Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MRX-4

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Corse-R
Today I've been at my local track and faced a very strange thing with my 4-R, here's the scenario:

- Mugen Dome body (Kyosho one), gurney flap at 3mm over the body.
- 1degree toe-out front.
- 2.5 degrees camber at Front and 3 at rear.
- White spring with #600 oil (F/R).
- 2 degree toe-in at rear.
- Long rear upper a-arm
- Shocks at their stock positions
- 1mm shim at the rear uprights.
- Front roll bar at around 40º
- Rear roll stock with 3mm of hang over the balls (stock setup).
- A ackerman.
- 35 shore all around.

Car has a massive understeer coming out the turns and feels too nervous on entering the turns.

Solved it partially giving it more caster (in fact I have only the 1mm shim at rear of the a-arm) but spanks the front tyres giving me a pretty inner lip the outer side is almost brand new.

Could not test this morning but wanting tomorrow to test:
- B Ackerman.
- Giving less camber at the fronts
- Go to med rear a-arm.
- Red springs at rear

Suggestions please? Track is big and flowing, gear ratio is 17/49 and 21/45. Only two hairpins the rest are flowing turns.
Try the B ackerman, and the short rear upper arms,as well as two shims in the rear uprights.
are you using the 4.5mm roll center block or the 5.5mm??
try the 4.5mm one.
it seems you have way too much camber in the front, use only 0.5 -1.00.
good luck!!
Old 08-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Try a Lola body. More forgivig than a Dome. Ride height could be to high in front and flaten the front sway bar.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Jake, Akshun: The problem was solved, was a miss chossing the tyre split the culprit of the oversteer. With 7 milimeter of split, everything is fine.

Akshun: I need such quantity of camber, if not, the front tyres hook-up too much during cornering and you can do a pretty much big flip (but going to reduce them to 2 degree the next time). On my track, you spend a lot of time in serious cornering. The most by far tyre who suffers is the rear right tyre, choosing a shore higher is common to compensate the massive wear who suffers that tyre. The next is the front right.

When grip goes up (and we've seen some nice traction rolls with 1/8 cars), is normal to put 37's on the outer (right) and 35's on the inner side (left).
Old 08-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

I hear ya corse, on my track, we also have uncontrollable wear on the right rear.
have you tried using your font sway bar to eliminate some of the tight cornering.
also , sounds like you guys have lots of traction, what about trying the short wheelbase set-up??
good luck!!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AKSHUN
I hear ya corse, on my track, we also have uncontrollable wear on the right rear.
have you tried using your font sway bar to eliminate some of the tight cornering.
also , sounds like you guys have lots of traction, what about trying the short wheelbase set-up??
good luck!!
Steve,

Looking at my car from the rear, the left rear always wears more. I had a 2mm difference after last weeks Can-Am 30 minute main. Same on the front.... just about a 1mm difference though.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Corey, the slower cars always wear on the left side.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Or maybe is that a Metric left vs. American left??? Low blow ....... but I'll be nipping at your heels after the next club race.

I have a real good story for you at the track next time- from the Can-Am race. It's a similiar situation to a particular person in our heat at the GLC.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

It's go time!!
see ya at the next race
Old 08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What does changing the rear upper link do if you put on the short, med, or long?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default cleaning the standard mrx4 rubber bearings...

heys guys
how often do you guys clean your bearings ?

I race on a very clean track but sometimes i go into the grass infield haha.

also, i have never cleaned rubber bearings so how do you go about doing this ? thank you
Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrgsr
heys guys

also, i have never cleaned rubber bearings so how do you go about doing this ? thank you
At least before a big race, a complete teardown and cleaning of the bearings is mandatory... meanwhile after 3 or 4 times I'll go to the track for practice, the bearings are completely cleaned, each time the car touches the track and leaves, a cleaning with compressed air (trackside) and serpent putty (homeside) is what I do, then... a dab of oil on the needed places and until the next time.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mrgsr
heys guys

You can peel off the seals with thick needle. Insert the needle from inside hole section and peel it off. Need sometime to practice.

You can use WD40 to spray and soak the bearings ( 30 minutes ). Shake them and spray again until you think is clean. You can spray with motor cleaner or soak them with nitro fuel for finishing touch.

Tamiya ceramic grease is the best lubricant for bearings. Fill it until max and close the seals.

I do this every 4 race meetings.

Main Pulley Shaft Bearings and Rear Diff Bearings need early maintenance maybe every 2 race meetings.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I use an Indy sparkle(integy) or a small jewlery cleaner(ultra sonic) and parts washing fluid from an auto parts store. You can also round the tip of a hobbie knife blade to remove the rubber seals. Metal shielded require a little more effort. Look at the outside edge of the sheild and you can see the about half of the clip. Follow this around until you see the gap. Look at the ends of the clip and one end will be angled so that you can get a stick pin behind its edge. Dont stab your self and be gentle so you dont send the clip flying. I remove all the grease clean and lightly reOIL. Running on clean tracks I'll do this every two to three races.

Last edited by MugenDrew; 09-07-2006 at 10:21 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Default Compressed Air

I usually blast my bearings bone dry with nitro blast and then give them a drop, and I mean one drop of trinity bearing oil. As with anything else, you have to do what you feel is best for you. One thing is for sure, you must be careful when using a compressor to blow off your car, I try not to blow in the direction of my hubs/uprights. This will only blow more dirt and grit into the bearings. Other bearings are for the most part pretty well hidden, but those I mentioned are exposed.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Don't use nitro clean or WD40 on bearings, it will remove the grease from the bearings which is very importent.

Use proper bearing grease, not ARO or WD40 or Nitro clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.