Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blinky poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So for those who say there is no advantage to being any faster than average blinky stock equipment, why limit the class at all? Wouldn't that just mean drivers running anything faster would only be hurting themselves?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IMO - the advantage Mod has over Spec is the ability to choose how you want to run your electronics according to the track you are runnin on. You choose and gear your motor based on what you can handle on the track. With spec - the equipment is chosen for you and you need to push it as hard as you can to make it go the speed you want.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
Most all the racers populating the stock class at the tracks where I race were modified drivers before. We're all having more fun racing 17.5 now and it is certainly no easier to win. We've seen A-mains covered by a 10 second spread in qualifying. B and C were more spread out. There is no B in modified any more.
Isn't that the point regarding the motor and battery discussion? With limited power more drivers are able to get closer to the max out of the car, leading to the close racing. Isn't this exactly when small differences like 3 feet on one straight alone are significant?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Only if everyone gears the same - otherwise you have conservative guys geared slow and running the same motor for years and aggressive guys geared to the limit burning up motors every 3 weeks.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by Grandturk
With spec - the equipment is chosen for you and you need to push it as hard as you can to make it go the speed you want.
How so?
Spec class at any track I race at lets you use any ESC as long as you do not have timing in it.
I run Viper which has a Blinky mode. the list goes on and on with ESC's you can run without timing in a stock spec class. Unless, the track you race at say you can only run xxx name brand ESC at that point. I will not be racing at that track anymore

Last time I checked this isn't NASCAR. even tough we are racing little RC toy cars. we do turn left and "right"
Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brent701
How so?
Spec class at any track I race at lets you use any ESC as long as you do not have timing in it.
I run Viper which has a Blinky mode. the list goes on and on with ESC's you can run without timing in a stock spec class. Unless, the track you race at say you can only run xxx name brand ESC at that point. I will not be racing at that track anymore

Last time I checked this isn't NASCAR. even tough we are racing little RC toy cars. we do turn left and "right"
Lots of little differences but until I see hard dyno numbers, a 17.5 is a 17.5 is a 17.5
Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by Grandturk
Lots of little differences but until I see hard dyno numbers, a 17.5 is a 17.5 is a 17.5
You said "the equipment is chosen for you"

How so.. Just cause a spec class is a 17.5T doesn't mean they are picking what you run. Just what size motor and a ESC that can run no timing

I guess I am either not reading into what you are say or just misunderstanding what you are saying. ( hidden info)

my little Viper 17.5T has no problem running with 10.5T motors at the track I race at.

it is what it is though.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This isn't the days of Green Machine 3's and round cells. 17.5, even in blinky, has so much power it's rediculous. even a bad one is still more than you really need.

I will say it's absolutely crucial to nail your gearing with blinky, more so than any other class. I was running 35/72, went up 1 tooth as advised, car was a beast.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chaseman1
I run blinky cause its fun hands down. The class is huge and at the places I race in the mod class its like watching a ifmar world championship on some nights! For a fast guy thats not a superpro blinky is where its at where Im from!
Aint that the truth! on one night you can go to WCRC and Cav, Numan, Poh and Cody Turner will be there, the next night, you go to OCRC and Root, Hartson, Lane and Thayer will be there not to mention the Local Hotshoes who are good enough to give even the top level drivers a fit on occasion like Walnutz, Joe Smalley, Kevin Smith, RB, Danny etc.
Originally Posted by Davidka
This is an antiquated viewpoint that hasn't been relevant since brushed motors were still being run. Maybe it holds if you are an elite level driver running on carpet, but not dirt (this is the electric off-road forum).
^totally agree! I think his statements were much more relevant in the brushed, cut your com every other race, slot your brushes, peak your nicd days lol
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Stock is no longer a entry level class so why do we even still race it ?

Battle cry !!!!!

