Mantisworx F1 chassis!! sneek peek

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mantisworx F1 chassis!! sneek peek

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

I was thinking about just that idea yesterday! By the time I thought it through I figured the extra weight with servo, linkages etc would negate the additions few tenths on the straight.
Would look cool though
Old 05-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

weight is not critical at all, at least not that amount of weight! actually if you put the servo in a strategic location you can use it for balance. balance makes more of a difference than weight on these cars.

the front end SUCKS!! ove the next few weeks im going to come up with something, had nothing but problems with it yesterday, binding and couldnt quite get it where i wanted. i have run into this before with mini-z awd's the roll dynamics of the rear doesnt match the front, im on it!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have you looked into the 3racing front wing? I have heard it is a stiffer plastic and has some more down force over the Tamiya wings?

The quick idea I had for a DRS system on these cars I was thinking if there was a way to use magnets to open and close the wing. Some how using the current from the ESC to work the magnet so it would open when on the throttle and close off throttle? Except you would want it closed when you are on the throttle out of the corner??
Old 05-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

i have that wing ,the plastic is really soft and is more flexible than the Tamiya
Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

Im sure a thin 2mm wide carbon spar will fix that bending problem of yours. Sure as heck fixed it on a foam plane of mine.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CR0SS
Have you looked into the 3racing front wing? I have heard it is a stiffer plastic and has some more down force over the Tamiya wings?

The quick idea I had for a DRS system on these cars I was thinking if there was a way to use magnets to open and close the wing. Some how using the current from the ESC to work the magnet so it would open when on the throttle and close off throttle? Except you would want it closed when you are on the throttle out of the corner??
Why not just use an ultra micro servo from one of parkzones planes? Trust me they weigh next to nothing and can handle abuse. Linear servo too.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

any updates mantis???
Old 07-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

not really, some cool vids on my youtube channel, gonna take some on board footage this sunday. i am goign to eventually make a true front linked suspension and im really contemplating front disc brakes. we have been racing motorcycles lately and the front disc work really good. been super busy with my new website www.rcshox.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mantisworx?feature=mhum
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So are you still planning a full production f1 car with IRS ??
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

no i am not, too much drama and nobody wants to step out of the "box". it would cost too much money and more than likely i would end up sitting on them forever. so i will custom make them per order but that is it!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Unfortunately you are right Mantis when you say "nobody wants to step out of the box". There are a few of us like myself who do want to step outside the box; but there are not enough of us to make it worth your while.

It seems that most are comfortable with the solid rear axle pan car based F1 such as the Tamiya F104 and 103, the 3 Racing 109 and the HPI car, etc. They are afraid that "true scale" F1 cars with IRS, etc would be too complex and expensive. Also, the almighty ROAR doesn't approve IRS F1 cars. So I'm afraid that rc F1 design will be stuck in the same mode basically forever. It's already been almost 25 years since the Tamiya Road Wizard F1 car came out and it was based on a solid rear axle pan type design. 25 years and we haven't really advanced the design very much if you think about it. Racers will go out and spend $400-500 for a 4wd touring car, but they won't spend much over $250-290 for an F1 car. I would like to see a Super F1 class that is representative of real F1 racing, in which the cars are the most advanced rc cars out there. I know that people will post on here that no one is going to spend that kind of money on an F1 car; but my reply is: Then why are they willing to spend that and more on a 4wd touring car? What's the difference?

Having said all that; I firmly believe that even a Super F1 class would require that the cars be true F1 cars and be scale in every way: bodies, dimensions, wheels and tires. They can't be a thinly disguised pro pan car with an Associated style front suspension, and pan car wheels and tires like the current Corally F1 car. No they would still need to be true to scale in every way.

Oh well, one can still dream can't they?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

thats all we can do, my vids have proven that it does work and works well. i promise it will out perform ANY Pan f1 on asphalt (only because i have never driven on carpet)! put a 3s 17.5 on a 104 and the only thing you can run it one would be carpet and even then its marginal. all my vids are on an unprepared ashphalt track which is the worst conditions for 2wd.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

3Racing's new F1 car coming out is IRS so maybe with a "bigger name" company putting it's weight behind the concept that could help.

As for why people are more inclined to spend a lot on TC than F1...it is pretty simple really...TC is more popular and has more racers. Unfortunately F1 has always been more of a niche market than main stream. I had hoped with the increase in full sized F1 popularity in the US that this would change but so far it has not. I think another thing that really holds back the class is the bodies and wings...The wings get banged up and bent up really easily and it is a pain to constantly be replacing wings or you suffer through with a really ugly looking wing. And the bodies being as narrow as they are and so complex in shape makes painting them rather difficult.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Maybe next year with the F1 race in Austin, TX things will improve.

I roll my eyes because when we had the F1 race at Indy it didn't change much. Actually, it's not so much where F1 is, but who is in it. We need another Mario Andretti in F1. It seems that most racing fans in America want to see an "American" in F1 to root for; even though Mario was originally from Italy. Most of our good drivers over here either go to NASCAR or Indy Car, not to F1.

And Gadgt, you are right that rc F1 has always been a "nich" class; and that is why most will not spend more money on F1. What a shame!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

There are hi-end full suspension F1 cars.

5th scale is where it's at if you are looking to spend $$ and enjoy the complexity of extra bits.

Most of us electric racers prefer simplicity and low cost for our F1 fun.

To each there own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.