R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How to earn a sponsorship? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/222991-how-earn-sponsorship.html)

Syber Serulean 05-21-2008 12:05 AM

How to earn a sponsorship?

Ive been racing for a while now doing both onroad and offroad and am really dedicated to doing my best in this hobby and helping out whoever i can, especially friends and newcomers that want to check it out but lately ive been racing alot more and its really taxing on my bank account. I only work 15-20 hours a week and have expensive university tuition that my parents are helping me with but ive been racing as much as i could since i was about 15 (im 21 now). Ive got plenty of trophies and plaques from what ive won but as i said, with the JBRL and other points-related stuff and even regular club racing, its been hard on my wallet and its only getting harder and harder. Electric offroad has been my main focus with electric onroad being my original main focus, and it still is somewhat. I usually race intermediate stock with onroad and intermediate stock with offroad where offered (i do rookie stock at the JBRL series races because the caliber of racers goes up greatly there and rookie offeres perfect competition for me). I notice even a few rookie guys are sponsored and knowing this it only makes me wonder. What can i do to earn a sponsorship? Even as it stands, i only really want entry fees covered. I pretty much have everything else i need lol. Entry fees stacked with cost of tires and misc. parts kill me, but its so much easier without worrying about entry fees. Do i have to get to know local companies (small or big, probably small) and stuff like that? Im sure a thread like this is brought up semi-often, but i just wanted to know. Hopefully somebody notices, any tips and help are appreciated!

403forbidden 05-21-2008 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean (Post 4464686)
Ive been racing for a while now doing both onroad and offroad and am really dedicated to doing my best in this hobby and helping out whoever i can, especially friends and newcomers that want to check it out but lately ive been racing alot more and its really taxing on my bank account. I only work 15-20 hours a week and have expensive university tuition that my parents are helping me with but ive been racing as much as i could since i was about 15 (im 21 now). Ive got plenty of trophies and plaques from what ive won but as i said, with the JBRL and other points-related stuff and even regular club racing, its been hard on my wallet and its only getting harder and harder. Electric offroad has been my main focus with electric onroad being my original main focus, and it still is somewhat. I usually race intermediate stock with onroad and intermediate stock with offroad where offered (i do rookie stock at the JBRL series races because the caliber of racers goes up greatly there and rookie offeres perfect competition for me). I notice even a few rookie guys are sponsored and knowing this it only makes me wonder. What can i do to earn a sponsorship? Even as it stands, i only really want entry fees covered. I pretty much have everything else i need lol. Entry fees stacked with cost of tires and misc. parts kill me, but its so much easier without worrying about entry fees. Do i have to get to know local companies (small or big, probably small) and stuff like that? Im sure a thread like this is brought up semi-often, but i just wanted to know. Hopefully somebody notices, any tips and help are appreciated!

Contact highvelocityracing.com

they are looking for team drivers!

:)

Syber Serulean 05-21-2008 12:17 AM

contacted, thanks :).

Rick Hohwart 05-21-2008 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean (Post 4464686)

Having entry fees or other expenses paid for is generally done when you get a little higher up the sponsorship ladder. Most will start with discounts on their products. And there are a ton of companies that will sponsor pretty much anyone regardless of skill level.

My best advice would be to step out of rookie as soon as possible. You will improve much faster racing against faster drivers.

tc3team 05-21-2008 08:02 AM

You will need a lot of big race credentials against your name to get a factory deal, these are few and far between as well unless a team is expanding, or a high end racer has quit/left the team/whatever.

As said, smaller sponsorship levels are possible to find, which includes discount on product inventory. Sometimes you may even win some $ if you do well enough and the deal is there, but paid up race entry is for factory drivers.....

Bear in mind there's a good chance that whatever money you save on products through sponsorship, you will spend on other r/c stuff anyways....

All the best :)

more$thanbrains 05-21-2008 10:45 AM

Not to be mean or anything,

but if you have to ask, you don't need it.

Syber Serulean 05-21-2008 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by more$thanbrains (Post 4465973)

Right.

anyways. The rest of you guys, thanks for the help. Didnt know much about how sponsorship works or what levels to it there are. Not after a factory deal at all, just lookin to start small as that is all that is really fitting for me at the moment. Thanks for the tip too, Mr.Rick.

johnnyboy 05-21-2008 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by more$thanbrains (Post 4465973)

Not true. You have to give them a reason to sponsor you. Manufacturers can't be everywhere and don't know what is going on in other parts of the country. Having a local sponsored driver is a cheap way to increase product awareness and can increase market share. For any type of sponsorship, I would draw up a nice proposal listing (between 3-5 pages):

- What you can/will provide for them (break it down and be specific)
- What you want from them (again, be specific.). Don't just say "I'll take anything".
- Short background on yourself
- Small list of racing achievements
- a few pictures

If you do get something, don't just leave it at that. Follow it up. Keep them up to date with what is going on in your area, feedback about the products etc.

As for monetary compensation, you would have to be hitting up a fair amount of the bigger races and do quite well in the upper classes (modified).

Good luck!

Syber Serulean 05-21-2008 01:28 PM

thanks for the input!

JamesArluck 05-21-2008 01:37 PM

If you're just looking for getting your club racing entry fees and discounts on misc. parts, try hitting up the local shops and tracks you race at. You may be able to strike a deal for free racing in exchange for help running the races or doing track maintenance on non-race days. Some shops give a % employee discount so you could pick up a few hours a week at a shop for low pay in exchange for being able to buy your parts cheap. These may be better options for you to explore than to try and land a sponsorship to help pay for club racing.

or8ital 05-21-2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JamesArluck (Post 4466414)
If you're just looking for getting your club racing entry fees and discounts on misc. parts, try hitting up the local shops and tracks you race at. You may be able to strike a deal for free racing in exchange for help running the races or doing track maintenance on non-race days. Some shops give a % employee discount so you could pick up a few hours a week at a shop for low pay in exchange for being able to buy your parts cheap. These may be better options for you to explore than to try and land a sponsorship to help pay for club racing.

:nod:

JCarr 05-21-2008 01:50 PM

Worked for me. :D

P2 05-21-2008 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JCarr (Post 4466442)

Me too - I help out every weekend prepping/cleaning up the track each race day. Also on non-race days for track renovation etc. Reward = free racing....kind of like a sponsorship :nod:

stiltskin 05-21-2008 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JCarr (Post 4466442)

Ditto.

RCSteve93 05-21-2008 08:01 PM

+6:nod: