Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default RCMANIAX Spool

That spool looks outstanding and the weight really low!!

At the Carpet World Cup in Geneva I tried two different spools, one really light weight and one heavy, the light weight one gave me more steering and faster laptimes!!

The HPI Spool is also aluminum and with the right grease it will last a long time!! Just make sure to clean and relube frequently and it will be no problem....
Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 AM
JP
Tech Initiate

Why not ask them to make the axle slots just a little wider so we could use Corally blades. They fit right on and would work great.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by JP
Why not ask them to make the axle slots just a little wider so we could use Corally blades. They fit right on and would work great.
good idea! no problem to implement that...!
do they fit on the trf axles? how thick are they?
thx
frank
Old 04-08-2005, 01:31 AM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

quick help: what's the size of the diff balls? thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 01:42 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@ rcmaniax
Yes from all existing blades the Corally ones fit the best on Tamiya driveshafts. Thickness is 3mm.

Are you coming to the Konstanz race this weekend? I can show you the Corally blades. They will go into my 415 for the Jürgen aluminium rear diff.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:44 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by KoE
quick help: what's the size of the diff balls? thanks
3mm
Old 04-08-2005, 01:49 AM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i've tried those corally blades on the outdrives and found 'em slightly over-sized to fit in snuggly. do i have to trim some material off?

thanks for the ball diff's size tho!
Old 04-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

Would anyone happen to know where I can get Rheinhards setup sheet from this past worlds down in kissimee? Thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm afraid to say that you won't find it....
Marc hardly ever notes down his setup, and given the number of non-tamiya parts he was running, i doubt tamiya would let him either.
I did try and do a best guess from pictures of the car, but given that it's impossible to see some parts of the car (f/r suspension block for example), and to figure out what angles are being run (toe, castor, camber, even droop), it missing a few vital details.
Also, unable to tell what was being run inside the shocks with regard to oil/pistons.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Isn't it also true that he didn't even set up his own car...he had mechanic from Tamiya do it? I think I read that he would run the car and tell the mechanic that he needs more steering or if it was loose and the mechanic would correct for it and not necessarily tell Marc what was done.

Just out of curosity, what patrs on the car were not from Tamiya?

Thanks

Originally posted by TryHard
I'm afraid to say that you won't find it....
Marc hardly ever notes down his setup, and given the number of non-tamiya parts he was running, i doubt tamiya would let him either.
I did try and do a best guess from pictures of the car, but given that it's impossible to see some parts of the car (f/r suspension block for example), and to figure out what angles are being run (toe, castor, camber, even droop), it missing a few vital details.
Also, unable to tell what was being run inside the shocks with regard to oil/pistons.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats apparently very true...

From what I heard, parts that weren't tamiya...

HPI: 0deg rear hubs, Silver springs
Alex racing: Gold Shock shafts, roll bars, and some internal shock components (bladders I think)
Also the TiR Spool

Admitadlly not as bad as some competitiors may have been, but still enough parts to possibly question the performance of tamiyas own stuff (in the eyes of some consumers maybe)

Actually I've just been studying the pics of the car closely again (got some good high res piccys), and theres a few interesting things on there.

Ie, only 1mm of shim under the front camber link, and 2 under the rear (compared to 4 and 1 on the stock lwt suspension), also the rear link is on the innermost hole on the rear hubs (the HPI ones are very similar to the tamiya ones)

Also shock positions are quite laid down (hole 1 on the front and 3 on the rear), and it looks like quite a lot of droop was run, as there is a fair amount of screw protruding from the top of the wishbones....

On another point, I have a suspescion that the car had 35wt oil in the front shocks, with 40wt in the rear as there is faded writing with these numbers on the relative shocks.

Still, I guess this is something we may never know for sure, shame.

Last edited by TryHard; 04-08-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TryHard
Thats apparently very true...

From what I heard, parts that weren't tamiya...

HPI: 0deg rear hubs, Silver springs
Alex racing: Gold Shock shafts, roll bars, and some internal shock components (bladders I think)
Also the TiR Spool

Admitadlly not as bad as some competitiors may have been, but still enough parts to possibly question the performance of tamiyas own stuff (in the eyes of some consumers maybe)

Actually I've just been studying the pics of the car closely again (got some good high res piccys), and theres a few interesting things on there.

Ie, only 1mm of shim under the front camber link, and 2 under the rear (compared to 4 and 1 on the stock lwt suspension), also the rear link is on the innermost hole on the rear hubs (the HPI ones are very similar to the tamiya ones)

Also shock positions are quite laid down (hole 1 on the front and 3 on the rear), and it looks like quite a lot of droop was run, as there is a fair amount of screw protruding from the top of the wishbones....

On another point, I have a suspescion that the car had 35wt oil in the front shocks, with 40wt in the rear as there is faded writing with these numbers on the relative shocks.

Still, I guess this is something we may never know for sure, shame.
Cool...thanks!!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: RCMANIAX Spool

Originally posted by Eirik
That spool looks outstanding and the weight really low!!

At the Carpet World Cup in Geneva I tried two different spools, one really light weight and one heavy, the light weight one gave me more steering and faster laptimes!!

The HPI Spool is also aluminum and with the right grease it will last a long time!! Just make sure to clean and relube frequently and it will be no problem....
Well, I have made 3 spools so far:

The first one is basically a locked one-way similar to the tamiyaUSA spools that were made last year. I used the short style outdrives from the LW kit. It weighs .9oz/23grams.

The other two are locked yokomo diffs using double-sided sandpaper instead of diff rings, with no balls or thrust bearing. The steel weighs 1.1oz/29grams, while the plastic one is a very light .4oz/12grams! I will probably not use the steel one, because it is heavier than the locked one way, and does not have a tight tolerance on the driveshaft pin.
I actually think that a plastic yokomo diff may work well, even in mod, because it is pretty stiff in construction. It is also narrow (like the LW sus one-way), so it gives less of a driveshaft angle at full lock, which should reduce cvd chatter.

Fernando has one of the spools like Marc used at the worlds, and the white outdrives are actually very flexible---comparable to nylon. They are not the high quality of delrin that we are used to seeing in the tamiya diffs. I am going to test the plastic yokomo spool tomorrow, with modifieds.

Originally posted by rcmaniax
good idea! no problem to implement that...!
do they fit on the trf axles? how thick are they?
thx
frank
Maybe you should contact TamiyaUSA and see if they will promote your spool on their TRF Race Center page.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: RCMANIAX Spool

Originally posted by Arun
Maybe you should contact TamiyaUSA and see if they will promote your spool on their TRF Race Center page.
We're not a big company - just 4 swiss guys producing our own parts for racers all over the world... we're only able to produce a small batch of our parts, thats why they are available only for a short time...
We're all engineers - so designing rc parts is a pleasure, if there are some good ideas please let us know. We already made some chassis design for a big rc company...

But I think tamiyaUSA is some numbers to big for us....
By the way, we just released a carbonkit for the TRF415 for a very good price

Hi from Switzerland,
RC MANIAX

Old 04-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

What parts are those besides transponderholder?
They look awsome though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.