Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 AM
oME
Tech Apprentice

Default ta05

What is the weight of the box stock ta05?
What hop ups do i need to make the car perform if we will only use a silver can on it and TEU 101BK.??????

THANKS GUYS
Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by aussierevo
I have just installed a front spool, and while taking it for a spin, I get no more then 5 ft and turn either left or right, and the front dogbones pop out. With both the standard and front one way diff, the standard dogbones have not been a problem, but I'm buggered why they keep popping out with the spool now.

I've tried with and without the shims, but no change.

what have I missed, any tips to fix this problem
2 points here...

1) the outdrives on the spool may be shorter, allowing the dogbones to fall out when the steering is on lock (and on power steering)

2) In any case I would only use the the dogbones with a diff, because they are smoother and will not bind, even possibly giving a feeling of understeer when they will not turn very well on lock-

The fact is that they are a very crude and basic driveshaft that cost a few pence to manufacture.... Hardly something you would use with "racing" designed transmission components such as a spool or a one way differential. the ta05 is a great car no doubt about it, but it is not a TRF (Tamiya RACING factory) chassis, so the design concept of the transmission will not be as advanced as the TRF "race" cars.

hth
Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pug 205 gti
I see your from the uk.where do you race and on what suface, tires etc?
As i dont actually own a TA05 at the moment i wonder if could share some of your infinite wisdom regarding the chassis and other compatible components.
Firstly is it possible to fit TRF 415 diffs ?.
The TRF415 MSX centre direct centre shaft 3454395 ?.
Or convert it to the big pulley style of the TRF501x,as used on the TRF416 ?.
BIG pulley conversion sounds to be an interesting option wouldnt you think?
thanks
I race in the south, Eastbourne outdoor, Adur (indoor) and occasionally Horsham, indoors.

Eastbourne I have not raced at since oct/nov as its been too cold but for tyres, I have used sorex 28 in the summer, they are good for a month + of weekly club racing, at the moment Vtech 24 and sorex 24 are better to keep the traction up on the colder track temperatures.

adur indoors ran a spec tyre, the sorex 24 and I finished 3rd overall in stock, 2 points behind 2nd, despite missing one round and a bad meeting winning the B final. I actually set the 3rd fastest ever time on tyres that had seen 2 hours racing

Horsham is a unique club, in the respect that it runs 3 minute races and you can use foams or rubber in stock, rubber only for 13.5.

I prefer foams as they grip better, but using rubber on friday night the sorex 24 gave me a good laptime, but not being used to an indoor track, getting past the slower cars on a narrow track, or getting enough low speed steering (springs not soft enough) I couldnt get any consistancy.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

as for diffs etc...

I would be careful with trying to use the 415 diffs as they may use different outdrive bearings (and therefore may not fit into the eccentric ta05 gearbox housing adaptors) remember the ta05 is not a trf designed car so it is not likely it will share the same diff output bearing size as the trf series cars.

If the 415 diffs do fit you will then you may need to use the 415 centre pulleys too.

in all honesty, ive not tried 415 diffs or big pulleys
Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks tc3....i've pulled out the front spool, and the outdrives are a fraction smaller, so that appears to be the problem.

I'm just running a standard TA05 and the front spool was for the TA05, so could the problem of the dogbones popping out be fixed by universal's...if so, what size would be required for the TA05...would the 46mm be right?.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Champion

thanks tc3....i've pulled out the front spool, and the outdrives are a fraction smaller, so that appears to be the problem.

I'm just running a standard TA05 and the front spool was for the TA05, so could the problem of the dogbones popping out be fixed by universal's...if so, what size would be required for the TA05...would the 46mm be right?.
bingo, you've got it, I have the very ones in the link below fitted to my ta05, with a spool.

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Tamiya-...-p/ta53847.htm

don't bother with the trf blue ones, they'll twist and or snap after a little while as they are a different material...
Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks for your advice tc3......much appreciated...will give that a go
Old 03-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Last edited by Speedo; 03-17-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spam removed
Old 03-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the reason why your dogbones pop out on the spool (inside wheel) is that you are running a solid axle and the dogbones have to much side float. So when you pull on the steering lock, the driveshaft is pushed out of the spools drivecup, the reason why it don't happen in the one-way, is that although it is a fixed axle, the one-way bearing gives a little rotational speed difference for the two wheels and hence no pop-out.

If you want to run 415 diffs, go buy the wide pulley diffs for the TA05, they are the same as the 415, then you still have to buy the correct diff outdrives if you want to ditch the plastic ones.

re: diff output bearings, they are 15x10 on both cars.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
If you want to run 415 diffs, go buy the wide pulley diffs for the TA05, they are the same as the 415, then you still have to buy the correct diff outdrives if you want to ditch the plastic ones.

re: diff output bearings, they are 15x10 on both cars.
Cheers fella, I stand corrected

Its the 416 hub bearings that I knew had changed over to a different size from the 415 versions, I'll blame the monday morning blues for that
Old 03-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

thanks for your advice tc3......much appreciated...will give that a go
no problem, just make sure you use a tiny bit of thread lock on the driveshaft grub screws and minimal anti wear grease on the driveshaft knuckle.

Your driveshaft should then stay in one piece (always useful ) and it will not wear out as quickly.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 AM
oME
Tech Apprentice

Default ta05 set up

What is the best set up if the rules of the race for ta05 is the tub must be plastic, you may only use teu 101 bk, you may only use a lightly tuned motor, you may only use a 24mm racing slick wheels, and you may use all the available hop ups???

Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by best of blue
Thanks for the info. I might consider buying a TA-05R, but again I believe that the pinion gears not included.
can anyone have suggestion of what gearing i should buy and what is the good ESC for a high speed motor? (Im not into brushless)
Thanks!
Can anyone give advice on what pinion gear should i buy to much up my TA-05R?
Many thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Depends on what pitch you are using, what motor you use, and what kind of tire as well.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

what is the goodness of IFS front suspension type??? is it gives a better handling???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.