• 1 Post By fyrstormer

Traxxas Trx4 vs Losi Night Crawler SE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Traxxas Trx4 vs Losi Night Crawler SE

Im thinking of getting into rock crawling my question is are they really that fun and which should I buy.Thank you.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I'd suggest watching a good few YouTube videos on each vehicle so you really get a feel for what those 2 vehicles are designed to do. Then go with the one suits your "crawling" needs. I have a Losi Comp Crawler, which the Night Crawler is based off of, and recently picked up a TRX4. Both a lot of fun to drive, but totally different purposes.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Rookie

The TRX4 is more of a scaler, trail truck. The Night Crawler is more for rock crawling. I personally feel they are more fun than racing.
freaksofnature likes this.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

I will say this. The more I drive my TRX4 Tactical, the more I really like this thing. I did do the front bumper mod for more clearance and also removed the spare tire and other accessories from the back of the truck. Can't hold a candle to my Comp Crawler as far as pure crawling capabilities go, but it's much more capable than I originally expected. Plus, it's fun kicking it into high gear and chasing my dog around. He's a Borador so when he hits the afterburner he's gone, but still fun. Will be picking up 2 TRX4 Sports soon for my boys so they can join me on the local crawler course. They're 5 and 7 so not having the 2 speed makes me more comfortable with them.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Crawler/trail truck you can run them anywhere unlike racing is only at the track. I take my daughters, trucks and the dog hiking. I always hear I've never seen that before. TRX4 is a lil to heavy for my taste and crawling/trailing style. It struggles on our trails but it is a decent truck. I I were to ever get a traxxas I'd go for the Sport version. Lighter and less gadgets to break. I had a Losi Comp years ago but I have thought about the new SE and how would it do. Crawling for 2-3 hours and go home. Great day of fun. Racing all day event and fellow racers that never marshal sucks.
King DORK likes this.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cul8tr
Crawling for 2-3 hours and go home. Great day of fun. Racing all day event and fellow racers that never marshal sucks.
Exactly what turned me off from racing several years ago. I take my boys to the local parks and walk the trails with our trucks. Far more enjoyable and my boys (5 & 8 years old) really love it. Sold all of my racing cars and bought all of us trail trucks.
DRTMI and Dave_S like this.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is there an 8th scale crawler? I only see 10th scale and the redcat 5th scale.
i see gmade brand but im thinking parts will be hard to get?
Old 08-29-2019, 01:30 AM
Tech Master

My friend's Gmade GOM is listed as 1/10 scale, but is big next to my TRX 4 and absolutely dwarfs my Losi Comp Crawler.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

1/10 is about the perfect size to take anywhere and play. 1/8 would be like a super class crawler to me and only a few places would the extra size be beneficial. Mini is also almost to small in most places. Of course this is just my opinion.
This is a 1/8 MOA crawler;
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCFg&adurl=

This they call 1/8 but it's a copy of the 1/10 Venom Creeper;
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCF8&adurl=
Old 08-31-2019, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are they fun? Here's the video that sold me an Axial Wraith:

freaksofnature likes this.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 918 RCR
Im thinking of getting into rock crawling my question is are they really that fun and which should I buy.Thank you.
Rock crawling for me, is like advanced problem solving in real time. It's challenging and fun, trying to find the right line to take, to accomplish the climb / descent. There's also the micromanagement of weight distribution, center of gravity, etc etc. It's just so much more complex than what I used to do, which was jump a Yeti trophy truck 6 feet in the air, only to have to have it break every run.

I can't talk on the Losi, but I ended up going with the trx4 sport kit. My first kit ever built, and first crawler..but I knew it'd be fun for me. I really enjoy rock crawling, and have at least a couple good spots around here to check out. Since I already had a go fast truck, I have nearly no desire to go fast..and this thing goes plenty fast to keep up with my pace. It probably goes..maybe 10mph on 3s? maybe 12. So..I'm never pulling the trigger fully. Here's a video of my latest rock crawling adventure to showcase what the trx4 sport is capable of..and I've only owned it for a month. Things can probably be setup / I can learn to crawl better..but it's truly been a blast so far!

Sorry, apparently I can't post links..but if you're truly interested, search youtube for TRXcellence ... the 2nd video is (obviously) the most recent, that I made yesterday.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Trx4 and losi night crawler is different crawler,Trx4 is simulation type ,losi night crawler is more like performance type. Trx4 has more upgrade option .By the way,if you want your kid get back into hobby i think trx4 is a better choice .Because it have landrove body and more body option to select.Kids like it
Old 09-27-2019, 11:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

2.2 axial wraiths are my favorite. They are very capable rigs
Old 09-29-2019, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

I put bomber rear links on the rear of my wraith. I like it a lot better.