Wiki Posts
Search

Rocky Mountain Challenge August 14/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Great Event!!!

Thank you Mark and the entire Colorado RC club for a wonderful RC racing event!!!!! We had a wonderful time indeed. Hopefully those of you who would like to get into a class that is fun, cheap and competitive and saw us running those GT cars in the race can grow this awesome class in Colorado area like other places in the country and around the world. Go Racing!!!!!

Andy
Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A great couple days of racing! A big thanks to Mark, Art, Chris, Mike and everyone else who helped bring this race together. Also a big thanks to everyone from out of town for thier support; it was nice to see so many new faces.

I had a blast - hope everyone else did as well.

Next big race: HTW FAll Classic; see you there.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

thanks fellas for the great day of racing , track prep was awsome anouncing was the best in a while thanks to Art , to others that helped with the race and food thank u too. Fun racing with all who entered and some of the best racing to watch (Sal and Robert and Mark)....the touring car main wore me out that was the most fun ...thank you Mike and Sal for pitting
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

sounds like lots of fun was had. too bad i had to miss it. looking forward to the classic.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

great weekend with a great group.thanks mark for all your work(always put your cap on tightly on your rum)yuk.

thanks mike and chris the food was great.
art great job on the mike. a big thanks to the gang from the springs and to our new friends . to all the members a big for making it happen.

ben thanks for the midnite run
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

anyone find an xray reciever rubber boot,later
Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Well the first Rocky Mountain Challenge is in the books. There are many big smilley faces and grins by almost all racers this weekend, and for those who missed it ..... your loss. Already thinking about next years event and what we can do to make it even better. But here is a short run down, and I'll post a full write up with all the results on the CORRC site by next week.

13.5 Rubber tire
This class put on a great show in every run. In qualifying the top 6 cars were on the same lap and only separated by 15 seconds with 1st - 4th only by 6. TQ went to Brittan Bachs He went on to win with a 1st in A1, 3rd A2 and 2nd in A3. Ken Souther with a win in A2 and 2nd in A1 came home second and Steve Folle rounded out in 3rd with a 2nd in A2, 3rd in A3 and 4th in A1. The hard luck racer of the week was Federico, who had the miss fortune to crash behind the corner marshal in A1 and then get stepped on by a corner marshal getting to another car in A2. Even with that he finished in 4th showing just how fast he was. I'm sure he will be working hard at the Hobby Town Classic to take that win.

Nitro B - Main: Efrem Pisano and Matt Bittinger were almost a dead tie for the 10th spot in qualifications with just under 0.09 seconds a part. In the main Efrem had motor problems and drop out with 47 laps and Matt had to deal with Tuss Erickeson who was being pitted and helped by the guys from New Mexico. Tuss endded up 4 laps down to Matt at the end of 20 min (should have been 5 but Matt never made it for the last lap)

IGT : It was a lot of fun to run these cars with Andy and Gus from Utah, I know myself and Jim had a great time and congrats to Chriss Wadlay for playing as well. Anyway Gus had the field pretty much covered and was doing his best to walk away from the field, and he did thanks to his door prize of a set of the new Sweep tires. What we found is that these tires work really well on the smooth VHT prep track like ours or Vegas. The Ipenama's seem to work on tracks with sugar water or soda watter prep (like Lincoln, or the tracks in Utah). Andy really had to do a lot of work to get his car to the main, as he had a run away that almost destroyed the car. Hit was so hard that it bent his chassis. In the main Gus got away and for some laps I was racing with Andy, but I lost 2nd gear at some point so ran most of the race in 1st, which shows how tuff these cars really are. So first and TQ to Gus, Andy 2nd and I rounded out the podium in 3rd.

Thanks to Ipenema which gave the new Warrior bodies to all the podium finishers.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default Rocky Mountain Challenge part two

For the 1/10 Nitro Touring cars after the first day, Matt Hinds had the top spot (but not by much), and with Ben Archer and Steve Rossi showing up for the finall qualifier. The racing should be a great one to watch.

In the final qualifier Ben went out and made the only 23 lap run to take the pole. Which then put Mike Hinds, Sean Guthrib from New Mexico and Jim Hiller in 2nd- 4th all with 22 lap runs. Steve Rossi did make the show but JUST in 9th spot, but with having just run at the IFMAR Worlds a few weeks back, we new not to count him out.

