trans-ams, etc...

thoughts?
Raman, kwiksi and RotorTruck like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syxxstring
Anyone run the J-71 and compare it to the newer protoform VTA shells handling wise?
There is ZERO difference in the handling of any of the bodies. That is one of the great things about this class. Pick a style you like and go with it. There are options for just about every American Miscle guy out there.

The only difference that MIGHT be noticeable to good drivers is the weight. Some are lighter than others. This allows for more weight to be put lower on the chassis for a lower CG. Again this is a big MIGHT, and only to drivers that are very consistent.

I don’t mean this to be rude, but if you are asking what is the “best” for anything (bodies, motor, ESC, battery, chassis) in USVTA then you are missing the point of the class. Yes everyone wants to have a fast, well handling car and be a winner. But if you are wanting to race for the win with “the best” equipment out there, then that is not what USVTA Racing is about.

Last edited by theproffesor; 11-29-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor

I don’t mean this to be rude, but if you are asking what is the “best” for anything (bodies, motor, ESC, battery, chassis) in USVTA then you are missing the point of the class. Yes everyone wants to have a fast food handling car and be a winner. But if you are wanting to race for the win with “the best” equipment out there, then that is not what USVTA Racing is about.
OH really??? then why the hell are people using Awesomatix chassis (and the like) in VTA??? ARC, Schumacher, AE TC7, XRAY T4 '17.....should be banned then right? agreed!

What you're saying is VTA should be a TUB Chassis only class am I right?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TENCHO
OH really??? then why the hell are people using Awesomatix chassis (and the like) in VTA??? ARC, Schumacher, AE TC7, XRAY T4 '17.....should be banned then right? agreed!

What you're saying is VTA should be a TUB Chassis only class am I right?
no.... as far as chassis is concern. Any chassis will perform and win giving the chance. You cant limit chassis cause some of the older chassis are not around or no longer parts ready.

I have my fav like my TC3, but I dont run it cause Ive run out of parts, and when I do find them people ask way to much, cause they know you need them.

What everyone has to remember is yes VTA is fun,fair,cool, and all the "things" we have labeled it...but lets not forget its still RACING. No matter the speeds body esc servo motor rules ect, its a racing class where guys race and compete for all sorts of rewards, incl trophy money bragging rights or personal gain.

Right now VTA is a great class to be in for multiple reasons....and I really believe if given the chance we will see this class expand even farther than ever before.

#USVTANation #USVTA4life
Boomer, iadevil and scirocco14 like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Hey, Bronson....
Whats is "a fast food handling car"??!!
Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Does it demand $15 per hour for an entry-level position.....
Hey, you might have hit on something here!!
Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
with HPI getting back in the game, I can only imagine the class growing even more...more bodies and tire/rim choices.

I highly doubt the rules will go to a single tire or rim company, even if HPI doesn't produce any new tires/rims, there are still plenty of racers with these brand of tires. I cant see the USVTA dumping on them cause they have these.

Time will tell and as long as we keep supporting the USVTA classes, more things will come. The RC companies are watching and making VTA a class with the most in bodies and options.

in the mean time....

#USVTANation
Originally Posted by scirocco14
Myron, you know how much I love USVTA.

But, on our outdoor asphalt track (untreated) the HPI tires are 0.5s faster per lap. The new guys can't find HPI tires (easily) and the hobby shop carries the PF tires. So they are getting discouraged because they know right off the bat they can't win.

As long as one guy still has/runs HPI tires, the rest of us who want to be competitive have to follow suit.

What do we do?

MC
Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
Well I think you should hope that HPI gets their stuff together and produces what they used to. Maybe the competition will make cheaper prices . Yeah that really doesn't happen
Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
I do hope that HPI gets their tires and bodies back in production. the Tires will make the asphalt guys keep racing .
we all seem to want different things...but here is my honest advise. Run your tires/rims for club races ect. If you are having a local trophy of points series, make exceptions....If one guy has a set of HPI's, and you guys truly believe they are faster, ask him not to run them for the event/series races. If he doesnt have the funds for purchase, loan or give him a set. I do it all the time.

