Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ballsie
I'm having problems with the Low Friction White belts - I keep loosing teeth from them. I must have used 9 or so in a year. I've tried running them loose, normal and tight with no difference. I only run 19t on carpet, but I have a very harsh throttle style.

Has anyone found a decent alternative to the Tamiya item?

Cheers.
The black belts hold on much better, but what Rick suggests is also valid, although i had a front white belt snap after 10 runs even with a new pulley in.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ballsie
I'm having problems with the Low Friction White belts - I keep loosing teeth from them. I must have used 9 or so in a year. I've tried running them loose, normal and tight with no difference. I only run 19t on carpet, but I have a very harsh throttle style.

Has anyone found a decent alternative to the Tamiya item?

Cheers.

Check a few post ago...THere was also a discussion of aftermarket belts.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

anyone no a answer to my question?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

hi,
can anyne tell me were i can get the msx rear diff i need all parts except the diff balls, pulleys.
thanks.
also what effect is people seeing while widening the car or narrowing it by using wheel spacers.iam seeing mopre grip with more spacers or wider it is.but less intial turn in.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
The black belts hold on much better, but what Rick suggests is also valid, although i had a front white belt snap after 10 runs even with a new pulley in.
yes white belts seem to chew up quite alot,especially in mod.
i may go to the black belts.
ive never had a belt snap but the teeth get mangled.i couldnt get a white belt so i just put the adjuster up a couple of clicks.
using a tighter belt adjustment from new maybe a way around this?the belt seems to have a lot of whiplash at the bottom.
i wouldnt mind a belt stablizer at the bottom deck like the one at the top.

ive ordered ta05 diff pulleys so hopefully will help a bit.

rick draper;is the ta05 centre pulleys a direct fit on to the standard 415 layshaft?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Sushi Man
I am very confused...

Do the TA05 center pulleys (51213) 16t plastic pulleys fit on a stock 415??
Where do u bolt it on? there are no like set screws.

It will not fit unless you get the TA05 spurgear holder and the TA05 center shaft as well.
Some modifications are required I guees, I will order the parts and find out!!
Old 02-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys, what can I do to get a little more high-speed, off power turn-in?

My winning streak came to an end today, and whilst I was doing quicker lap times than last race day, it wasn't enough to keep up and I had to settle for 2nd

On some parts of the track the car was just about perfect, but there were two corners where the car was suffering, coming off both the front straight(Bayside 8 picture) and back straight (Bayside 5 picture).

The car just understeered too much into those turns.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-bayside-5-.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-bayside-8-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Eirik
It will not fit unless you get the TA05 spurgear holder and the TA05 center shaft as well.
Some modifications are required I guees, I will order the parts and find out!!

is the centre shaft the same as the tao4 one?
leae tell us any difference and what you found please
Old 02-26-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bender,

here is a couple of things I would look at. The first would be droop, I would be running at least 4mm of rear droop if your having trouble with high-speed off power turn in. Secondly, I would play with the front shock oil, try a lighter weight even if its lighter than the rear. Try increasing the the amount of roll up front, lower the roll center at the front of the car. If that deson't seem to help, try experimenting with inboard toe, say try 1.5 degrees of inboard toe-out then try 0.5 or 1 degrees of outboard toe-out.

You may want to experiment with " positive dive" by adding spacers under the rear block on the front of the car. This really wakes the nose up at high-speed off power.

If you haven't played with bodies, I would start now. Try a Ride Accord type B or maybe even the Ride Stratus Mk. III, they both have pretty good high-speed turn in.

are you running a front & center one-way ?
Old 02-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bender
Guys, what can I do to get a little more high-speed, off power turn-in?

My winning streak came to an end today, and whilst I was doing quicker lap times than last race day, it wasn't enough to keep up and I had to settle for 2nd

On some parts of the track the car was just about perfect, but there were two corners where the car was suffering, coming off both the front straight(Bayside 8 picture) and back straight (Bayside 5 picture).

The car just understeered too much into those turns.

Any suggestions?
can you post your set up,since you said your car was almost perfect and just a couple of corners need more steering id say this should be a fine tuning thing.
could be roll center or jus a chnage to shock oil.
post your set up and thatl help
Old 02-26-2006, 03:01 AM
Tech Master

@Jack2 / TRF Racer

Ok my setup is attached. Some of things you've mentioned I am already running, such as inboard toe-out on the front and double one-ways.

I completely forgot about droop - that is something I'll try next time.

I have to be careful that I make adjustments that increase steering in those 2 corners only - as the car is already on th elimit of oversteer elsewhere on the track.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-bayside_feb26.jpg  
Old 02-26-2006, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

all id change on that set up is 2mm of spacers behind front wishbones and 30wt shock oil all round.
will be quicker in corners and have slightly more steering.
also you could try HPI silver springs all round,very good outdoors and will make the front slighlty softer and the baslighly stiffer to what your running now,may make the difference.
if not atleast try the spacer and shock oil thing.
if you did that that would be almost exactly my outdoor set up although i use a a block behind the front wishbone aswell
Old 02-26-2006, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trf racer
all id change on that set up is 2mm of spacers behind front wishbones and 30wt shock oil all round.
will be quicker in corners and have slightly more steering.
also you could try HPI silver springs all round,very good outdoors and will make the front slighlty softer and the baslighly stiffer to what your running now,may make the difference.
if not atleast try the spacer and shock oil thing.
if you did that that would be almost exactly my outdoor set up although i use a a block behind the front wishbone aswell
sorry also take the rear anti roll bar off.that shoyuld be hooked.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Bender,

1. Make your front upper link longer (#3) and put a 2mm washer under the ballstud.

2. Move your front shocks inn one hole on the front arm (#3)

3. Remove the red foam thing from all your shocks.

4. Take the rear swaybar off.

All of this should help you get more steering, especially at high speed!!

Let me know how it works out!!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys

Would it be possible to explain the ideas behind some of the changes you've mentioned as I'm not sure I understand why some of those changes would help

In particular:

Longer front link with 2mm spacer
Removing red foam from shocks
Lighter shock oil

Also, why would removing the sway bar help? I used it for the first time yesterday and the cars on-power steering was better than it had ever been. If I take it off then isn't it likely that I'll lose that power-on steering?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.