This turned out to be a great race with Steve and Sean getting closer together as the race wore on. Two cars dropped out early in John Soladay on the first lap and John Stout on lap 24. By the 20 to 25 min mark we lost three more racers first was Ben Archer who was leading or close to the lead; next was Mike hinds who ran the second fastest top 20 laps at 13.675 and second fastest lap at 13.394 and lastly Nol Gonzales at the 24 min mark and 92 laps. The balance of the cars finished the 30 min run, welll almost. In 5th was Jessie Hinds who was just not on his game this week, lead by our B-Main winner Matt Bettinger who put 188 laps on his car in both mains.

So the race for the win was down to Jim Hiller who finished 3rd and Steve Rossi and Sean Guthrib. This battle got better as the race went on. Steve did not start well and I believe (dont have the paperwork to support this, but I think he got a lap or two down early and then made it back. So the final fuel stop is done, 5 mins to go and on the last lap both run out of fuel with in 10 feet of each other on the back straight. So this is a dash to get the cars back and fired up and through the timing bridge. Sean got this done for the win. I was watching rossi's car and I believe his receive wires were ripped and off, with everyone backing up, thinking that a spark would be an UGLY end to the weekend. Steve taped up one end and called it a day. Sean won with 121 laps in 30:19 and Steve second at 120 and 29:43. Sean had the consitant run with a fast lap of 13.7862 and top 20 laps at 13.875 to Steves fast lap or 13.268 and top 20 at 13.385.

So I believe what made the difference was Sean's working Saturday night on the car and Steve working hard just to get to the race from Glenn Wood Springs. But Great show.

Lastly was 1/8 4wd Open. Steve Rossi did show up with his A-game for this event and won the TQ in the final qualifier, just missing the only 25 lap run for the week. Sal and Robert were all over them selves at 24/5:05 and 24/5:07. And as usall, I made all my runs but still not able to get close.

In the mains, the bigest excitement was when Rossi's car quit. With a very large grin on his face announced "That he was happy to finally broken a motor in an 1/8 scale car" He lost the rod in the motor which let me finish in 3rd. Sal drove to 2nd place with a hurt car, and Robert ended up with the win with 133 laps. Speeds with these cars are just HUGH as Steve had his top 20 at 12.469 with a fast of 12.252; Rober was top 20 at 12.656 and 12.467; Sal at top 20 12.833 and 12.671 and finally Mark with top 20 13.906 and fast of 13.731.

So as they say the race is in the books, and I know I'm looking for the race next year.

Thanks to all that came out and raced / announced / ran consesions and just had a good time.

Mark Wernimont
VP - Pavement

PS Maybe we should have had something for the Iron-Man in the mains today. Matt Bettinger 188 laps in the same car, Steve Rossi 172 in 1/8 and 1/10 Nitro and Mark Wernimont at 217 in IGT and 1/8 Nitro.

Last edited by Grenade10; 08-16-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtnman
great weekend with a great group.thanks mark for all your work(always put your cap on tightly on your rum)yuk.

thanks mike and chris the food was great.
art great job on the mike. a big thanks to the gang from the springs and to our new friends . to all the members a big for making it happen.

ben thanks for the midnite run
Jim, The cap was on when I left it in your trailer. Sorry about that.

See you next week for racing.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Congratulations to all who did well, and thanks to everyone who helped put on the race. Also a big thanks to Art for helping me with my car even though i did poorly.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Rocky Mountain Challenge Results

Here are the main Set up and Results. Pictures and these results will be posted there as well.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Default OOP's

Sorry hit the button too fast.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Main Set Up 001.pdf (110.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: pdf
Final Results 001.pdf (479.0 KB, 191 views)
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default Rocky Mountain Challenge - Pit towels

Ok, last post as I need to earn a living.

We have a few Pit Towels left over from the race. First come, first served

$12.50 / each or 2 for $20.00

Bring cash to the track next Sunday.

E-mail to [email protected]
Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

GREAT RACING WAS A TON OF FUN IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW UP YOU MISSED OUT (MARIO) HOW DID YOU DO WITH THE BIG CAR? THANKS TO ALL THAT SHOWED UP TO PLAY WITH THE LITTLE CARS
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

FYIWe will be out on the asphalt on Sunday so clean the cars off and we will see you there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.