Search

Android app for Roll-Out and Final Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 PM
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Android app for Roll-Out and Final Drive

Just wanted to introduce the next version of a new app I just placed on the AndroidMarket. It is named "RC Gears". It is a simple rollout and final drive calculator.

It is version 2.0 and now costs $0.99. The original version was named "Gears!". I renamed this version because of name clashes with a toolkit that Google used to develop by the same name. RC Gears is more appropriate for this app anyway. I have added the ability to store up to 5 sets of calculations by model name. This makes it easier to use when racing multiple cars on the same day.

You can post here for any questions or problems you might have.

I hope it is self-explanatory, but if not, here is a quick start...

When app first opens, you can type in a model name for the first page of settings you will define.

Next you need to enter your cars Internal Drive Ratio. For pan cars/direct drive axles, you would enter 1.0. For all other cars enter the correct value, like 1.83 for a Losi JRX-S Type R touring car...

Next pick you tire type, foam or rubber. This determines if you are gonna calculate Roll Out or Final Drive Ratio. For Foam it will use tire diameter to calculate a Roll Out value. For Rubber, it will calculate Final Drive Ratio.

Next, you must enter values for all but 1 of the remaining fields. Then hit the calculate button. If you left a field blank, then that field will be calculated. If you have values in all the fields, then the Final Drive Ratio or Roll Out will be recalculated based upon the other values.

Next to the Calculate button are two arrow buttons. They allow you to quickly navigate to the other pages for storage. You settings are remembered as you leave one page and go to another. This version will allow 5 different models to be stored.

That is it.

I am interested in fixing any errors you might find, and adding other features in the future, so feel free to post anything here (be nice ).

Last edited by jrp; 10-15-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Excellent, thanks a lot for this.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

First timer here. When I go to android market I see Featured, Top Free and Top Paid. Isn't there a search button or something?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Barry White
First timer here. When I go to android market I see Featured, Top Free and Top Paid. Isn't there a search button or something?
On my Droid X, running android2.1 if you click on the magnifying glass in the header, it opens a search box to type in. I can also, hit the options button to bring up a Search menu item.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
On my Droid X, running android2.1 if you click on the magnifying glass in the header, it opens a search box to type in. I can also, hit the options button to bring up a Search menu item.
I only have V1.6 on my Xperia 10 mini. The webpage shows just the same as opening it up with my computer
Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

nice software...use it in my htc desire..
Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Can you add a Menu with Exit as an item? Otherwise you need to use Advanced Task Killer, or do a Force Close to kill the app.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Can you add a Menu with Exit as an item? Otherwise you need to use Advanced Task Killer, or do a Force Close to kill the app.
My ears must of been burning, because I was just thinking I should at least add an Exit menu item. I'll get on that as soon as possible. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Regional Moderator

And maybe a clear button for each item. Trying to select the entire field to delete it a PITA, same for pressing the backspace button a bunch of times. Other than those minor issues, nice job, Jim.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Great work, thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Much better than the other similar app for android that didn't have rollout.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Just uploaded an update to the Android Market that includes an "Exit" menu item. Kind of goes against the whole Android application life cycle, ie. Android likes to manage the apps in memory itself, but nonetheless seems to kill the app when used.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

And maybe a clear button for each item. Trying to select the entire field to delete it a PITA, same for pressing the backspace button a bunch of times. Other than those minor issues, nice job, Jim.
+1

Thanks for the effort!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Joe, if you "long press" in the field you want to clear, do you get a menu that includes "Cut All" ? I am seeing various different results on Long Press, but that should give you a Cut option.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by jrp
Joe, if you "long press" in the field you want to clear, do you get a menu that includes "Cut All" ? I am seeing various different results on Long Press, but that should give you a Cut option.
Jim -

On a Droid running the latest Froyo (FRG22D), all I get on a long press is "Copy All". No "Cut All". Nice that your app remembers the last values.

Edit: Apparently, you need to select the field first, then long press to get the entire menu. For example, if the Internal Ratio box is outlined in red (or is it orange), if you long press on any other box, all you get is "Copy All". If you first select that box so that it is highlighted, a long press gets you the full edit menu. One of the many quirks of Android, I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.