Wiki Posts
Search

How to earn a sponsorship?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
Ive been racing for a while now doing both onroad and offroad and am really dedicated to doing my best in this hobby and helping out whoever i can, especially friends and newcomers that want to check it out but lately ive been racing alot more and its really taxing on my bank account. I only work 15-20 hours a week and have expensive university tuition that my parents are helping me with but ive been racing as much as i could since i was about 15 (im 21 now). Ive got plenty of trophies and plaques from what ive won but as i said, with the JBRL and other points-related stuff and even regular club racing, its been hard on my wallet and its only getting harder and harder. Electric offroad has been my main focus with electric onroad being my original main focus, and it still is somewhat. I usually race intermediate stock with onroad and intermediate stock with offroad where offered (i do rookie stock at the JBRL series races because the caliber of racers goes up greatly there and rookie offeres perfect competition for me). I notice even a few rookie guys are sponsored and knowing this it only makes me wonder. What can i do to earn a sponsorship? Even as it stands, i only really want entry fees covered. I pretty much have everything else i need lol. Entry fees stacked with cost of tires and misc. parts kill me, but its so much easier without worrying about entry fees. Do i have to get to know local companies (small or big, probably small) and stuff like that? Im sure a thread like this is brought up semi-often, but i just wanted to know. Hopefully somebody notices, any tips and help are appreciated!
didnt know you were looking but good luck and hope you find something. My only suggestion at the moment would be go up a class and put in some good finishes and it will make it easier.

I am waiting until I have the results before I try to go that route even though I am starting to think about it now.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I was working 50-60 hour weeks while going to school full time. It can be done...
some people can do it, some people cant. You cant assume everyone can work 50-60 hours a week and attend school full time. I know my limits and i know i cant do that.

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Decisions, decisions. What's more important, racing toy cars and working extra hours to support toy car racing, or studying. I think the best thing to do is quit school so you can focus on racing, get really good, and then get that full sponsorship.

Depending on how much racing fees are, I am honestly not sure how much you would save volunteering at the track, versus working those same hours elsewhere. If racing fees are $15 a night, and you race 2x week, then you need $30 a week covered. Since you are in a low tax bracket (working part-time), you would have to work about 4 hours (making $10 an hour.)

At 21, do yourself a favor and focus on your studies. When you graduate and get a well paying job, the $30 a week won't be a concern.

Just my .02 cents.
I dont need your .02 cents. Dont take guesses at what my schedule/pay/race times are, thats off to the wrong tangent. I race maybe once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks and sometimes a few weekends in a row (due to the JBRL). Guessing i need $30 a week and say i only need 4 hours of work is dumb. I eat, i commute to school, i drive to work, i go out with friends sometimes. You didnt even factor in whether or not i have bills or things like that. Good job. I know that $30 a week wont be an issue several years from now but thats the future, not now obviously. I spend enough time at school, probably 2-3 times more hours than i put in at work so tell me, really, what does it sound like my focus is? Racing is my weekend thing to get away from the stresses of school, and sometime im really really into apart from that.

Originally Posted by overflow
Dude, Help Charlie out and setup the track and tear down. he will notice and help you out on the race fee.
Ima ask about that thanks

Originally Posted by overflow
I would ask your self too... are you ready for a sponsor? If you’re looking for a product sponsor could you relate proper feedback on what the product is doing? If someone came up to you and asked a question about a problem they were having with the product you run, could you give them the right advice?

Maybe I am wrong, I don’t have a sponsorship. But if I were running a company and had people running my products, this is what I would expect out of them.
nah definately if im using it, i'll know everything about it. Im a stickler for details of absolutely everything i can take in, either if im using it or even just have an interest in it.

Josh, i think you'd have a good chance.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Bill was saying work an additonal 4 hours for the race fees. Not work ONLY 4 hours. The more you post though the more Im thinking you just want something for nothing. Or at least thats how your posts are beginning to come off to me.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Bill was saying work an additonal 4 hours for the race fees. Not work ONLY 4 hours. The more you post though the more Im thinking you just want something for nothing. Or at least thats how your posts are beginning to come off to me.
thats cool. you dont know me so, how i race, how i act, or any of that important information so its not like you can make a proper judgment anyways (not that you should be judging anybody either).

