Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
With everything it is relative- and I can talk about slip angles and friction but I base my theory on a tight heat race while too many base it on
Sorry been away form the forums for a bit but Mike is prolly the closest. With the inboard toe now being run on most cars you have a couple of things going on but the most relative to the discussion is the hingepin location. With the narrow rear hinge pins that most of the Tamiya set-ups are based on you have alot of weight transfer entry-midcorner. That weight transfer is what is being controlled with the rear toe by giving the extra stability.

Katzer try the extra rear toe I spent alot of time on rear widths and toe angles with my 415 and MS and kept coming back to a 2.5 to 3 range. Same goes for the TA05. Also try a touch of spacing(1-2mm) at the hub to give a bit of "sweep" to the link this also will help calm the rear. The magic spot I found on most surfaces for the 05 was middle rear of the 5 inboard holes. And middle of the hub with 1.5mm under the outer ball stud. 1XC and 1B toe blocks for 2.5d of rear toe all on the 0d hubs and LW suspension. Dawsons setup (2nd place 05 NAts) was about identical with the regular suspension.

After TCS up here in April I'll prolly be building another Sedan and spending some time there again. 1/12th has been a nice diversion for awhile though.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by zipp
after some careful observation, i actually think that the silver kit springs are even stiffer than the blues!

comparison between silver, yellow and blue springs:

coil diameter: 1.4mm
coils: yellow - just short of 7
blue - 6.3 approx.
silver - 6

moreover, the silver springs are slightly narrower in terms of spring width, averaging 15.8mm compared to 16mm of the yellow and blue. and we all know a narrower spring=less coils=stiffer

disclaimer: this is just my observation!! tamiya may have used a different metal in the kit springs for all i know!
So you think its even stiffer than blue? That's why I posted it previously that the stock springs are too stiff so I switched to yellow. Just wish tamiya would clear it up.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipp
after some careful observation, i actually think that the silver kit springs are even stiffer than the blues!
Zipp what you don't have in the equation is the wire diameter. While the coil diameter and less coils all change properties, what really changes is the rate. The silver will be "less progressive" the spring rate will actually stiffen faster with the less coils even though both springs might have the same weight rating. Remember spring "rate" is load increase over a given distance. so a 10lb spring might equal 1" movement and the load increase is 10lb over that given 1". Simple explanation but you get the idea.

So how all that relates would be that initial tension on the silver might be lighter but as the car rolls the spring ramp would be quicker.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
With everything it is relative- and I can talk about slip angles and friction but I base my theory on a tight heat race while too many base it on
practicing hot laps. My theory is simple really- the less time you are in the corner the faster your corner speed. If you run enough rear toe that you can dive in strong and punch the throttle sooner coming out because of STABILITY the less time you are techinically in the corner. I mean come on- how many times have we passed cars in the corner because they geeked it? Lots! Why? Because their car isn't stable enough in the corner. And why do we pass cars on the straight? Because the more hooked up car coming out of the corner sets up the straights and hits max rpm sooner than the car that had to 'tip toe' through the corner.
btw-I run with 2.5deg of rear toe for stability and .5deg of front toe out if I need more initial steering with a 19turn.

Yo Kev- yes I'll be at La Mirada this week
thanks mr rydwell and mr. garber... (see you in the 19T class this weekend mike..... now if you can only get your fellow past champ ian aquino to come out and race. )

time to go fishing
Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking RE: "I think were going to need a bigger pole"

Originally Posted by Hebiki
thanks mr rydwell and mr. garber... (see you in the 19T class this weekend mike..... now if you can only get your fellow past champ ian aquino to come out and race. )

time to go fishing
I guess my set-up wasn't as WRONG as some people might have thought!
Thanks guys!
Time for me to go FISHING too!!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Difuser
Zipp what you don't have in the equation is the wire diameter.
i called it coil diameter

but yeah, did measure it and all 3 were 1.4mm
Old 02-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

This is just my opinion when it comes to setting up cars,
I would take somebody's set up and start from there,satoshi or who ever.

I would drive the car and see how it feels, make some adjustments to suit my driving style.

Bottom line, it does not matter if my car is dialed, I could let some driver try it and they would not like how it feels, tune your car the way it will suit your driving style.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hebiki

time to go fishing
Sure n.p. Should see you Sunday!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering if someone could tell me if I switched to Tamiya titanium turnbuckles on the TA05 how many would I need and what sizes.

So far I found 2 sizes 3x28mm and 3x32mm. I want to order my car but I want to order a couple of hop ups at the same time. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alang
I was wondering if someone could tell me if I switched to Tamiya titanium turnbuckles on the TA05 how many would I need and what sizes.

So far I found 2 sizes 3x28mm and 3x32mm. I want to order my car but I want to order a couple of hop ups at the same time. Thanks for the help.

You need (1) 3x40mm. and (6) 3x28mm. long
Old 02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
sup
Tech Addict

how about screw sizes? i was read your sig, slotmachine, and found a link to the aluminum fasteners. good prices btw. tia!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

spring questions:

I usually run foam tires never rubber, but this coming TCS I'll be running rubber tires, what would be the height difference if your going to put in the shorty springs?(currently I'm using the longer versions and switching from foam to rubber made a 3mm. height increase)
What else should I do to keep the height lower?(I tried putting in 2 O rings inside the shocks)

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

oops
Old 02-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sup
how about screw sizes? i was read your sig, slotmachine, and found a link to the aluminum fasteners. good prices btw. tia!

OK you need 34 flathead 3x8mm............and 22 buttonhead 3x8mm
I did not replace everything because some of tem are either very short or very lonh........ see pics.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-aluminum-screws-001.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-aluminum-screws-002.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-aluminum-screws-003.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-aluminum-screws-004.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-aluminum-screws-005.jpg  

Old 02-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

last one
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-aluminum-screws-006.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.