Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have never seen a saddle configuration for the F103. Side by side works but I remember the packs fitting on the tight side. I'm sure that if direct drive cars become popular again everyone will jump back in the ring...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LeadFoot
Can anyone tell me if it will use only stick packs? I know in Asia they mostly used stick packs but is there a way to use saddle packs?

Anyone have a USA release date?

In the pas where I still race the F103, we solder a long jumper wire and we put in the cells from both ends of the battery holder...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Is tamiya coming out with a conversion kit for the old F103??
Not exactly a conversion kit. They're ordering the parts that's needed to make the old f103 into this car.

LeadFoot - stick packs only unless you modify and strap the side by side batss and tape it.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Tech Adept

Not really Tamiya, but Direc Drive Sports, make some special wheels to do exact the same thing...i have them mounted on my car, and works great, you can see more info (japanese) here:
www.d-drivesports.com
Its an awesome page with great ideas, maybe someday anybody could import them...
Old 02-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

OK been away from racing as i dont get the time these days with working full time nights and weekends been taken up with other things but this car has caught my interest, looks ideal for just going to my local track and having some fun when the sun is out and i just want a quick play.

Nice one Tamiya
Old 02-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LeadFoot
Anyone have a USA release date?
Check post #113 and 114.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Just think of the tremendous market if Tamiya did NASCAR bodyshells for this platform and had a NASCAR category for their TCS. That is, if they can swallow the exorbitant amount in licensing fees that greedy Nascar would want!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Villena
Just think of the tremendous market if Tamiya did NASCAR bodyshells for this platform and had a NASCAR category for their TCS. That is, if they can swallow the exorbitant amount in licensing fees that greedy Nascar would want!
That would be pretty cool, they can probably do the nascar bodies with licensing from Cascar or the British version of Nascar using the american style bodies but with the liveries of those series and with all the after market decals people can make the Nascar liveries using the tamiya bodies licensed from over sees, probably alot less in licensing costs
Old 02-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

I almost hate to even bring this up, but what the heck. Looks like the HPI #7430 (200mm) Chevrolet Monte Carlo or the #7417 (200mm) Ford Taurus may work for your NASCAR needs.

We actually were looking at a #17508 (200mm) 1965 Ford Shelby GT-350 finished body sitting on top of new RC Mercedes Benz C11 Item #58351 Chassis, and thoughts of TRANS-AM cars came to mind, take off the wing, can you say Muscle car?

No the body's are not TAMIYA and it is a SIN to even suggest but they do LOOK cool.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Crunch - The HPI Mustang is a gorgeous bodyshell but is slightly out of scale (too wide) but then again, so was the Tamiya LeMans series (ugh!!!). Still blasphemy but:

A current project with the HPI bodyshell on a Tamiya TT-01

Back on topic - The direct drive chassis/platform could be made to really be versatile; adjustable wheelbase by moving the front suspension back and forth or maybe different lenght bottom plates. BTW wasn't it the Ford 302 Boss vs. Chevy Camaro vs Pontiac Firebird vs Dodge Charger? Another thought would be VINTAGE NASCAR with 1960's era cars and teams....just think of Petty's SUPERBIRD!!!!!! Maybe lesser licensing costs from NASCAR.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Crunch - The HPI Mustang is a gorgeous bodyshell but is slightly out of scale (too wide) but then again, so was the Tamiya LeMans series (ugh!!!). Still blasphemy but:

Back on topic - The direct drive chassis/platform could be made to really be versatile; adjustable wheelbase by moving the front suspension back and forth or maybe different lenght bottom plates. BTW wasn't it the Ford 302 Boss vs. Chevy Camaro vs Pontiac Firebird vs Dodge Charger? Another thought would be VINTAGE NASCAR with 1960's era cars and teams....just think of Petty's SUPERBIRD!!!!!! Maybe lesser licensing costs from NASCAR.
That Looks GREAT, can't wait to see it finished, make sure you post it please

We set the 'Stang body on the 58351 Chassis, cause that is what is here BUT!!! what about using this for the F103GT front and rear, the Wheels have a 6mm off set, 183mm + 12mm total offset wheels = 195mm +- 1mm everything adds up to a killer Slammed Trans-Am look Tires tucked inside the Fenders, 26mm tire up front, 31mm Rear. If you can't afford the real thing at the Barret Jackson, hell make a small one
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-3820_04t.jpg   Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-3815_06t.jpg   Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-7494_01dm.jpg  
Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tamiya did a NASCAR/Stock car style body back in the day with the GTP-Chassis. It didn't sell.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tamiya did a NASCAR/Stock car style body back in the day with the GTP-Chassis. It didn't sell. And I am 99% sure you can use 190mm or SS style bodies with the F103 chassis.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The F103GT can take the 190mm bodies, but not the short wheelbase ones like the MR2 or M0x bodies.

My F103GT is being sent off from Japan today, should get it early next week.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Burlap
The F103GT can take the 190mm bodies, but not the short wheelbase ones like the MR2 or M0x bodies.

My F103GT is being sent off from Japan today, should get it early next week.
How much is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.