Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Electric 1/8. Now or later?? >

Electric 1/8. Now or later??

Electric 1/8. Now or later??


Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
Momo5's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Farmington, MO
Posts: 850
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Electric 1/8. Now or later??

I'd like to get an electric eighth scale buggy to race at my local track. Whatever I settle on getting, I wont be able to run it until the spring. I was wondering if you think that the buggies that have been converted will be outdated once the manufacturers start releasing their on electric eighth scales?

I guess I'm just indecisive because there are so many good deals on rollers right now. So what do you think, pick up a Mugen or Kyosho roller (my choice)now at a good price and covert it throughout the winter, or wait and see what the companies are putting out then?
Momo5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (93)
happywing's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 997
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I don't think it matters much. Other than Losi, nobody will have a factory built buggy ready for next spring. Mugen (good choice) and Kyosho certainly will not. There aren't any new motor or ESC setups on the horizon either. Get yourself a conversion kit from RC Product Designs when you are ready:
happywing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
skypilot's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,527
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lol, no one, anyone, everyone, never, always, things you shouldn't say on the internet.

skypilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite
iTrader: (54)
portyansky's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,001
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The future is now.
portyansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
R40Victim's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: N.W. FL___L.A.___Lower Alabama
Posts: 7,827
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you can't even drive it till next spring, it may make more sense to wait.(I'd hate to stare at a car you can't drive for 6 months!) But if you have any opportunity to use it now, or just get used to it in time for the race season, don't waste any time!.... live in the now!
R40Victim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 265

Here's a personal story. I bought a Losi 8ight buggy in hopes to convert it to brushless. I was willing to spend the $1000+ to get everything needed, but I was held back originally by waiting for Mamba Monster to come out. When it did, it had problems, so I was waiting for those to be fixed. And so on and so forth. In other words, the lack of a good reliable and proven 1/8 scale ESC made me wait for over a year.

In that time, the 8ight 2.0 came out. I was lucky I could sell the 8ight 1.0 for the same price I paid for it originally ($350). I'll wait until everything is ready before buying stuff now.

So yeah, if you're not planning to use something, don't buy it now, but wait. In 6 months, you never know what'll happen and prices will likely drop. This industry's always evolving, just like the PC industry (just not as fast).

P.S. Now I'm wait for 8ight 2.0 to come in Kit form before considering (trying to) get into electric 1/8 again. Looks like that might never happen, though, but I'll still never buy a race roller. I wanna put the thing together myself.
shurcooL is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service