I race alot, have been doing nonstop weekends for a good while now, noticed the funds deficit that has left (mainly due to buying so many sets of tires and gas prices), and really like talking about anything interesting i might have (like my MRT PTX transponder that i tell people about). I'd be a walking infomercial/billboard if said company/store/crew/individuals would give me free stuff/sponsorship/whatever would work.

The more this thread progresses though, the more i just figure "forget it." Keep racing, maybe someone will notice eventually if funds dont run out or force me out first. Just continue as i always have and maybe mess around with it some. I had the funniest idea for me and my racing friends and they seemed to like it too, id have to look into how to get it done. Basically, wear matching t-shirts to look like a team but the shirts say (front and back): Team Sponsor Me Racing.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey i talked to a friend of mine a wile ago about getting a sponsor. he said it is a lot of sacrifices and you need to be pretty good, one thing to get good is to practice a lot and know your car and know what to change on it. one thing that you do and i do the same thing, is we go to the track and race then we go to the next track and race but we don't change things on the car, every track is different and we need to get out of doing that, witch i have started doing.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by metalracer2
hey i talked to a friend of mine a wile ago about getting a sponsor. he said it is a lot of sacrifices and you need to be pretty good, one thing to get good is to practice a lot and know your car and know what to change on it. one thing that you do and i do the same thing, is we go to the track and race then we go to the next track and race but we don't change things on the car, every track is different and we need to get out of doing that, witch i have started doing.
keep it up, rustman!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default to be 21 again

I wish I were 21 again and knew everything.

Do you really think that someone will sponsor you with no strings attached?

What will happen when you have an exam to study for and a big race where someone is paying your way?

You are right about 1 thing, I don't know you, your schedule, etc. But I do know a simple fact about life; No one gives you something for nothing, there are always strings attached, and in the grand scheme of things, working an extra few hours so you can pay your own way and make your own schedule is more important than getting something "free."

I'm off my soap box, and since you are looking for something "free", why don't you want my .02 cents?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I wish I were 21 again and knew everything.

Do you really think that someone will sponsor you with no strings attached?

What will happen when you have an exam to study for and a big race where someone is paying your way?

You are right about 1 thing, I don't know you, your schedule, etc. But I do know a simple fact about life; No one gives you something for nothing, there are always strings attached, and in the grand scheme of things, working an extra few hours so you can pay your own way and make your own schedule is more important than getting something "free."

I'm off my soap box, and since you are looking for something "free", why don't you want my .02 cents?

I am well aware that nothing in life is free so you're better off just staying quiet than playing devil's advocate.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
thats cool. you dont know me so, how i race, how i act, or any of that important information so its not like you can make a proper judgment anyways (not that you should be judging anybody either).
I know how and what you post on the internet which is a reflection of your online self. I would guess very important to potential sponsors.

By the way, I have an MRT PTX. It didnt count about 1/3rd of my laps in 2 heats yesterday. Got ideas on how to fix it?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

By the way, I have an MRT PTX. It didnt count about 1/3rd of my laps in 2 heats yesterday. Got ideas on how to fix it?
Not to steal this thread, but to answer your question... On your side of the equation, make sure that it's getting enough voltage from your receiver, check the wire from the transponder to the receiver and be sure that the wire is in great shape, along with the connectors fitting nice and tight on the pins in the receiver. If the loop is above the track, mount it higher in your chassis, like on a servo. If the loop is buried in the track, mount it low on the chassis, and try to make sure that there is nothing that conducts electricity between the transponder and the loop. All of these are ways to increase your chances of not missing laps.

The problem is not always on the driver's side of the equation. If the loop was put up in a hap-hazzard way, it could also be skipping your transponder counts, disregarding them as excess 'noise'. The loop line should not be wound around itself, or left in a rats nest at the splitter box. Another problem that we had with our loop mis-counting was the loop wire was so old that the wire was corroding inside the insulation. We replaced our loop line and all our mis-counts went away. That was a miserable regional for the track. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by timmay70
Not to steal this thread, but to answer your question... On your side of the equation, make sure that it's getting enough voltage from your receiver, check the wire from the transponder to the receiver and be sure that the wire is in great shape, along with the connectors fitting nice and tight on the pins in the receiver. If the loop is above the track, mount it higher in your chassis, like on a servo. If the loop is buried in the track, mount it low on the chassis, and try to make sure that there is nothing that conducts electricity between the transponder and the loop. All of these are ways to increase your chances of not missing laps.

