• 1 Post By imprsme
  • 1 Post By imprsme

Smith Built Hobbies and Raceway aka The Rug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Smith Built Hobbies and Raceway aka The Rug

Hey guys, My name is Dustin but I go by Fluffy. I am the race director at The Rug in King, NC. We are a indoor facility that races 1/10th carpet oval and off road. We also have a high banked concrete tri oval that we race on during the summer! You can find us on Facebook by searching Smith Built RC Hobbies and Raceway. I'll be using this thread to keep updates for track events!
Hope to see you at the track soon!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2nd Annual Top Gun Carpet Off Road Shootout.

Follow the link
https://m.facebook.com/SBRCHobbies/ for more infor!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Fluffy "D", will you be running any sort of a regular schedule? Something out of area racers can depend on? Any on road racing besides ovals?
Anthony Tziotis likes this.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Top gun trophy race coming up for the off road guys.

Practice Jan 25
Racing Jan 26.

Come on out and try some stress free 10th scale off road racing.
King_Fluffy likes this.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
Fluffy "D", will you be running any sort of a regular schedule? Something out of area racers can depend on? Any on road racing besides ovals?
They have a regular schedule. It’s posted on the FB page also.

1st and 3rd Weekends are oval

2nd and 4th weekends are off road.

Practice on Fridays race on Sat.

As for on road. They tried on road before.

The first year it was hit or miss with turn out. Some weeks were 10-15 entries some weeks were 3-5.

It just has never taken off in that area.

Oval and off road were the two biggest draws so that’s what they run.

Hope that helps
King_Fluffy likes this.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 PM
Tech Rookie

On road was never really big for us honestly. It was truly hit or miss. Oval and off road has always been our best crowds. We had many times were we sat up the road course, to only have a couple show up on race day, and just had to have a practice day. We do have a normal schedule we run. Check us out on Facebook at https://.facebook.com/SBRCHobbies/
As mentioned before, our 2nd Annual Top Gun Carpet Off Road Shootout is coming up next week. If you are in the area stop by and check out the track! Sorry for the delayed reply!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have visited there a couple of years ago for one of Mark C's winter series races. It appears to be a good facility except for the seriously dis organized parking and the utter disregard (at least that day) for handicap spot use. I don't drink the social media kool-aid so it is great that you are attempting to broaden your horizons by posting here. I am not an off-road guy but I will be happy to steer any seeking that form of racing from our area toward you if you would do the same for on-roaders in your area to visit Kannapolis Raceway Park.

Good luck for the coming season.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

I have visited there a couple of years ago for one of Mark C's winter series races. It appears to be a good facility except for the seriously dis organized parking and the utter disregard (at least that day) for handicap spot use. I don't drink the social media kool-aid so it is great that you are attempting to broaden your horizons by posting here. I am not an off-road guy but I will be happy to steer any seeking that form of racing from our area toward you if you would do the same for on-roaders in your area to visit Kannapolis Raceway Park.

Good luck for the coming season.
We appreciate you coming and racing with us, hopefully we will see you back one day! Our parking lot can be a challenge when we have a larger crowd. We have been think of taking another stab at on road this up coming year. We will see what the future brings! We are always happy to help find someone a place to race, weather with us, or with another track!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2nd Annual Top Gun Carpet Off Road Shootout

We would like to thank everyone that came out and joined us for our 2nd Annual Top Gun Carpet Off Road Shootout. We had a record crowd for our facility with 104 entries, 19 heats, and 18 mains! Head over to https://m.facebook.com/SBRCHobbies/ for our results, podium, and race pictures!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey King Fluffy,
What are you practice times? Cost? Rules? I am new the RC Scene... just looking around to see what all will be my wheelhouse. I live in Charlotte, so King is a drive, but running on a track will be something new and am always looking to see where my interest in the hobby will lie. I saw your calendar on the FB page, but I haven't quite picked up the lingo and such. Your pictures from the Top Gun event looks like everyone runs buggies. I also see there's a 'run what you brung' class although again it looks like most are using buggies unless ive got the pictures mixed up. Are there different formats/classes? Is there a website that has a little more full information on the racing that I can go to or is everything just FB? I have a mostly stock brushless 2wd slash (just upgraded shocks after I blew out the stock ones)... Is run what you brung the only class I would qualify for at the moment?

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey King,
I have done a little more digging and have found the answer to most of my questions. The only ones still outstanding are about the practices.... What are your rules for practice? Any cost to use the track? Is there a membership component to the tracks?

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TarheelGrey
Hey King,
I have done a little more digging and have found the answer to most of my questions. The only ones still outstanding are about the practices.... What are your rules for practice? Any cost to use the track? Is there a membership component to the tracks?

Thanks again.
Sorry for such a late reply!
We currently run a novice class, 2wd 17.5 buggy, 2wd open mod buggy, 4wd open mod buggy, and 2wd open mod Stadium truck. Even though novice class is kind of a "run what you brung" kind of class, pretty much everyone is using a 2wd buggy at the moment, which would be the class they would move to next after they get comfortable and faster.
Our practice days are pretty much a open practice. We ask that you use a charging bag for your lipos.
We do only allow 2 traction compounds in the building which is SXT 3.0 and JDubz. You can use any of the 3 SXT 3.0 which is the lite, regular, and Max. Our off road guys like the SXT 3.0 Max which is marked on the top of the bottle with a red dot. There is a cost of $10 for practice days. Our race fees are $25 for your first class, $15 for the second, and $10 for the third class. At the current time we do not have any kind of membership requirements. We are racing off road this weekend. We have practice Friday night 3pm to 10pm, Saturday doors open at 8am, racing starts at 11am. If you haven't already, head over to rcscoringpro.com to make an account to help keep up with your practice times, and check out what laps other racers are running, check heat sheets, and watch live streaming from the track when we get our camera set up. The fastest way to get in touch with us with any questions would be Facebook!