Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, a cooked bearing can really throw off the car. Need a Mazda 6?

Last edited by coastaltony; 10-13-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:29 PM
lee
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

StewartFan20
Was this at region 8 regionals? If it was than it could be that the track conditions was changing. It seem to have good traction one round and then ok traction the next and then it seemed to have dry spots the next.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by StewartFan20
I took my Pro4 to a regional event this past weekend. It did some wierd things and was wondering if anyone had experienced this.

There was one time in particular where I took my car out for practice after making some changes. The car handled great. The best it had been all weekend. After I ran a few laps of practice, I took the car off the track and back to my pits. I put the car on a setup station to check the camber and toe. I then checked the ride hight and tweak. Did not make any changes to it. The next time I took the car out, in a qualifier, it handled like doo-doo. It was not even close to the same care that I ran in practice.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Oh, I was running foams on ozite with the 3mm BMI chassis.

Thanks
i have the same set up as you and i did expierince what you had i figured out that there was to much bite on the track so changeing to a stiffer tire like from double pinks to purples help out alot so it wasnt the car its the track conditions that make the car handle like doo doo runnoing carpet is naver the same it always changes depending on how many people run on it.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Erik: I'm sure during your R&D of the Pro4, you must have tested different battery positions. What effects did you notice when running the batteres toward the front (approx 15mm) vs running towards the rear in relation to where the battery sits now? And why did you settle on the current placement of the batteries? Honestly, I think that the Pro4 could benefit from running the batts forward approx 12-15mm for carpet racing.

Currently the car is great on carpet, however I feel the car leans towards pivoting around the corner vs rotating. What are your thoughts? Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally posted by StewartFan20
I checked the bearing before the race. During the weekend, I did not notice any bad bearings. That is something I am going to check tonight when I tear the car apart.
i once came across this problem too. in my case, the rear outer hinge pin broke in its place, but you wont notice it because the whole pin is still in the arm/hub. BUT it will make your sus arm movement sticky....hence the wierd handling problem. hope it helps....
Old 03-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Proteus
Erik: I'm sure during your R&D of the Pro4, you must have tested different battery positions. What effects did you notice when running the batteres toward the front (approx 15mm) vs running towards the rear in relation to where the battery sits now? And why did you settle on the current placement of the batteries? Honestly, I think that the Pro4 could benefit from running the batts forward approx 12-15mm for carpet racing.

Currently the car is great on carpet, however I feel the car leans towards pivoting around the corner vs rotating. What are your thoughts? Thanks,

Jeff
There are a few companies in Japan that make a high grip chassis for the PRO4 that have the motor and batteries moved FWD about 2mm and the chassis is a little bit mare narrow by 3mm overall....I have been using this chassis over the past 2 months and it makes big difference on turn in.. but it also make the tires wear a tad bit faster in the front...

Just may take on it
-Dave
Old 03-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Was just wondering if anyone knows the difference between the US and Japanese Pro4 kits. I know the US version has MIP CVD where as the Jap spec has a Tamiya style CVD. Any other differences?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Anybody try the "Square" aluminum front-one way gear. My bevel gear stripped . So instead of buying another bevel gear, I was wondering if the aluminum is better.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by axel
Anybody try the "Square" aluminum front-one way gear. My bevel gear stripped . So instead of buying another bevel gear, I was wondering if the aluminum is better.
I though that same thing one day. And if that big gear is aluminium so why small gear is still plastic?

Or am i wrong
Old 03-02-2005, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dontfeelcold- what ive found is that the jap spec cvd, dont ware out. thee holes where the pins go through instead of being alluminium are in the axle, basically mip design backwards. i just wish that off road cars would follow this, the alloy bones in 4wd mod dont last long!
Old 03-02-2005, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by lee
StewartFan20
Was this at region 8 regionals? If it was than it could be that the track conditions was changing. It seem to have good traction one round and then ok traction the next and then it seemed to have dry spots the next.

Yes, this was at the Region 8 Chapionships. I can understand the track changing conditions as the weekend went on. I just have a hard time believing the track could change that much in about an hour. But then again it was my first race on a track that size with ozite carpet.

I did tear the car down last night. Nothing broken and all bearings are in working order.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

I need a set-up for high grip carpet. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally posted by tc3stocker
I need a set-up for high grip carpet. Thanks in advance.
what are you running....rubber or foams?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Proteus

Jeff
Jeff, the overall weight balance is definately affected by battery placement, but with cells weighing roughly 60g each (give or take depending on the specific cell), you can easily acheive the same weight balance as a cells forward position with your ballast positioning. For a stock car (2.5mm chassis), the car is easily underweight even with an additional 60g of ballast added. So, when you bring the car up to weight, just add weight in front of the batteries, in front of the servo, and up front under the shaft. We didn't feel that our car benefitted from a large movement of the batteries (a whole slot forward or back). For me its a compromise either way, so we chose what worked best on our car.

tc3stocker: You can either start here or here
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

JDM_DOHC_SiR: We've definately taken notice of the motor position change there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.