Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How can i take my car to the United states by airplane?? >

How can i take my car to the United states by airplane??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can i take my car to the United states by airplane??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Im flying out of Saint Louis, MO on Southwest where bags fly FREE!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have never travelled with my gear but have read that it is a good idea to take an rc magazine with to help explain what you have in your luggage, especially the radio.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

That can help big time never thought about it. Majority of them just never seen a
rc car especial traveling for competition
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Considering the way people I see every day react to my attempts to explain 8th scale racing, the airport security folks would be fun to deal with.

I've been gate-raped before without RC cars, so...
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

I'd take apart your radio so it looks more innocent and put the circuit boards under the liner in your shoes.

Then I'd recommend strapping all your shock fluid bottles to your chest with deans wire and wheel balencing putty.

Then disassemble the car and keep it in your backpack, it's safer all taken apart. It's the holiday season, extra points for flashing green and red LED's.

Can't you guys just FedEx your gear straight to your hotel? Lock it up in a few giant Pelican 6000 series cubes.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

To ship Large Plano Type cases out of Canada Is BIG time expensive.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

i have heard some odd things about lipos...

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-ca...loose-lithium/

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS313201629720100206
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

Consumer electronic devices: (watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers, camcorders, etc.) containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries when carried by passengers or crew for personal use which should be carried as carry-on baggage. Spare batteries must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placing in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery or cells in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch) and carried in carry-on baggage only. In addition, each installed or spare battery must not exceed the following:

* For lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 grams; or
* For lithium ion batteries, a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh.

With the approval of the operator, lithium ion batteries exceeding 100 Wh rating but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried as spare batteries in carry-on baggage or in equipment in either checked or carry-on baggage. No more than two individually protected spare batteries per passenger or crew may be carried.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...-menu-1574.htm
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This is crazy!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fallguy
Consumer electronic devices: (watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers, camcorders, etc.) containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries when carried by passengers or crew for personal use which should be carried as carry-on baggage. Spare batteries must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placing in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery or cells in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch) and carried in carry-on baggage only. In addition, each installed or spare battery must not exceed the following:

* For lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 grams; or
* For lithium ion batteries, a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh.

With the approval of the operator, lithium ion batteries exceeding 100 Wh rating but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried as spare batteries in carry-on baggage or in equipment in either checked or carry-on baggage. No more than two individually protected spare batteries per passenger or crew may be carried.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...-menu-1574.htm

Thx for posting Brad, Ive done the calculation's on Wh before and i was Far Shy of the limit with my 5 900mah Rx packs and 2 4S 5000's

some of the rules are sketchy and aren't enforced to the fullest.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
Thx for posting Brad, Ive done the calculation's on Wh before and i was Far Shy of the limit with my 5 900mah Rx packs and 2 4S 5000's

some of the rules are sketchy and aren't enforced to the fullest.

Just some funny stuff.. we order from mc master carr all the time.. and for the most part the stuff we order shows up in two days... this last order took longer and we thought it was odd... so when it showed up the box said "not for air shipping", and it it also had another sticker "lithium battery inside"

the funny thing was we only ordered a stop watch and a few other things

i told my dad cause i thought it was funny and he said there was some posters at the airports as well..

turns out a few years ago a UPS plane went down killing the two pilots, they were shipping lipos.. And they think that might of caused the crash.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Zerodefect;8429940]I'd take apart your radio so it looks more innocent and put the circuit boards under the liner in your shoes.

Then I'd recommend strapping all your shock fluid bottles to your chest with deans wire and wheel balencing putty.

Then disassemble the car and keep it in your backpack, it's safer all taken apart. It's the holiday season, extra points for flashing green and red LED's.

Now that's flippin funny!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I'd take apart your radio so it looks more innocent and put the circuit boards under the liner in your shoes.

Can't you guys just FedEx your gear straight to your hotel? Lock it up in a few giant Pelican 6000 series cubes.
karadeen was funnier

you always come up with good sh!t man
Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fallguy
Just some funny stuff.. we order from mc master carr all the time.. and for the most part the stuff we order shows up in two days... this last order took longer and we thought it was odd... so when it showed up the box said "not for air shipping", and it it also had another sticker "lithium battery inside"

the funny thing was we only ordered a stop watch and a few other things

i told my dad cause i thought it was funny and he said there was some posters at the airports as well..

turns out a few years ago a UPS plane went down killing the two pilots, they were shipping lipos.. And they think that might of caused the crash.

Funny thing is, After all the calls i made asking question's and one question in particular. "Why is it critical to have the batteries on your carry on Vs your Checked baggage" And the answer i got in the end was that IF there were to be an indecent they would prefer it to be in the cabin where a flight attendant could potentially deal with the situation.

Funny part on that is Lipo's aren't exactly easy to put out if you know what i mean, The likely hood of them having a bucket of sand is Slim to nil.

I even inquired about lipo sacks and All of the agencies i talked to either didn't know about them or said they weren't mandatory despite me telling them what they could prevent.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Where are you flying to from Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.