Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by InitialD
So these Mega plugs are different from the NovaMega / RB / Novarossi plugs?
Hi D,

Mega/Picco plug are indeed different from Nova based plugs.

Don't know if I can explain it properly but I'll give it a try.
The thread of the Mega/Picco plug stops about a millimeter before the conical part of the bottom of the plug. The thread of the Nova plugs runs al the way down therefore the Picco plug will fit the Nova combustion chamber. This is because the thread in the Nova combustion chamber also goes all the way down so it doesn't matter if the thread on the Picco plug stops earlier or not. However, in the Picco combustion chamber, the thread stop about 1 millimeter before the conical part. And as the Nova plug needs thread all the way down to the conical part to seal the combustion chamber properly, it wont fit correctly.

I've attached a picture. The left plug is Picco, the right one is Nova. As you can see, the thread of the picco stops about a millimeter before the conical part.

Hope I'll explained it so you have an idea how it fits in the combustion chamber.

Regards,
Maarten
Attached Thumbnails MEGA (by Picco) thread-piccomega.jpg  
Old 01-11-2005, 03:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by speedy100
i found the mega plus is more expenisve than the Picco plug as long as they are the same.

thxs
True indeed. Can't solve that as we have to buy them from Picco.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking

Originally posted by InitialD
Perhaps Serpent should start making orange plugs !
LOL, good idea! Do you have anything to do during the day, D?

I have a bucket of paint and about a thousand plugs, can we sort something out
Old 01-11-2005, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Ron,

Yep. I'll be setting up on Sat. I hope to see you in the mix of it all. Good to hear from ya.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Potje
True indeed. Can't solve that as we have to buy them from Picco.
Do we need to add shim in ZX21 ?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by speedy100
Do we need to add shim in ZX21 ?
Hi Speedy,

Do you mean a head shim? And for the purpose of....?
When you buy an engine, you don't need to add anything, it runs fine as it is supplied.

Regards,
Maarten
Old 01-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware of changing the conrod after break in; not an unusual practice.

My enquiry was about the general running cost of the new Mega/Picco engines. If one has to change the conrod every 1 hour of run time after break in, this adds to the overall cost of these engines.

I've always run Novarossi engines & have found them to be robust & reliable which is what a club racer needs. The top racers can chase endlessly power at high cost.

I think the 'old' Picco engines were known for having, lets say, not the strongest conrods, what has changed with these new engines?

I think the pricing is very good BUT I'm trying to see if I can get an angle on the upkeep costs.

I saw these engines first hand at the Euro's in Luxemburg before they were officially released & they, at the very least, held their own against the MAX, JP's etc.

My questions are for the .21 & .12 race engines.

Many Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

It is always a good idea to change the conrod after breaking in the engine. You can use this conrod 2 or 3 times when you break in your new engines. These engines have so much compression during break in (after breaking in it is just right) that the force applied is tremendous. Therefore, to be save, always change your conrod after breaking in.

Regards,
Maarten
Old 01-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Speedy,

Do you mean a head shim? And for the purpose of....?
When you buy an engine, you don't need to add anything, it runs fine as it is supplied.

Regards,
Maarten
Maarten,

yes,i meant the head shim. How do we judge which air venturie should be used in the new mega ? thxs
Old 01-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm... I guess MegaPicco is using a different plug thread design with Picco. I'm using Picco .12 XP 5 ports quite a while, fit with Nova plug from the begining of engine breakin. So far everything is good, or did I just get lucky?

I can already image what feature will be on MegaPicco based modified engine:
Modified head compatiable with Nova plug.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Instead of worrying about where I can get Mega plugs, I'll just put a Nova head button on it.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by ttso
Hmm... I guess MegaPicco is using a different plug thread design with Picco. I'm using Picco .12 XP 5 ports quite a while, fit with Nova plug from the begining of engine breakin. So far everything is good, or did I just get lucky?

I can already image what feature will be on MegaPicco based modified engine:
Modified head compatiable with Nova plug.
Well, I think I will stick with what Maarten said, using the MEGA plugs for the performance, but those of course, I am sure I will give those leftover NovaMega plug to try and see I will be able to start the engine or running the engine...

About the conrod issue....changing conrod after breakin is standard (already mentioned) but changing conrod after 1 hour of racing.....I am sure that is some individual case.....but if that is a standard practice, then MEGA engine does have a big problem.

About adding head shim.....that is depends on what % of fuel that you are using....20% or less, nothing you need to add, 25%, may be another 1mm shim, 30% fuel, 1mm shim is a must....and I think that is the only reason why ppl add or remove shims.

P.S....now I really forgot, is that 1mm or 0.1mm more shim?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by cdelong
Instead of worrying about where I can get Mega plugs, I'll just put a Nova head button on it.
But I know even NOVA base button have plenty to choose from, I have at least 3 different button (MT12, X12 and RS12) with 3 different thickness at the button plate, which they required its own engine heatsink head in order to get a perfect fit setting....
Old 01-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

For .12, stock Nova already has 0.2mm shim. usually add another 0.1mm for 25% nitro fuel. MegaPicco? I don't know.

1mm shim... maybe 60% nitro.. if it doesn't explode...
Old 01-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
But I know even NOVA base button have plenty to choose from, I have at least 3 different button (MT12, X12 and RS12) with 3 different thickness at the button plate, which they required its own engine heatsink head in order to get a perfect fit setting....
I have a 321P with a Palmaris (WC based) BRB liner set. I used a 3/1 head from a WC for it. I was running it for a while with the stock 2/1 head and a 0.050" custom machined shim. All you need to do is have the correct piston to head clearance ~ 0.028". It's not rocket science.

If you can use a set of calipers you can figure it out......
Old 01-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ttso
For .12, stock Nova already has 0.2mm shim. usually add another 0.1mm for 25% nitro fuel. MegaPicco? I don't know.

1mm shim... maybe 60% nitro.. if it doesn't explode...
Thanks TTSO....I know that doesn't sounds right....but just can't seems to remember is 0.1mm or 1mm.....LOL

I thought typical engines 12 or 21 are standard 0.3mm? Or is 0.2mm like you mentioned....thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.