Its time everyone !!!
One class , open motor for all i say ...
Beginner/novice is Entry level classes and they seem to be doing just fine. But I do think there needs to be a division between stock and mod. I will agree that stock motors even in blinky mode are really good these days and not too far off of mod motors, so maybe our stock classes need to go to a 19.5 or as another person suggested maybe 21.5 in order to further delineate the differences. I think running stock, the lines should be different like with a decent sized triple, mod guys should be able to trip while stock guys wont have the power and it'll reward those with good rhythm and double single. Also stockers shouldn't have the power to make a big jump right after a tight turn, they should have to go wide and carry speed to clear that double. It forces you to choose better lines for your vehicle and learn how to drive better as opposed to just relying on the power. This to me will make me a better driver in the long run. Thats' why I AM a huge fan of stock NT classes. But with current 17.5's being as good as they are, that line is slightly blurred, but it's pretty obvious that a very good driver in stock is still at a disadvantage to to a very good driver in mod. I've seen plenty of stock tq's that woulda put them in the amain in mod, but certainly wouldn't have come anywhere close to winning it.
Originally Posted by Edumakated
Throw em all together and let the clock sort it out. All this creating different classes is just BS. Electric off road racing has way too many classes and rules that are rooted in the 1980s.

There is no battery war. Cost is no longer an issue. Stock isn't a beginner class.

If you can't handle an 8.5 or 10.5 or whatever run a 17.5. Why do we need a separate class? The top blinky drivers are almost always running A main mod times anyway so it is obvious equipment has nothing to do with results.

I am actually going to be getting a 17.5 motor to run in 2wd mod. I'll be faster with the slower motor and it will make me more consistent. No need to create a class...
disagree, see my above post for clarification
Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Isn't that the point regarding the motor and battery discussion? With limited power more drivers are able to get closer to the max out of the car, leading to the close racing. Isn't this exactly when small differences like 3 feet on one straight alone are significant?
It would seem that way at face value but it doesn't work out that way. Even though the racing is close, the order turns out about the way you expect it to and the guy with the fastest motor is not always on top. We had really close modified racing when everyone ran mod too. All the 17.5's are fast enough to make the fastest possible stock lap times. Our track always has at least one jump combination that can't be cleared with a stock motor so modified is always faster with similar driver skill.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
This isn't the days of Green Machine 3's and round cells. 17.5, even in blinky, has so much power it's rediculous. even a bad one is still more than you really need.

I will say it's absolutely crucial to nail your gearing with blinky, more so than any other class. I was running 35/72, went up 1 tooth as advised, car was a beast.
Its relative... if stock is a beginner class, then no you don't need more power than a bad 17.5 cad offer. If its a spec expert class, then a bad motor is a definite disadvantage.

The only time I ran blinky stock, I had a beat motor, 30c batteries, and felt like I was at a definite disadvantage on a fairly large track.... I ran OK (8th out of 40ish at a track I hadn't run before) but I really feel like I could have picked up a couple spots with some nice equipment.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To further expand on how popular Stock classes have gotten, at least here on the Left Coast:

You can bet I'll be there and it should be super fun!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
Its relative... if stock is a beginner class, then no you don't need more power than a bad 17.5 cad offer. If its a spec expert class, then a bad motor is a definite disadvantage.

The only time I ran blinky stock, I had a beat motor, 30c batteries, and felt like I was at a definite disadvantage on a fairly large track.... I ran OK (8th out of 40ish at a track I hadn't run before) but I really feel like I could have picked up a couple spots with some nice equipment.
out here, it's mod. there is no stock. I ran motorama with same sorta deal you had. 30C Gens Ace, Burned Tekin motor. I qual 19th and was roughly 1 sec a lap off the pace. I had just as much power (more in some cases) as all the "stock guru's", I just wasn't running clean enough. All I did was walk over, ask if my gearing was right (First 17.5 race so wasn't sure) and was told go up 1 tooth. Did that, car was a beast. I ended up blowing up that motor (sorry Chris ) or I would still run it.

And before someone says it, motor blew up because I was doubling up with it and running it in mod, bumped out of my main and it had no time to cool off. Went back on the track over 120deg and came off at a well done 200ish.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
To further expand on how popular Stock classes have gotten, at least here on the Left Coast:

You can bet I'll be there and it should be super fun!

I would do it too, but not because it's stock... just because it's another big race that I could attend LOL.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wait a minute, isnt there stock in the regular nationals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.