Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rampokker
The type of motor you'll be using will have a big impact on gearing. We run a Reds 21.5t motor in NZ as a controlled motor.
I'm currently geared at 3.06 (66/41 - Spur/Pinion) for a medium to large size outdoor track.

So would that Reds 21.5t motor be a 0 timing motor?
When asking these questions, I wonder how we compare motors??

James
Old 07-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

So I have ball diffs and gear diffs, and I am not sure if I have a solid spool for the front. I am on black carpet (HI TRACTION) so I would not want to use a spool anyway correct???

James
Old 07-05-2018, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
So would that Reds 21.5t motor be a 0 timing motor?
When asking these questions, I wonder how we compare motors??

James
No the Reds motor has adjustable timing. All the clubs in NZ had a vote and it was decided to use adjustable timing motor.
In the end the reds motor was chosen as the controlled motor and I must say it has been working well. Adjustable timing still allows people to find the mix of gearing and motor timing that suits them.
We still have the fast and not so fast guys Personally I like the fact that getting the right gearing and motor timing setting can still give you an edge over the guy that just copies someone else's setup.

I'm not sure how to compare motors to be honest. The right gearing and motor timing can really make a motor. And vice versa too.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

I see there is a skyrc motor tester, looks interesting.. at least to tell me what I have. There was a guy on youtube that said you want the motor to perform at approx 6amps. On most of the motors he was testing that was cranking it up to 45+ degrees of timing.

I think I will start with the motors I have at there upper end of the timing, see what I can do as a 3-3.5 FDR to start and go from there. My selection of pinions and Spurs in limited at the moment.

I am looking forward to playing again. I really am not worried about adjustments that I am missing in a T4'14'15' etc.. because I really was not good enough to see what needed adjusting on my 11 or 12, so for now I will try to get my driving to the point where making stiffness and rollcentre adjustments make things much better.

I know most of that is just learning to see what is happening on the track and converting that to an adjustment on the car.... but that is a process too.

James
Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

So I have ball diffs and gear diffs, and I am not sure if I have a solid spool for the front. I am on black carpet (HI TRACTION) so I would not want to use a spool anyway correct???

James
still hoping to get an answer for this, as I have disassembled the car, and in puting it back together I have both ball diffs and gear diffs, but I do not think I have a locking axle spool. I think I can get one for the T3.. but what about just locking the diff? OR running crazy thick oil in the gear diff.

I know that the spool will help create some push in the front end. The black CRC carpet is crazy grippy once you get warmed up, so I figure either a very tight ball diff or a thick gear diff will be almost as good to me as to a really fast guy using a spool?? does that sound right??

James
Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

still hoping to get an answer for this, as I have disassembled the car, and in puting it back together I have both ball diffs and gear diffs, but I do not think I have a locking axle spool. I think I can get one for the T3.. but what about just locking the diff? OR running crazy thick oil in the gear diff.

I know that the spool will help create some push in the front end. The black CRC carpet is crazy grippy once you get warmed up, so I figure either a very tight ball diff or a thick gear diff will be almost as good to me as to a really fast guy using a spool?? does that sound right??

James
I have 2 T3s ,one is a 11 the other a 12 . My cars both have Front and Rear gear diffs . with 30k oil in the front , and 5k in the rear with the gear diff in the front I have more consistant steering then with the spool . Almost everyone I know runs spools , I would try the diff first, but that is against current thinking.
I do like ball diffs too but I think they have very limited tuning options .
Bikerbob likes this.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the response Lone Drifter, are you running them as TC?? or drift cars?

And.. if your ever getting rid of the T3 stuff.. msg me first

James
Old 07-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Anyone think the steering going from inline front to back to side to side makes a real difference?

James
Old 07-15-2018, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can't lose anything by trying the thick oil in the front diff. I've got 100k in the front of my son's t3 on a medium grip outdoor track in 21.5 blinky class. Start with a thick oil and work down. I've read of guys even running putty to get the diff thick enough. Unfortunately I've never run on high bite carpet so can't help you there.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the response Lone Drifter, are you running them as TC?? or drift cars?

And.. if your ever getting rid of the T3 stuff.. msg me first

James
No not for Drifting , I run the T3s in USGT and Trophy cup ( a local Hobbywing 21.5 Spec class)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

So need another body soon. Looking at whats out there.. anyone have an opinion on anything that might be better for black carpet and slow motors? I am running 21.5t.. .maybe at best 17.5t

I like the bittydesign M15 and M410 .. but I am open to suggestions.

James
Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

So need another body soon. Looking at whats out there.. anyone have an opinion on anything that might be better for black carpet and slow motors? I am running 21.5t.. .maybe at best 17.5t

James
can’t go wrong with the. 410
Old 07-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

James
The Protoform LTC-R lightweight is a good option. I find the lightweight bodies hold up better, than the regular weight bodies.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Two T3'S? Those are great cars, you're a very lucky young man!

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
I have 2 T3s ,one is a 11 the other a 12 . My cars both have Front and Rear gear diffs . with 30k oil in the front , and 5k in the rear with the gear diff in the front I have more consistant steering then with the spool . Almost everyone I know runs spools , I would try the diff first, but that is against current thinking.
I do like ball diffs too but I think they have very limited tuning options .
Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by outlandr91
Two T3'S? Those are great cars, you're a very lucky young man!
Yes I Am !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.