Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

KidDynomite- Just read the site and man it's got great stuff on there. Now I have the car to relate to it and thats what makes it better. I'm already going to see if the shop here has the alum hex hubs and the extra parts to create the front diff. The thicker shock tower will be next,universals and from then on it'd be spare parts, spare parts, and more spare parts. Basically the recommended items will be bought in one shot if I can. To add to the collection I also dislike the position of the rear sway bar and will upgrade to the optional one. Other than that I'll do what others do - mostly race it stock. This car has potential as I run a stock MRX4 which I have no issues with...except for the fact I nearly got disqualified because it was too light?!

To all- If I do make the front diff...what's a good starting point since the rear has 10k? Should I change it all around? I'm waiting for a friend of mine to come on for his setup as he runs at the tracks I do, but any others will be appreciated. Also, I had to use an optional collet to install my Carlsen OS. Using this setup though now I'm not able to install any shims. The clutch feels nice and tight as the clutchbell can move outward VERY little. I was left with option when I had the Ofna CD3 PRO centax on that car and the R40. I had no issue though, so should it be the same with the Mugen - zero issue?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
KidDynomite- Just read the site and man it's got great stuff on there. Now I have the car to relate to it and thats what makes it better. I'm already going to see if the shop here has the alum hex hubs and the extra parts to create the front diff. The thicker shock tower will be next,universals and from then on it'd be spare parts, spare parts, and more spare parts. Basically the recommended items will be bought in one shot if I can. To add to the collection I also dislike the position of the rear sway bar and will upgrade to the optional one. Other than that I'll do what others do - mostly race it stock. This car has potential as I run a stock MRX4 which I have no issues with...except for the fact I nearly got disqualified because it was too light?!

To all- If I do make the front diff...what's a good starting point since the rear has 10k? Should I change it all around? I'm waiting for a friend of mine to come on for his setup as he runs at the tracks I do, but any others will be appreciated. Also, I had to use an optional collet to install my Carlsen OS. Using this setup though now I'm not able to install any shims. The clutch feels nice and tight as the clutchbell can move outward VERY little. I was left with option when I had the Ofna CD3 PRO centax on that car and the R40. I had no issue though, so should it be the same with the Mugen - zero issue?

50k front, 30k rear
Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Someone asked this earlier but I didn't see an answer. Does anyone know what shore tires come with the MTX-4 kit? Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Stefan- Thanks. Also, how about if I ran the solid rear axle setup in the front what gear oil would you recommend then?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JetMD
Someone asked this earlier but I didn't see an answer. Does anyone know what shore tires come with the MTX-4 kit? Thanks.
I called Mugenusa and asked the question. I was told 40 shore front and rear
Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
To all- If I do make the front diff...what's a good starting point since the rear has 10k? Should I change it all around? I'm waiting for a friend of mine to come on for his setup as he runs at the tracks I do, but any others will be appreciated.
I run 30K front, 10K rear - same as I do in the RRR. I also use Kyosho diff oil. Just be prepared to try different combinations. We all run on different tracks.

Originally Posted by HarkonnenD
Also, I had to use an optional collet to install my Carlsen OS. Using this setup though now I'm not able to install any shims. The clutch feels nice and tight as the clutchbell can move outward VERY little. I was left with option when I had the Ofna CD3 PRO centax on that car and the R40. I had no issue though, so should it be the same with the Mugen - zero issue?
I had the same problem with my TZ. I think the shaft is too short. To solve this problem, I sanded the collet by 0.2mm. Here is what I did:

I mounted the collet in the flywheel, put a 1-2 drops of after-run oil on 400 grit sandpaper, put the collet on the oil and then moved the flywheel in a small figure eight, eight times, applying a moderate amount of pressue. I then put a 1-2 drops of oil in another spot, rotated the flywheel 90-degrees and repeated the procedure until I shaved off the 0.2mm. Moving the flywheel in a figure eight and rotating it helps ensure that you don't create a high spot - well, that's the theory at least.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

just curious whos got the best deal on an mtx4 keep it on the low pm me with the details holla
Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
just curious whos got the best deal on an mtx4 keep it on the low pm me with the details holla
solo you you better not!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JetMD
If I remember correctly,, it comes with 35 shore tires
Old 02-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro_moe
If I remember correctly,, it comes with 35 shore tires
It used to come with 37's. They could change at any time.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

high traction: 50.000 front and 30.000 rear
lower traction: 30.000 front and 10.000 rear

but not everytime diff-diff is the best combination
Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaykay
high traction: 50.000 front and 30.000 rear
lower traction: 30.000 front and 10.000 rear

but not everytime diff-diff is the best combination
Diff - diff is not always the best combo
I alway thought that a one-way was a diff
Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Tech Champion

When using gear diff at front, does it matter to keep 1:1 ratio for tire split ? Or slightly overdrive or underdrive ? Let me remind you, rear tires usually wear faster than front. What expert suggest ? Tks.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I called Mugenusa and asked the question. I was told 40 shore front and rear
They feel a little firm since I usually run 38's so 40's sounds about right. Thank you. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
When using gear diff at front, does it matter to keep 1:1 ratio for tire split ? Or slightly overdrive or underdrive ? Let me remind you, rear tires usually wear faster than front. What expert suggest ? Tks.

You really need to measure your tire wear during qaulifying and you should decide on that. Look at your o/d chart and make sure to run the correct pulley when running tire splits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.