Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 1/8. Now or later??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Electric 1/8. Now or later??

I'd like to get an electric eighth scale buggy to race at my local track. Whatever I settle on getting, I wont be able to run it until the spring. I was wondering if you think that the buggies that have been converted will be outdated once the manufacturers start releasing their on electric eighth scales?

I guess I'm just indecisive because there are so many good deals on rollers right now. So what do you think, pick up a Mugen or Kyosho roller (my choice)now at a good price and covert it throughout the winter, or wait and see what the companies are putting out then?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I don't think it matters much. Other than Losi, nobody will have a factory built buggy ready for next spring. Mugen (good choice) and Kyosho certainly will not. There aren't any new motor or ESC setups on the horizon either. Get yourself a conversion kit from RC Product Designs when you are ready:
http://www.rcproductdesigns.com/
Old 11-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lol, no one, anyone, everyone, never, always, things you shouldn't say on the internet.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...3-oh-shit.html
Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The future is now.
http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=5034
Old 11-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you can't even drive it till next spring, it may make more sense to wait.(I'd hate to stare at a car you can't drive for 6 months!) But if you have any opportunity to use it now, or just get used to it in time for the race season, don't waste any time!.... live in the now!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Here's a personal story. I bought a Losi 8ight buggy in hopes to convert it to brushless. I was willing to spend the $1000+ to get everything needed, but I was held back originally by waiting for Mamba Monster to come out. When it did, it had problems, so I was waiting for those to be fixed. And so on and so forth. In other words, the lack of a good reliable and proven 1/8 scale ESC made me wait for over a year.

In that time, the 8ight 2.0 came out. I was lucky I could sell the 8ight 1.0 for the same price I paid for it originally ($350). I'll wait until everything is ready before buying stuff now.

So yeah, if you're not planning to use something, don't buy it now, but wait. In 6 months, you never know what'll happen and prices will likely drop. This industry's always evolving, just like the PC industry (just not as fast).

P.S. Now I'm wait for 8ight 2.0 to come in Kit form before considering (trying to) get into electric 1/8 again. Looks like that might never happen, though, but I'll still never buy a race roller. I wanna put the thing together myself.