R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Duratrax Ice givving Electric shock! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/191353-duratrax-ice-givving-electric-shock.html)

LOSI123 11-18-2007 03:58 AM

Duratrax Ice givving Electric shock!

Has anyone had a tingle from their Duratrax Ice charger?

From 2 spots on the Charger
1. Screws that hold it together or
2. the Charge leads

Mainly when the charger is not charging.

Its like not going to kill me or anything but its definatly a tingle and i have been feeling it almost every day.

Mainly on tips of fingers (more sensitive i supose)

also i am using a Novak Black box Power Supply 9amp

gacjr0 11-18-2007 08:45 AM

Are they grounded?
It's sounds like you might be providing ground with your body.

joe of loath 11-18-2007 09:11 AM

you need to run a wire from one of the points you mention onto the ground or a radiator or something similar. it will take the buildup harmlessly into the ground. then no more tingling :D

wog....supraman 11-18-2007 09:22 AM

has any1 ever had this b4.....i havent thats 4 sure....

i think ur ICE is just tryin 2 b diferent :P

Trips 11-19-2007 11:17 AM

My Ice gave me a shock once... I was charging a LiPO pack, since I was concerned about the danger of LiPO fire, I decided to charge the pack in the safest place I could think of... the porcelain bathtub in my house. I filled the tub halfway with cold water, set everything in the tub and started charging. About an hour later, the tones sounded, signaling the end of the charge cycle. To be extra safe I took off all my clothes (I don't own any clothes that are certified fire-proof) and got in the tub to disconnect everything... when I grabbed the leads from the Ice I felt quite a jolt of electricity.

I sent the Ice back to Great Planes, but they "claimed" they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Great Planes products...

joe of loath 11-19-2007 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Trips (Post 3882899)
My Ice gave me a shock once... I was charging a LiPO pack, since I was concerned about the danger of LiPO fire, I decided to charge the pack in the safest place I could think of... the porcelain bathtub in my house. I filled the tub halfway with cold water, set everything in the tub and started charging. About an hour later, the tones sounded, signaling the end of the charge cycle. To be extra safe I took off all my clothes (I don't own any clothes that are certified fire-proof) and got in the tub to disconnect everything... when I grabbed the leads from the Ice I felt quite a jolt of electricity.

I sent the Ice back to Great Planes, but they "claimed" they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Great Planes products...

where did you put the charger if the bath was filled with water? when i go lipo i will charge in an ammo box like i do with ni-mh already :p

GreaseMonkey 11-19-2007 11:39 AM

Did I just read that you stood in a puddle of water and then grabbed a hold of an electrical component that was turned on?

carbon madness 11-19-2007 11:50 AM

Well where did you go wrong? Maybe it was the water in the tub, and last time I checked water and electricity doesn't get along too well. I wonder why you got schocked :lol::lol:

OSherman 11-19-2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey (Post 3882946)
Did I just read that you stood in a puddle of water and then grabbed a hold of an electrical component that was turned on?

not to mention... NAKED.. :lol::weird::lol:

Hustler 11-19-2007 11:54 AM

LMFAO!!! That is awesome! "Hello? Mr. Obvious? First time caller, long time listener... I was wondering about my charger?" LOL! Thanks Trips...

-Sean

or8ital 11-19-2007 12:30 PM

^^ for those without a sense of humor he was joking ^^

Would hate for a young kid to get on here and get the wrong idea...

joe of loath 11-19-2007 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by or8ital (Post 3883111)
^^ for those without a sense of humor he was joking ^^

Would hate for a young kid to get on here and get the wrong idea...

yeah i guessed :D (no honestly i did!) but it would be quite fun to blow a lipo up in someone's bath! :sneaky:

Skiddins 11-19-2007 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by LOSI123 (Post 3878181)
Has anyone had a tingle from their Duratrax Ice charger?

From 2 spots on the Charger
1. Screws that hold it together or
2. the Charge leads

Mainly when the charger is not charging.

Its like not going to kill me or anything but its definatly a tingle and i have been feeling it almost every day.

Mainly on tips of fingers (more sensitive i supose)

also i am using a Novak Black box Power Supply 9amp

If the charger runs on 12V (I don't know much about them) I would suggest you try running it off a 12V battery to see if you get the same effect.

If not, it sounds as though something is wrong with your power supply.

A constant tingling is NOT static electricity, and it may only be the anodising on parts that is stopping you from getting a bigger jolt.

I would investigate ASAP before something nasty happens.

Skiddins