Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duratrax Ice givving Electric shock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default Duratrax Ice givving Electric shock!

Has anyone had a tingle from their Duratrax Ice charger?

From 2 spots on the Charger
1. Screws that hold it together or
2. the Charge leads

Mainly when the charger is not charging.

Its like not going to kill me or anything but its definatly a tingle and i have been feeling it almost every day.

Mainly on tips of fingers (more sensitive i supose)

also i am using a Novak Black box Power Supply 9amp
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Are they grounded?
It's sounds like you might be providing ground with your body.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you need to run a wire from one of the points you mention onto the ground or a radiator or something similar. it will take the buildup harmlessly into the ground. then no more tingling
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

has any1 ever had this b4.....i havent thats 4 sure....

i think ur ICE is just tryin 2 b diferent :P
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My Ice gave me a shock once... I was charging a LiPO pack, since I was concerned about the danger of LiPO fire, I decided to charge the pack in the safest place I could think of... the porcelain bathtub in my house. I filled the tub halfway with cold water, set everything in the tub and started charging. About an hour later, the tones sounded, signaling the end of the charge cycle. To be extra safe I took off all my clothes (I don't own any clothes that are certified fire-proof) and got in the tub to disconnect everything... when I grabbed the leads from the Ice I felt quite a jolt of electricity.

I sent the Ice back to Great Planes, but they "claimed" they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Great Planes products...
Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Trips
My Ice gave me a shock once... I was charging a LiPO pack, since I was concerned about the danger of LiPO fire, I decided to charge the pack in the safest place I could think of... the porcelain bathtub in my house. I filled the tub halfway with cold water, set everything in the tub and started charging. About an hour later, the tones sounded, signaling the end of the charge cycle. To be extra safe I took off all my clothes (I don't own any clothes that are certified fire-proof) and got in the tub to disconnect everything... when I grabbed the leads from the Ice I felt quite a jolt of electricity.

I sent the Ice back to Great Planes, but they "claimed" they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Great Planes products...
where did you put the charger if the bath was filled with water? when i go lipo i will charge in an ammo box like i do with ni-mh already
Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did I just read that you stood in a puddle of water and then grabbed a hold of an electrical component that was turned on?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well where did you go wrong? Maybe it was the water in the tub, and last time I checked water and electricity doesn't get along too well. I wonder why you got schocked
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Did I just read that you stood in a puddle of water and then grabbed a hold of an electrical component that was turned on?
not to mention... NAKED..
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

LMFAO!!! That is awesome! "Hello? Mr. Obvious? First time caller, long time listener... I was wondering about my charger?" LOL! Thanks Trips...

-Sean
Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

^^ for those without a sense of humor he was joking ^^

Would hate for a young kid to get on here and get the wrong idea...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
^^ for those without a sense of humor he was joking ^^

Would hate for a young kid to get on here and get the wrong idea...
yeah i guessed (no honestly i did!) but it would be quite fun to blow a lipo up in someone's bath!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LOSI123
Has anyone had a tingle from their Duratrax Ice charger?

From 2 spots on the Charger
1. Screws that hold it together or
2. the Charge leads

Mainly when the charger is not charging.

Its like not going to kill me or anything but its definatly a tingle and i have been feeling it almost every day.

Mainly on tips of fingers (more sensitive i supose)

also i am using a Novak Black box Power Supply 9amp

If the charger runs on 12V (I don't know much about them) I would suggest you try running it off a 12V battery to see if you get the same effect.

If not, it sounds as though something is wrong with your power supply.

A constant tingling is NOT static electricity, and it may only be the anodising on parts that is stopping you from getting a bigger jolt.

I would investigate ASAP before something nasty happens.

Skiddins