The problem is not always on the driver's side of the equation. If the loop was put up in a hap-hazzard way, it could also be skipping your transponder counts, disregarding them as excess 'noise'. The loop line should not be wound around itself, or left in a rats nest at the splitter box. Another problem that we had with our loop mis-counting was the loop wire was so old that the wire was corroding inside the insulation. We replaced our loop line and all our mis-counts went away. That was a miserable regional for the track. Good luck.
Right on the money thanks

and or8, cry more. Id look locally before looking online and your meaningless judgements aren't getting you anywhere. I didnt make this thread to get flamed and those of you that see "sponsor me" threads and go to scrutinize and critcize the person in a negative manner, i feel sorry for you. Can a mod close this thread? This is starting to get ridiculous.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Mods, keep it open so potential sponsors can see what kind of baby this guy is! Seriously dude, go back and look at my posts as compared to yours and see who is crying...

People got on this thread trying to help you and all you did is tell everyone how wrong they were. If you knew it all then why did you make the thread?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

a continuosly positive attitude goes a LONG way. You wouldn't want to pit with someone negative at an ultra competitive event where stress levels are high and run times are limited.

Stay positive in the face of hardship and negativism. Show a sincere willingness to learn and practice as hard as you possibly can. Give tons of respect to those who obviously know more and are proven to be faster than you.

And try to put your own goals to the side when you see new drivers comming to the track. Help them out. I've learned more about racing by assisting other drivers who have absolutely no clue whats going on. Its one thing to be told how to wrench/drive but another entirely to tell someone else how to wrench/drive. give it a shot.

good luck and stay positive.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Bear
a continuosly positive attitude goes a LONG way. You wouldn't want to pit with someone negative at an ultra competitive event where stress levels are high and run times are limited.

Stay positive in the face of hardship and negativism. Show a sincere willingness to learn and practice as hard as you possibly can. Give tons of respect to those who obviously know more and are proven to be faster than you.

And try to put your own goals to the side when you see new drivers comming to the track. Help them out. I've learned more about racing by assisting other drivers who have absolutely no clue whats going on. Its one thing to be told how to wrench/drive but another entirely to tell someone else how to wrench/drive. give it a shot.

good luck and stay positive.
Im the most positive guy you'll meet at the track willing to talk about anything and help with what i can but if or8 wants to chip away sitting comfy behind his keyboard knowing that he can type what he wants, thats his problem now because I could care less now. Looking back, all i see is negative criticism and me defending myself because I do not take well to "beating around the bush" insults/criticisms/etc. This thread was for tips on how to earn a sponsorship, not critiques on my skills or ungrounded judgements. All the response i was going to put were things like "thanks for tips! thanks for the info" etc. because thats all i asked for.

Everybody, thanks for your input regardless.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

So lets see my posts consisted of me saying:

- I worked 50-60 hours a week when going to school full time, it can be done.
- I posted a smiley face to point out that working at the hobby shop is a better route
- I suggested to Bill that working at the track would allow you to work and race at the same time vs working someplace else. Thus saving you gas money.
- I corrected your thoughts on Bill's post explaining he was saying work an additional 4 hours and you would have your race fees covered. He was saying that might be a way to get the money in less time then helping at the track
- I pointed out that in my opinion your post came off as wanting something for nothing. Which -is- how your post are coming off to -me-.

You then talk about how people are crying, go on to point out other people's spelling mistakes and complain about how you werent getting the type of responses you want.

If you ever really wanted to be a sponsored driver then you are going to need to be a lot more thick skinned and not so sensative. Sponsored drivers get a lot of criticism. Ive seen sponsored drivers get yelled at over a product they are sponsored by not working for another driver. Nothing that person did at all but they take the blame since it is someone they can yell at. In one particular case someone had some bad battery packs. The sponsored driver just gave the guy 2 new packs that he had paid for just to make the guy happy. Its really not as glamarous as it seems all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.