Now if the majority have HPI's then reverse the situation. Loan the one or two guys a set of HPI's.....its club racing and you need to help each other to be on the same page.

I have both, and I have not seen a difference in them other than the PF last a lot longer. I have a set of PF that would be killer on asphalt. And the only secret to them was SXT and running them...nothing more nothing less.

We have to work together at the local and regional level. That way we are more prepared at the National level. Run either or both, but if you have that one odd situation, help each other by letting them try the other brand.
robk, Boomer, NutDriver and 1 others like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With the USVTA announcement about tires, our local track has decided to follow it and only PF tires will be allowed after 1/1/2018.

Problem solved. It makes sense for this track since it also has a hobby shop attached to it and has only been able to get the PF tires, and that's what the new guys have.

MC
Boomer likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Why are poeple running very high end chassis? Cause MERICA that’s why. I wasn’t saying I don’t want those chassis in the class, I run a TC7.1 myself (which is actually just about the lowest priced “modern” full race chassis out there). And like I also said this is racing and everyone wants the win.

I know and am friends with guys that have these super high end chassis. After they got everything they could out of there previous cars because they are that good. They really could run circles around most everyone with a Losi street weapon or HPI RS4. They enjoy VTA over other classes and want to see what that can get out of it. But they aren’t worried about “the best handling” body or batteries. Hell one of them still uses a duratrax charger and 5000mah pack with deans plugs and a HW JUSTSTOCK ESC.

What I was trying to get at with my statement was that when people are looking at VTA for the first time or are still new to it and are aiming for .2 seconds per lap from a body with more steering, only painting one translucent coat on a body to keep it light, or the difference between HPI and PF tires, dropping nearly $1k on a chassis, $200 on a motor, 70amp charging on batteries, etc., to race the absolute slowest class on the track right now seems counter to what the spirit of this class is supposed to be.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
If one guy has a set of HPI's, and you guys truly believe they are faster, ask him not to run them for the event/series races. If he doesnt have the funds for purchase, loan or give him a set. I do it all the time.

Now if the majority have HPI's then reverse the situation. Loan the one or two guys a set of HPI's.....its club racing and you need to help each other to be on the same page. Run either or both, but if you have that one odd situation, help each other by letting them try the other brand.
I wanted to repeat Darkside's post because it not only makes sense, but also reflects the true spirit of VTA racers. We should all be like this!
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14
With the USVTA announcement about tires, our local track has decided to follow it and only PF tires will be allowed after 1/1/2018.

Problem solved. It makes sense for this track since it also has a hobby shop attached to it and has only been able to get the PF tires, and that's what the new guys have.

MC
Our local track needs to do something like this. The difference is real. Who knows if HPI will even be able to sustain availability for any given amount of time.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Our track stopped racing VTA about a year ago due to lack of the HPI tires. It was sad to see it go since it was always so fun. They added a Scale GT class that is neither USGT or USVTA but a real simple class. The rules are very loose but similar to USGT except the tires can be anything rubber on a spoked rim. The motor needs to be any 25.5, and the body should be anything but a TC or "Bubble" body. This allowed anybody with an older VTA, USGT, or really anything to race in the class. I particularly enjoy the "realistic" looking bodies. I have a USVTA car that is per USVTA rules and still love to run it. I also built a Scale GT car out of an old TC6 chassis I had and added a 25.5 motor I got on Ebay for $50. I run it with a bunch of old and cheap parts and electronics just to have something else to play with. However the cars, both VTA and USGT, with better rubber slicks are faster overall so when the majority has Scale GT cars I run that, but when its VTA I run that. If my goal is to win I run the fastest car I have. If my goal is to have fun (which it usually is) then I run what the pack has.

The long winded point is that I will run whatever the majority is running. I still have two sets of new HPI tires in a bag that I was hoping for a return to a USVTA specific class. If such a class was re-instated at my track I would think allowing only the new PF tires would be fine since its what the shop has and everybody can get them. I also love the idea of only one tire choice in any spec class and wish they all would have a spec tire. It takes the guesswork and expense out of the equation for the casual "retail" racer.
NutDriver likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.