2005 Snowbirds Race Coverage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2005 Snowbirds Race Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

McYouKNowMe, nice shots. Send me the full res of you and the Winger dude.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

You got mail sucka
Old 02-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Matt Francis
Hey hey.....Wait just a minute! Whats wrong with 5'1" 320lbs? They try harder!

He, he.
They do it as it might be the last time... ...I heard....
Old 02-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by ms2005fl
I dont think groskamp speaks english.
That is pretty funny.................. That would have been hilarious if he did not speak English and thought Barry was congratulating him.......................
Old 02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

race video Touring Pro Mod A
Old 02-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

I have read the last few pages and will comment mainly about the Europe VS Asia VS USA driver issue. A number of interesting points have been made, and I actually agree with some of Anders points, for a change too.

I think it is a fact that US drivers are disadvantaged. They don't race in the wet, they race mainly on foams which making the racing and set up much easier. Their circuits are mainly small, unlike everything else in the States. All this makes it all very cosy for US drivers, of which I hasten to add there are some excellent world class drivers - Cyrul, Baker, Blackstock, Pavidis, Hodapp, Francis, Tossolini, and of course Kinwald, to name just a few of the older generation. Another point is that they only run one x 5 minute final - which makes it all a bit too final.

What are the solutions. In my opinion the solution is uniformity. If every country raced to the same format and rules, the Americans would not be disadvantaged. They are the only country that insist on racing on foam tyres on a regular basis. Foams went out in Europe with the ark. Also 3 finals seems the norm everywhere else, so why not in the states.

I also agree with Anders that Gilles Groskamp is the quickest driver in Europe at the moment, and I will go as far as to say that he has held that status for at least 3 years. That's my opinion. The reason this is only his first big win boils down to 2 factors in my opinion - luck and choice of equipment, though I have no doubt that a number of persons will disagree with my judgement. It's a free world and I respect their opinions too.

I won't go into the Hudy - Blackstock - Lieno - and God knows how many others saga. It was a topic of conversation at the Nuremburg fair on Monday, and I have to say that there weren't many people I spoke to defending Hudy. My question here is: Where was the race director ?

I think I've just opened up a few new cans of worms here, haven't I ?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

John, I'd like to address some of the issues regarding the US versus Europe in your post.

First of all - foam tires. Foam tires were adopted over a year ago as the standard for mod touring cars on carpet. I know I was happy with the switch away from rubber, and almost everyone I know feels the same way. I don't think running foam tires puts US drivers at a disadvantage in any way, especially considering that Snowbirds were run on foam tires. In my experience, if you are off with your setup running rubber tires, you will be way off the pace, however foams are more forgiving in that regard. On the other hand, I don't remember it being any easier or harder to get the right setup on rubber tires compared to foam. On top of this, rubber is still the US standard for races run on asphalt, putting US racers at no disadvantage there.

I won't get into track size and layout, as I have only run on-road on carpet tracks. Although I don't have any experience running on larger tracks, I don't think smaller tracks would lead to any disadvantage. In fact, it seems to me that a more technical layout would be harsher on driving and setup than a flowing layout.

Also, Snowbirds is in the minority with it's single main format. Most races run in the US use the triple A-main format.

Josh
Old 02-21-2005, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by johnbull

I also agree with Anders that Gilles Groskamp is the quickest driver in Europe at the moment, and I will go as far as to say that he has held that status for at least 3 years.
Did I say that? I do think he is one of the fastest, but Reinhard is not that bad eiter... Not to mention my own boys! They are the best of course! No doubt!

Jilles have been at the Cleveland and Snowbirds for a couple of times, so for sure, he have learn his lession, and after being wrecked for some of those races, he deserv his wictory. No doubt.

Im not sure either that it is simplier to set up a foam tire car. Its different.
Team Xray have been fortunate to have the US team finding realy great set-ups, and they should get the credit for that. All drivers have there own small personal trix and stuff, but I guess Josh, Ralph, Mike and Greg all have there part in this succes( I hope I did not miss anyone....).

One thing is for sure though. "Old" european drivers are hunted like h-ll from young guns. All the time and everywhere.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by johnbull
I won't go into the Hudy - Blackstock - Lieno - and God knows how many others saga. It was a topic of conversation at the Nuremburg fair on Monday, and I have to say that there weren't many people I spoke to defending Hudy. My question here is: Where was the race director ?

I think I've just opened up a few new cans of worms here, haven't I ?
I donīt think you did, it was the guys at the Snowbirds that opened the can

As I wasn't there and haven't seen the race yet I don't have an opinion on this. I did hear some comments on the incident though that I think people should take into account.

Clearly Martin was being lapped and in my book this means he should make room for the faster cars lapping him. However as most of you know not every corner is suitable for such a manouver. I've been told Mike caught Martin just when Martin had entered a difficult chicane that he was fully committed to. Mike obviously was chasing Jilles and I assume wanted to stay as close as possible to have a chance of catching Jilles should he have a problem. Mike decided to go for the pass despite the fact that this would be risky at this point on the track. It went wrong for him...

I can understand people got upset at this point and while you can argue the way people express their frustration I can fully understand it. After the discussions had died down I've been told Mike himself said he knew the pass at that point of the track was risky but decided to go for it anyway (if I got the wrong information please correct me on this). To me this sounds like a race accident, but then I haven't seen it. In any event to me the driver being lapped is primarily responsible...

Having said that, I am surprised to see the "attacks" on Martin's driving in general. We are talking about one incident here, not a whole string. I have raced with Martin and have seen him race on many occassions. He is no more aggressive in his driving than any of the other drivers mentioned in this thread most of whom I have seen in action on multiple occassions too. If anything the only thing I can accuse him off is that he is still relatively inexperienced driving at this level and sometimes makes mistakes as a result.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Videos available

For anyone interested, SCH was on scene shooting all the mains on video.
More info at www.steelcityhobbies.com
Still pictures as well. But the videos are the cool part.
Oval DVD w/all A/B mains are shipping now.
Road Course soon. Individual races available on VHS.
Mike
Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Derek-Winger dude's name is Nasa Bill.......he really is a rocket scientist. No joke......
Old 02-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Too bad the video dosen't show the hit. It happend about 3:42 into the race. You cant really see it but you hear the crowd reaction (boos and come-ons).
Old 02-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AdrianM
Too bad the video dosen't show the hit. It happend about 3:42 into the race. You cant really see it but you hear the crowd reaction (boos and come-ons).
Yeah. Too bad, too bad....
It might proven you wrong you know Perhaps we can leave this race now and look forward to the next?

Last edited by Anders Myrberg; 02-22-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Can somebody close that discussion
Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default SNOWBIRDS PICTURES

Here are some more pictures from the snowbirds just click on the link.

http://www.tqhobbies.com/gallery/snowbirds.php

Be patient there are alot of pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.